C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's Official....NO days driven in February!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 10:00 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Car ain't worth 2 cents if you can't drive and enjoy the friggen thing.The usual line,you could die tomorrow...just buy it?
What? Let it sit in your garage....Friggen MOVE! Hibernation is for the BEARS...
Need a SALT FREE warm environment.No wonder San Diego is packed with people.Living in cold snow infested area's is a waste of LIFE.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:20 AM
Lacoven
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRAQ...ature=youtu.be

This is how you do it. Was sunny out took a quick drive and picked up a SD card for PDR.
Still hard to get traction in cold.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:22 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Well I have not been able to drive mine in Dec, Jan or Feb. There have been days each of those months it was nice enough. However those were days I was off shore working. Had several 60 degree days in Feb, but I flew home the day of the ice storm that made us in a state of emergency. My wife almost could not get out of our hilly curvy road in a 4x4 to get me. As of yesterday still ice patches on our road.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:41 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Our state (PA) puts so much crap on the road I hate to take any of my vehicles out and slop them up. Winter is so spoiled because of, I would love to take the car out and enjoy driving around on pure unmolested/chemically laden snow. These chemicals can't be good for your health either.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:10 AM
Harry2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 403 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Lacoven
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRAQ...ature=youtu.be

This is how you do it. Was sunny out took a quick drive and picked up a SD card for PDR.
Still hard to get traction in cold.
Your PDR video was great, thanks for posting it.
My last Vette ride was on 11/04, your video makes it even harder to wait for Spring in MN to finally arrive!
Old 03-01-2015, 09:22 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by rhalpin002
I'm soliciting thoughts on starting my 2015 Stingray M7 with 4,000 mi every 3 days, running it for 20-30 minutes (until all temps indicate normal operating temp) when ambient temperature is 25-35 degrees F. Garage temperature varies from 39F -45F. I rev it to 2.5k - 3.5k a few times with the Performance Exhaust in Track Mode to clear out as much of the condensation from the exhaust system as possible (without aggravating the neighbors)...or take it for 1 - 5 mile trip around the block. If I take it around the block I rinse the undercarriage with warm water from a 3 gal pump sprayer to remove any salt residue.
Thanks.
Bad idea - you are better off not starting the car, then starting it and not letting it get fully hot - even 1-5 miles isn't going to do that.
I did start mine this morning for the first time since December to put it on the ramps, so I can spend the day doing some waxing - I find it much easier with the car raised to do so.

If CT roads are anything like those on Long Island, a little warm water won't get all the salt and chemicals off the undercarriage - our roads have so much salt and chemicals on them, that the black asphalt is just about white.

Originally Posted by Larry/car
Our state (PA) puts so much crap on the road I hate to take any of my vehicles out and slop them up. Winter is so spoiled because of, I would love to take the car out and enjoy driving around on pure unmolested/chemically laden snow. These chemicals can't be good for your health either.
We get the same treatment here - our daily drivers are so dirty it is ridiculous - of course it doesn't help that it hasn't been more than 5 degrees above freezing for a daily high temperature since January 5th, and we have had a full 24 hours above freezing since the last week of December. Makes washing the cars an impossibility.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:29 AM
LBinATL
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Guess I'm in the minority but why not slap some winter tires on it and enjoy the car?
Old 03-01-2015, 11:52 AM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Yeah, I don't like taking her out in below 40 weather or with any precipitation, although I was able to put a few miles on her this month I guess last month now
Old 03-01-2015, 11:54 AM
CVG993
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine went from Gearhart to Garage. Put on charger and it's been sitting. Not even warm enough to give it a quick wash and begin detailing. Looks like the weather may finally be breaking.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:54 AM
JDM111er
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

I haven't driven my vette since mid-October. I'm hoping to get it out of hibernation in a few weeks
Old 03-01-2015, 12:01 PM
mikez06
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by C7Joy
Parked mine mid-November, no drive since! Tomorrow is March!
Ditto. Well, it's March and snowing.
Hey, we aren't really complaining, we know what we're up against here in the NorthEast. We don't have to be happy about it though.
Picked up the car Nov. 1st, drove it a bit over 500 miles, that's almost a record up here. Sooooon........maybe.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:09 PM
rhalpin002
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Car ain't worth 2 cents if you can't drive and enjoy the friggen thing.The usual line,you could die tomorrow...just buy it?
What? Let it sit in your garage....Friggen MOVE! Hibernation is for the BEARS...
Need a SALT FREE warm environment.No wonder San Diego is packed with people.Living in cold snow infested area's is a waste of LIFE."

