Sponsored by:

New C7 Using Oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 08:43 PM
romaja
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
My car is using more than that, qt. every 2,000 miles. I personally am not concerned. Every engine should use a little oil and I don't feel this is excessive.
Thanks. Maybe the consumption I am seeing is not that excessive and I am over thinking it. Although most of the posts I see on the form contend they aren't seeing any. The ones that have had consumption, it seems to stop after 500 or 1000 miles.

In all the cars I have owned, I have not seen much in the way of oil consumption with the exception of a 2003 Honda Accord that my wife drives. 150k on the car now and I am adding 1/2 quart per 5000 miles.

I read an article about Gm trucks that rack miles more quickly then the Corvette and they are seeing oil usage after 50k on trucks with AFM. The author seemed a little biased against GM products so I took the article with a grain of salt.

Aside from the oil consumption I haven't had a lick of trouble with my C7 and love the car.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:52 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

My C6 didn't use any measurable oil during break-in or after. The C7 has only 650 miles thus far, was broken-in by the book, and still shows at the full mark--but has not been driven aggressively.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:41 AM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

It's not unheard of for a new engine to use oil like that. If you keep an eye on it and it stops after 1200 miles I wouldn't be the least bit concerned. Babying or lugging the engine can prolong oil consumption early in its life.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:42 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
For what it's worth, my Z51 was perhaps a 1/4 quart at my first oil change after 1500 miles. I am ready for the next change and checked the level. It is at the same level I left it after the first fill. Now have 5000 miles. Sounds like a PCV issue or something similar. Maybe the valve was stuck and then became loose. