Sponsored by:

GM Issues Warning About Use of Summer Tires In Winter

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 05:01 PM
sharpseadog
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SRQStingray
This issue has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum and others. GM has reported this problem, as have owner. They are still putting the same tires on the cars. I'd say, if you car is delivered during cold weather, have the tires checked before taking delivery.
Look, GM is listening to the attorneys too much. While you should not drive on the OEM tires if it is below 20 degrees F, and not drive on snow or ice, these tires work just fine the rest of the time. Sure, if you want to so 0.8+ G's in corners they might no be suitable. If you are driving the car legally and using some common sense, you won't have any problems especially if you run long enough to warm up the tires. I got my 2015 Z51 in November and have driven it in temps down to 32 deg., and in very heavy rain at 70 MPH. No problems. Just wait for warmer weather to start pushing limits.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:35 PM
BIC
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Consumer Reports: Beware that some performance tires can crack in the cold
Summer tires not only lack grip in cold weather, but they can be damaged by low temperatures
Published: March 15, 2014 09:00 AM

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...king/index.htm

Anything made with rubber can become more rigid as temperatures get very low, as evidenced by some ultra-high-performance summer tires being used by General Motors and other manufacturers on some vehicles. These tires not only lose grip in cold weather, but they risk cracking, compromising longevity.

This is a significant concern for buyers in northern climes, with GM notably advising not to drive such vehicles during winter chills at the risk of developing damaging cracks. It is likewise important to owners looking forward to spring drives in their performance cars to inspect the tires thoroughly.

GM bulletin #13-03-10-001A: "Information on Tire Cold Weather Cracking" – (Jan 30, 2014) advises “avoid driving, moving, or test-driving vehicles equipped with high-performance summer-only tires below 20º F as operating at these temperatures can cause damage to the tires.” The car models affected include the 2012-2014 Buick Regal GS, 2014 Cadillac CTS Vsport, 2012-2014 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 and Z/28, 2014-2014 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE, and the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray and Stingray Z51, and SS sedan.

In GM’s quest to deliver the ultimate handling in these cars, they built performance tires with essentially a racing compound to deliver the goods. These tires are great for driving in temperate areas and are ideally suited for track use, but the practicality of the tires stops there.

Reaching out to a GM tire supplier, Pirelli, a spokesman explained that the performance tread compound becomes so stiff on such tires that it can lead to cracking when deformed in cold weather. In measuring the hardness of numerous brands of summer tires at 0º F, we have found the tread becomes almost inflexible and the tires lose their bounce when dropped. The cracking is characterized as cosmetic, but in our experience any cracking shouldn’t be taken lightly as it can evolve over time. If there is crack, you should replace the tire. (GM’s service bulletin also recommends discarding a tire with cracking.)

Here is what you need to do if you own or are considering purchasing one of the GM cars mentioned in the bulletin or any car that comes with summer tires.

1. When looking at a new car with performance summer tires at a dealer’s lot, check the tires on the car for cracking in the tread area. The car may have only a few miles on the odometer, but if it was parked in the cold and moved around during transport or by the dealer, the tires could have cracked. This is the time to have the dealer change the effected tires, because once you make the deal and drive off, it’s your headache.

2. If you own a car with summer tires, refrain from using it at all in cold temperatures as the tires may crack. Leave it parked. Beyond cracking concerns, summer tires have diminished grip below 40º F on dry and wet roads and virtually little to no grip on snow and ice.

3. If you bought your dream car with summer tires on it and live in an area that does have winter, then consider using performance all-season tires or dedicated winter tires. These will provide better cold-weather grip and preserve the pricey summer times for the other seasons. Through our testing, we have found a number of ultra-high-performance all-season tires that provide handling and dry and wet grip on par to many summer tires we have tested. (See our full tire ratings.)

Learn more about tires in our tire buying guide.

—Gene Petersen
Old 03-02-2015, 08:49 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
So how does GM protect the tires during shipping and do they instruct their dealers to ONLY store newly delivered Stingrays inside in a climate controlled environment?

Seems to me the car is compromised even before the owner drives it off the lot.

