Sponsored by:

OnStar renewal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 12:50 PM
mikefeeser
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default OnStar renewal?

OnStar - renewal - well, my OnStar was set to expire on 1 Feb 2015, so on 31 Jan 15 I talked to a sales person, they were going to provide me with the Safe and Sound at $9.95 a month and they would send me a bill. I did not want to provide my credit card number thus the request to bill by mail. Well nothing came, although I did receive an email from them, responded but they never replied or acknowledged my reply. Today, 1 Mar 2015 thought I would give them a call to see what happened to the bill. OnStar Rep tells me the bill must be done thru 'Billing' and that is a different number. So why wasn't that mentioned in January? Also the plan I wanted is now called 'Security' and it costs over $20. a month. Well this is not what we agreed to in Jan 2015. Since I have never had to use OnStar and looking at the ability of the staff to work phones, mail and email I have to ask - is this service worth what they are asking for it? The idea seems great - but when I look at the ability of the staff to work the phone and mail system - I AM NOT IMPRESSED. Anybody else have problems like this?

My C7 is currently snowed in the garage - has not been driven in 2 months - when will this snow stop???
Old 03-01-2015, 01:11 PM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Is have seen several posts recently where guys got the basic package for $9.99 a month when they told the On Star rep they wanted to cancel. The basic package is normally $19.99 and the Security package is $24.99. The Directions and Connections is the highest priced at $34.99 a month. The Security package gives On Star the capability to stop or slow your car in case of theft. These packages just increased in price quite a bit over the past years rates. I would suggest you call back and talk to a supervisor and demand what you were told in January or threaten to drop coverage since they reneged.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:44 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

To me not worth the cost.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:43 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

OP: It took me a couple of tries but I mamaged to get the lower rate and a paper bill that I was able to pay with a paper check. I truely believe it depends on who the CSR is. The first one I spoke with answered in double-talk and it was clear she would rather go back to being on break than to take car of my needs. My next try days later was handled by a lady that was interested in my needs and took car of them. A short time later I was able to see the changes requested, reflected on line in my account. Persist and prevail!
Old 03-01-2015, 06:46 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,212 Likes on 824 Posts

Groundhog day.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:01 PM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

I keep renewing at their $25/5 month promo (been doing that for 3 years). Takes exactly 3 "no thanks" each renewal period to get them to lower the price to that. They'll also do 1 year for $80.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:08 PM
surfnkd
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alienranch
I keep renewing at their $25/5 month promo (been doing that for 3 years). Takes exactly 3 "no thanks" each renewal period to get them to lower the price to that. They'll also do 1 year for $80.
Is that Onstar or SiriusXM?
Old 03-01-2015, 07:30 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

I let mine expire. Don't really feel any need for it.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:47 PM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Although not my Corvette, my Buick Encore expired on March 1, so we called on Feb 28th to renew service and assure that we would not lose the 250 mins we have on the phone. At first we were told we did not have 250 mins but only 30 mins, since we were running errand and int he car at the time we said we would call back. When we got home and checked we had the 250 mins, not 30 mins. So we called back, this time they verified we indeed did have 250 mins., so we decide to renew. We were told about a 9.99 package per month and told them that was fine, then we were told we would have to buy the package that added up to 199.00 per year, so we could keep the telephone and security package. I told the, I only want the telephone and was told I could not do it. So I told them to forget everything and cancel me out, I rather not have any on star, as I can use my bluetooth and cell phone for what I want. ONSTAR started out as a great service, low prices and good value, now they seem to be nothing but a rip off, so I rather not deal with the. Cost too much for what you get.

Think we will pass when our year is up on our Corvette....and for our Camaro. If you start adding all of this together between Onstar and the Sirus Radio, you can pay over $300.00 per month for there services. I have an IPOD and a Cell Phone, what do I need them for?
Old 03-01-2015, 10:02 PM
9ball1104
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1KULC7
Although not my Corvette, my Buick Encore expired on March 1, so we called on Feb 28th to renew service and assure that we would not lose the 250 mins we have on the phone. At first we were told we did not have 250 mins but only 30 mins, since we were running errand and int he car at the time we said we would call back. When we got home and checked we had the 250 mins, not 30 mins. So we called back, this time they verified we indeed did have 250 mins., so we decide to renew. We were told about a 9.99 package per month and told them that was fine, then we were told we would have to buy the package that added up to 199.00 per year, so we could keep the telephone and security package. I told the, I only want the telephone and was told I could not do it. So I told them to forget everything and cancel me out, I rather not have any on star, as I can use my bluetooth and cell phone for what I want. ONSTAR started out as a great service, low prices and good value, now they seem to be nothing but a rip off, so I rather not deal with the. Cost too much for what you get.

