Sponsored by:

Hill Start Assist

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 04:37 PM
Bavaria
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Hill Start Assist

I have M7 and assumed this was a standard feature. However, recently having been stopped at a red light at the top of a slight incline, I noticed the car rolled back when I took my foot off the brake. I was in 1st gear at the time. Is this feature an option, or was I doing something wrong?
Thanks.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:59 PM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

The incline has to be steep enough to activate the feature. Slight inclines won't do it. Hill start assist is standard on all m7 cars.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:02 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I hate the feature. I'm used to manually handling this myself (no pun intended). I tend to get a minor/slight studder once the car takes off because I'm not used to fighting a light brake application.

As far as I know there's no way to disable it. Correct?
Old 02-28-2015, 05:38 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by Nosferatu
I hate the feature. I'm used to manually handling this myself (no pun intended). I tend to get a minor/slight studder once the car takes off because I'm not used to fighting a light brake application.

Can't disable. The system needs to be improved, there are all kinds of electronic indicators, hill hold should have an indicator when the brake is applied. On a slight grade if you apply the brake and let the car drift back slightly, hill hold will engage.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:42 PM
beachcomber
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

In Tampa I can understand wanting to disable it. Here in Colorado I'm thankful for HSA every time I drive the car! Also, seems like these young kids nowadays seem to get right on your tail at a stoplight.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:20 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

I really wish there was a way to turn this off.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:22 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Bavaria
I have M7 and assumed this was a standard feature. However, recently having been stopped at a red light at the top of a slight incline, I noticed the car rolled back when I took my foot off the brake. I was in 1st gear at the time. Is this feature an option, or was I doing something wrong?
Thanks.
Becasue of our very few small hills in our area I don't get to see if it works often. But what I believe I have found, when it does activate, it appears you have a little over a second when you take your foot off the brake and it lets loose. I really can't be positive since they is no way to tell for sure it activated!
Old 02-28-2015, 07:49 PM
stevedun
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Cruise-In 8-9-10-12 Veteran

I am not a fan of it either. I almost kill it waiting for the clutch to let go while I give it throttle. The clutch disengages before you feel it and know the brake is holding. Just used to a regular manual and have no problem controlling the roll back.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:40 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

I've always taken pride in being to launch on a hill without rolling back and not having to slip the clutch. HSA feels like it's always screwing with me.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:49 PM
Digfoot
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Becasue of our very few small hills in our area I don't get to see if it works often. But what I believe I have found, when it does activate, it appears you have a little over a second when you take your foot off the brake and it lets loose. I really can't be positive since they is no way to tell for sure it activated!
Yer right
Old 02-28-2015, 09:19 PM
Bavaria
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 93 Posts

Thanks for all replies - clarification appreciated. I had this feature in a BMW and appreciated it, especially (as noted) when some nitwit stopped a foot behind me on a hill.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:38 PM
slesher
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

HSA is probably the only feature I hate on the C7. Wish there was away to tune it out.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:58 PM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Technology is great, I really like it and would have paid extra to have it.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:02 PM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

That's not brake application you're fighting. That must be improper clutch, gas coordination. The hill assist is released as soon as my foot is off the brake and applying throttle in my car. I can't understand all the griping about helpful features such as this and Rev matching. Maybe GM should just go steering column shifters and cable clutches to satisfy some of you.

Last edited by Mdm23; 02-28-2015 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:31 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

I have some nasty hills in my area. While I don't sweat most inclines there is one that I would just refuse to use as it was like the 25% grade and if you got stuck at the light, you were burning up your clutch or rolling backwards, quickly. I no have no fear of this particular intersection in my M7.

I like the HSA and glad I have it.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:26 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

I'm quite surprised by all of the hate for this feature. I use it often and find that it works very well.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:35 PM
Jbal
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
I'm quite surprised by all of the hate for this feature. I use it often and find that it works very well.
Just LOVE hill assist! Thanks GM!

Get notified of new replies

To Hill Start Assist

Old 03-01-2015, 01:06 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Mdm23
That's not brake application you're fighting. That must be improper clutch, gas coordination. The hill assist is released as soon as my foot is off the brake and applying throttle in my car. I can't understand all the griping about helpful features such as this and Rev matching. Maybe GM should just go steering column shifters and cable clutches to satisfy some of you.
It's not improper clutch, gas coordination. Maybe I didn't clarify it clear enough. The car you are fighting a load (minor) with the HSA applied. I'm used to just fighting natural gravity.

I'm not happy with the feature because there isn't an option to DISABLE it. I think the rev-matching is a great feature and do use it at times.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:25 AM
SMFCPACFP
Safety Car

Received 101 Likes on 39 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Nothing like trying something new in traffic.

I suggest for those of you who don't like this feature to find a hilly spot with no traffic and experiment with it. That is what I intend to do when I get my new Z06. Hopefully I will learn to appreciate it. We have some steep hills in high traffic areas where many people pull right up to your bumper.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:52 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

It's not improper clutch, gas coordination. Maybe I didn't clarify it clear enough. The car you are fighting a load (minor) with the HSA applied. I'm used to just fighting natural gravity.

I'm not happy with the feature because there isn't an option to DISABLE it. I think the rev-matching is a great feature and do use it at times.
again. Mdm, your car must be different than mine, or else you are simply incorrect.

Quick Reply: Hill Start Assist