GM can't have it both ways.
That's a good question. Sunday the wife and I drove to a local dealer and they had several Z51 Vettes parked outside on display. It's been as cold as -20 here the last month.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:56 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

We all complained about the Goodyear run craps on the C6. Now we have better tires on the C7 from Michelin......... "you can't have your cake and eat it too"

If you want to drive in sub freezing temperatures, it is time to get a set of all season tires.

For those of us who suffer from "corvette withdrawal" during the winter months' it is best to take a drive when it is a bit warmer. I have logged zero miles as a result of the freaking cold temperature & snow
Old 03-03-2015, 06:41 AM
pcara
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Summer tires

A warning does not necessarily mean GM may not be liable in a suit. I'm not saying they will be held accountable either. You never know how a judge sees these things. It's a chance the seller takes. I've seen stranger things happen. I'll be honest, I knew more about my Vette when I purchased it 6 months ago than my salesman due to extensive research prior to shopping for it. The tire issues were never mentioned but I was aware already. A good lawyer could make a pretty good case. It's kind of like throwing a party and warning your guests not to drink too much but one guy did. He left your home and was involved in an accident. You warned him, but you also supplied the object that caused the incident. Anyway, I know my car and how and when to drive it hard and when not to. Everyone be safe and enjoy!
Old 03-03-2015, 07:39 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
So how does GM protect the tires during shipping and do they instruct their dealers to ONLY store newly delivered Stingrays inside in a climate controlled environment?

Seems to me the car is compromised even before the owner drives it off the lot.

GM can't have it both ways.
Just bizarre that the tires can be easily compromised from the time the vettes leave the BG assembly building till it arrives at the dealerships and parked outside. Maybe BG should shut down for the winter???? (bizarre question I know but GM can't have it both ways!!)
Old 03-03-2015, 07:47 AM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

If you can afford the car surely you can afford a second set of tires for colder climate. Many of us in the north do that with our daily drivers.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:54 AM
Doc750
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

I drove 80 miles yesterday, here in Chicago. Drive at a controlled pace and your fine.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:06 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

The summer tires should be fine if they are in the cold and not moving or moving at a very slow (rolling speed). The issue is when they heat up (due to friction) and interact with the cold air. Then bad things can happen.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:14 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,928 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Originally Posted by brokaw
I smell lawsuit here...GM
should not be delivering vehicles in cold climates w/tires subject to failure in temps below 40 degrees...corporate greed at its finest...stay tuned...this is going to get interesting.
Get serious will ya, that is all people think about lawsuits. Use common sense instead of a Lawyer and save some money.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:17 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by LS3 MN6
The summer tires should be fine if they are in the cold and not moving or moving at a very slow (rolling speed). The issue is when they heat up (due to friction) and interact with the cold air. Then bad things can happen.
Maybe not....

Tire Storage
It is recommended that Summer tires are stored indoors at temperatures above -7°C (20°F) when not in use. If the tires have been subjected to -7°C (20°F) or less, let them warm up in a heated space to at least 5°C (40°F) for 24 hours or more before being installed or driving.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:53 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Thanks GM for such wise information.

So, I ask why would you GM allow my car and many others that sat in air temperatures less than 20*F for two weeks be started and moved for shipping? And yes, these car have cracked tires!
Oh my........

Z06 VIN: 2873 built 1/23 sat in BGAP for 3 weeks; sat in Toledo railyard for 2 weeks in <20*F temps and then was moved and shipped.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:02 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Maybe GM should throw in a Spark with every new Stingray.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:48 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Maybe not....
All that states is that if the tires got very very cold you need to slowly warm them up before driving.

Which is true, if the tire is very cold and you drive it you instantly warm it up (tires get very hot very fast). In that case the rubber can't cope with the drastic temp change and can be damaged.

The issue is two fold.

1. People do not understand what they can and cannot do with Summer Tires
2. We are allowed to ship Summer Tires to cold weather states in winter.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:49 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BOBSZ06
Thanks GM for such wise information.