Think we will pass when our year is up on our Corvette....and for our Camaro. If you start adding all of this together between Onstar and the Sirus Radio, you can pay over $300.00 per month for there services. I have an IPOD and a Cell Phone, what do I need them for?
Did u mean $300 per year?
Old 03-02-2015, 10:24 AM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

I had been using OnStar since Sep 2007 on my '08 Vette coupe; then my '09 Pontiac since Mar 2009; then my '09 Z06 since June '10 and now my 2014 C7 since Aug '14.

When I bought the C7, OnStar transferred over 400 minutes of phone time but, of course, I store my car(Nov 1 '14 to April '15. I called OnStar in Feb to add call minutes to the Pontiac and we started discussing my Vette. I had previously been told that since I store my car that OnStar would extend my time for as long as I stored the car which would take me to Aug, 2015. The current rep said that wasn't so and could only extend it 2 months to April unless I renewed the Vette at the new rates OnStar was now charging. Even after talking to a supervisor I received the same answer.

End result is I cancelled the Pontiac after 6 years and told them I would cancel the Vette in April, losing 400 minutes of call time.

I had been a proponent of OnStar and was even on its board of advisors for a year answering all kinds of surveys to make it better. Obviously I did a poor job.

I'm done with them and can't recommend them any longer.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:21 AM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by 9ball1104
Did u mean $300 per year?
NO, there was a "Special" after I refused the $300.00 year. This is a gimmick. Buyer Beware...
Old 03-02-2015, 11:55 AM
FlashofRed
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just an FYI from personal experience with OnStar. The prices can differ when renewing or buying minutes by phone(home or cell) vs through OnStar from your car. This happen to me last year when I purchased additional minutes. It cost more when I called from my home phone than when I called from my car using OnStar. I complained and they credited my account.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:03 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,212 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by VETJAZZ
I let mine expire. Don't really feel any need for it.
I refused activation....on all my cars.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:09 PM
3rail
Instructor

Hey Mike, I will offer my 2 cents and opinion.

I bought my new C7 on 01/17/15. I drove it home and it has sat in my garage ever since (darn snow and artic temps!!!!!!)

I never "activated" my account with OnStar. To date I have received 27 emails and phone calls from them (Yes, I keep count). I do not reply to the emails and I hang up on the phone calls after I tell them I am not interested in their service.

On the other hand, I do like the SiriusXM radio and I have that feature on my other 2 cars. I negotiate a contract with them every year for multiple vehicles.

My opinion, I have not needed their service in the past nor do not need the features OnStar provides.

Donald
Old 03-02-2015, 02:24 PM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

We have the full package from GM and Sirius and for us it is excellent. We tour in the C7 and the weather and traffic are great, couple that with Waze (iPad) it has saved us a lot of time, hassle (aka tickets) and allowed us to explore some fun backroads that we might have otherwise missed. If we didn't drive it as much as we do we probably would have not renewed. We did negotiate a multiple vehicle package deal that saved a few dollars.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:45 PM
FlashofRed
Instructor

I realize I maybe crucified for asking what may appear obvious to some people but how does the Nav system work, if at all, without OnStar?

Get notified of new replies

To OnStar renewal?

Old 03-02-2015, 04:10 PM
c8nukeZ51
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by FlashofRed
I realize I maybe crucified for asking what may appear obvious to some people but how does the Nav system work, if at all, without OnStar?
Nav system can & does work independent from Onstar. The only convenience that Onstar provides is sending directions directly to the onboard Navigation. If you input a destination yourself then you don't need them.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:18 PM
FlashofRed
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nuke991
Nav system can & does work independent from Onstar. The only convenience that Onstar provides is sending directions directly to the onboard Navigation. If you input a destination yourself then you don't need them.
Ahh...That's good to know. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:22 PM
mikefeeser
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Thanks everyone

I want to thank everyone for input on this situation.

Feel better now knowing I am not alone with my frustration on dealing with OnStar sales. After hearing from many on this thread and some others - I suspect I probably don't really need OnStar. I have a phone so don't really need that, already not happy with the Nav system and use my trusty ol TomTom GPS.

All and all sure have wasted a lot of time on this OnStar issue - I am not going to pursue the OnStar program - as soon as all this damn snow is gone we are going driving - On The Road Again - - w/o OnStar!!!

Quick Reply: OnStar renewal?