Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Curious about Carbon Fiber roof

Old 03-01-2015, 02:35 PM
plumalan
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Curious about Carbon Fiber roof

If someone could enlighten me I would really appreciate it. My car Has the carbon fiber roof with paint surround (arctic white). I've read that all C7 tops are carbon fiber except the clear tops. Correct?
If this is the case, does carbon fiber look like the middle of my top and dash? Does this mean that I paid an additional $1,995 to have GM not paint the middle of my top, just the surround edges. What a deal for GM if it is true.

Don't get me wrong I am in no way begrudging GM for what they charged, this is a free market. I total believe in free enterprise!

If the colored tops are all carbon fiber as well and the price is included in the base price of the car, is that not doubled dipping? Don't mind just wondering. If I removed the paint from any standard top would the appearance be the same as the center of my roof?

I also have the competition seats which I dearly love. They fit me like a glove, and I have never set in a more comfortable seat in my life. My question is that I paid $1,995 for the special seats and GM kept the base seats which were priced in the base price of the car. So, what did it actually cost me for seat in my car?

Once again I am not begrudging GM's pricing. They should get as much for their product as they can. It is an amazing piece of machinery that all Americans should be proud of. That it was built in America by Americans and is the best in the world for its pricing structure by a long measure. I could not be happier with my car. It is magnificent. It is a totally optioned Z51, 3LT. Most expensive car I have ever owned and the best car I have ever owned!

If someone could help with my questions I would be grateful. I'm just curious!
Old 03-01-2015, 02:41 PM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

You are correct in that all roofs (except clear) are carbon fiber. The quality and exact CF used are different for the exposed vs. painted roofs. Exposed CF is of a much higher quality (visually) and goes through a much more rigorous inspection process thus the higher cost. Does that mean it's worth it ?!?!?
Old 03-01-2015, 02:44 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

The painted tops are carbon fiber but since they are painted the carbon weave doesn't have to be perfect and likely isn't. Takes a lot more skill and labor to lay up the carbon on a visible weave section. Same holds true for bicycle frames - lots of carbon frames but few have visible carbon (especially in areas where the frame tubes meet). Frames like Colnago and Pinarello cost more - part of it is the name but part is the open carbon weave. Frames like Trek or Specialized are cheaper - and usually painted carbon.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:33 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Also, the visible CF tops, in addition to having to pass a strict visual appearance quality Check, are painted with several coats of a special clear coat. The paint has a Special UV resistant ingredient that keeps the CF from discoloring from sun exposure. I can't remember the exact figure, which was published when the C7 first debuted, but the cost of the clear coat paint was well over $500 per quart.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1586421911

Last edited by fdxpilot; 03-01-2015 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:56 PM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

So then, do you have a padded liner inside or is that visible carbon too?
Old 03-01-2015, 09:47 PM
BigRick1960
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ///ADMAN
So then, do you have a padded liner inside or is that visible carbon too?
Padded
Old 03-02-2015, 02:26 AM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRick1960
Padded
So, if you removed the padding you would see exposed carbon fiber
underneath - albeit not a best weave. But, carbon nonetheless?
Old 03-02-2015, 06:58 AM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by ///ADMAN
So, if you removed the padding you would see exposed carbon fiber
underneath - albeit not a best weave. But, carbon nonetheless?
It would likely look like a gray mess. If you go for it let us know.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:35 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,602 Likes on 6,615 Posts

Originally Posted by plumalan
If someone could enlighten me I would really appreciate it. My car Has the carbon fiber roof with paint surround (arctic white). I've read that all C7 tops are carbon fiber except the clear tops. Correct?
If this is the case, does carbon fiber look like the middle of my top and dash? Does this mean that I paid an additional $1,995 to have GM not paint the middle of my top, just the surround edges. What a deal for GM if it is true.

Don't get me wrong I am in no way begrudging GM for what they charged, this is a free market. I total believe in free enterprise!

If the colored tops are all carbon fiber as well and the price is included in the base price of the car, is that not doubled dipping? Don't mind just wondering. If I removed the paint from any standard top would the appearance be the same as the center of my roof?

I also have the competition seats which I dearly love. They fit me like a glove, and I have never set in a more comfortable seat in my life. My question is that I paid $1,995 for the special seats and GM kept the base seats which were priced in the base price of the car. So, what did it actually cost me for seat in my car?

Once again I am not begrudging GM's pricing. They should get as much for their product as they can. It is an amazing piece of machinery that all Americans should be proud of. That it was built in America by Americans and is the best in the world for its pricing structure by a long measure. I could not be happier with my car. It is magnificent. It is a totally optioned Z51, 3LT. Most expensive car I have ever owned and the best car I have ever owned!

If someone could help with my questions I would be grateful. I'm just curious!
The hood and roof are made in a "new process" that makes a low cost carbon fiber roof that looks fine painted! This is what was said about the visible CF roof': "In addition to the standard painted roof panels, customers will also have an option to buy roof panels with an exposed weave. Those parts will be made in a more traditional process. However, if an exposed-weave part develops a flaw during production, the automaker can put that part back into production as a painted part, rather than scrapping the entire panel, as happens today."
As noted, if the visible CF roof does not meet their strict visual standards it can be painted. The vendor of the visual CF roof no doubt gets ~½ the price! That is what held up production and why my car was delayed in production a short time. So it is possible to have a defective visual CF roof that was painted!
As far as the seats, that is the extra cost not the cost of the seats. You could ask the same question for the NPP, wheels etc etc. You’re paying for the extra premium (and whatever extra margin GM can command!) Pricing and cost don’t have to go together! Thankfully this is still a free enterprise economy! You obviously were willing to pay extra for the seats so perhaps GM made more profit on those!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-02-2015 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:10 AM
HighTeq
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks like you have all the answers for the roof, in regards to the seats, I'm sure if you were to buy them separately they would be more expensive?

I'd like to think the upcharge of $1,995 for the Competition seats is the price difference between the two?

I guess I really didn't answer your question, rather asked another...

Get notified of new replies

To Curious about Carbon Fiber roof

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Curious about Carbon Fiber roof