So, I ask why would you GM allow my car and many others that sat in air temperatures less than 20*F for two weeks be started and moved for shipping? And yes, these car have cracked tires!
Oh my........

Z06 VIN: 2873 built 1/23 sat in BGAP for 3 weeks; sat in Toledo railyard for 2 weeks in <20*F temps and then was moved and shipped.
They need to change the process (or the tires). Your car should only be rolled during those temps, NO THROTTLE application!

If they have to apply throttle to move the car, then they need to have the right tires on it for the temp.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:42 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports on all 4 of my vehicles. I first purchased a set for my Ford Flex over 3 years ago and am on my second set after 30+K. Never in Michelin's literature or on the major tire dealer's websites have I seen that they potentially crack when below 20 deg., other than here and thru the GM bulletin mentioned. I store one of my G8's in sub freezing temps, though it doesn't move. I believe that this is Michelin's problem and THEY should be informing all Super Sport purchasers of this issue. They have my information as I had to send it in to get the rebates available.

I agree that it is not advisable to drive these tires when it's cold, due to their lack of stopping and starting adhesion, but to think that they could be damaged by cold weather driving is indeed SCARY, as it puts the user at potential risk.

I have noticed that they lose traction at temps starting around 50 deg, from my drag strip tests. Tend to start hopping..... But when it's reasonably warm.*.. they are the greatest tires I have ever owned.

I have other sets of A/S for any winter driving, so it won't happen to me, but still........

* Reason # 27 that I'm a SNOW BIRD!!!
Old 03-04-2015, 12:24 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,303 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by 767guy
No Lawsuits..........see caution note , page 10-50 in the owners manual. However, it would have been nice to have had AS tires as an option for the vehicle when ordering
Old 03-04-2015, 07:39 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by EcoBrick Bob
I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports on all 4 of my vehicles. I first purchased a set for my Ford Flex over 3 years ago and am on my second set after 30+K. Never in Michelin's literature or on the major tire dealer's websites have I seen that they potentially crack when below 20 deg., other than here and thru the GM bulletin mentioned. I store one of my G8's in sub freezing temps, though it doesn't move. I believe that this is Michelin's problem and THEY should be informing all Super Sport purchasers of this issue. They have my information as I had to send it in to get the rebates available.

I agree that it is not advisable to drive these tires when it's cold, due to their lack of stopping and starting adhesion, but to think that they could be damaged by cold weather driving is indeed SCARY, as it puts the user at potential risk.

I have noticed that they lose traction at temps starting around 50 deg, from my drag strip tests. Tend to start hopping..... But when it's reasonably warm.*.. they are the greatest tires I have ever owned.

I have other sets of A/S for any winter driving, so it won't happen to me, but still........

* Reason # 27 that I'm a SNOW BIRD!!!
Do you have the regular or the ZPs? ZPs (for Zero Pressure) are Run Flats. The Corvette I THINK is the only ZP Super Sport tire. I'm about to put ZPs on my C6 and I'll check if they have anything in the literature.

I too have had Super Sports on multiple cars, but NEVER the ZPs. So I'll find out later this month (if it ever warms up here).
Old 03-04-2015, 12:04 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

My Vette obviously has Run-Flats. The others don't. I suppose the Run-Flat sidewall could be part of the issue for cracking. Personally, I would buy the non-run flats as they weigh several pounds a tire less. In 50 years of driving, I have had only one blowout, in several million miles of driving. (Goodyear - non radial in late 60's). I have had flats, but never while driving. Besides, TPMS will let you know tire pressures and any low tire issues.

While my Flex came with 20" Goodyear A/S,( very poor steering response + tendency to wander) many of the people who received Michelin's on their Taurus SHO's had cracking where the sidewall merged with the tread, as well as between tread blocks. This was with both A/S as well as Summer tires. They were NOT SuperSports however. Michelin replaced tires that had severe issues.

Sidebar- First aftermarket tires on Flex were Conti-DW's - Summer only tire. They were great at the strip, but were much less responsive (steering & handling) compared to the Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

Quick Reply: GM Issues Warning About Use of Summer Tires In Winter