I couldn't agree with you more ...we're driving down to FL in 2 weeks with the all-seasons that I'm installing next weekend. I'd move if I could, but I can't quit my job yet (especially since it's the job that allowed me to buy the Vette)...hoping to be in year-round Vette-friendly weather within the next 5-7 years.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:22 PM
NASTYC7
Drifting

Received 433 Likes on 239 Posts

Guess you need to add to your collection...

Old 03-01-2015, 01:17 PM
Calif Vetteman
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Snappy!
For the first time in 12 years of Corvette ownership, I went through an entire month without driving one of my Vettes.

Snow is falling now and we are suppose to get between 4-6 inches in the next 24 hours.

We were in San Diego 2 weeks ago and it was in the mid 80's. All I could think about is how I wish I had my Stingray with me!
Why didn't you go over to Bob Stall Chevrolet in La Mesa and take a C7 for a test drive.

I'm sure that the fleet manger would have let you

Did you go to the Corvette Diner while you were there ?
Old 03-01-2015, 01:30 PM
Zee51Vert
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Took the tag off end of october. Plan to have her on the street Mai 1st. We have little snow this year but record cold temps ( one day in Feb with the wind was -38C, about the same on your scale)

April in Montreal is warm enough and the snow melts rapidly but the streets are so filthy I prefer to wait untill the streets are cleaned up because of our extra sticky tires....
Old 03-01-2015, 03:47 PM
Mr Snappy!
Melting Slicks

Received 589 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Calif Vetteman
Why didn't you go over to Bob Stall Chevrolet in La Mesa and take a C7 for a test drive.

I'm sure that the fleet manger would have let you

Did you go to the Corvette Diner while you were there ?
LOL...actually we DID go to the Corvette Diner! My boys love it and the food isn't bad...good actually! We usually eat at HoDad's, but this time we had dinner at the Corvette Diner.

I was shocked that during our week in Southern California (We have a condo in Anaheim) I only saw 3 Stingrays! I could not count the Benz's...Christ, do they issue one to every household there?

I had a 2015 Tahoe to drive for the week...I was impressed with it!
Old 03-01-2015, 04:04 PM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Sorry to say, I haven't driven mine much this February either (living in SW Florida). More a traffic issue than weather.

Each area of the country (talking different states) have their own idiosyncratic driving styles. As long as each style remains separate, they seem to co-exist fine. However, bring them all together in Florida for the winter and you have chaos.

Cadillac driving (aiming) "Mr. Magoos" channeling kamikaze pilots looking for the "early bird" special

Come on April 15th.

Get notified of new replies

To It's Official....NO days driven in February!

Old 03-01-2015, 04:52 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Lived in Iowa for 57 years - ever since I've owned vehicles I've stored something over the winter. Always had a nice daily driver so never needed to drive the stored vehicle. It's a personal choice - but after as little as 3-5 years you can definitely see the difference in the undercarriage and overall body/paint in a vehicle that's been stored vs. driven in the winters. Winters can be rough here - a LOT of stuff thrown on the roads for melting and traction. It's also a treat to get the vehicle out again and use it after a 5 month hibernation. I ride a bicycle more than I drive annually so a car is an important toy to me but it isn't the end all (I'd give up the Vette before I gave up cycling). People who live in the midwest tend to really value the people and the experiences in the midwest - believe it or not as undesirable some who live in the south or other warmer climates view the midwest some of us in the midwest think the same about other parts of the country. The cold winters do tend to keep the riff-raff out.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:58 PM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,684 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Originally Posted by LBinATL
Guess I'm in the minority but why not slap some winter tires on it and enjoy the car?
Some of us don't want to get salt on the undercarriage. Also, when driving on winter roads, you can hear all the sand getting thrown up onto the lower body panels sandblasting off the paint.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:22 PM
wkidvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Have not driven my C6 since November and my C7 since early January.

Quick Reply: It's Official....NO days driven in February!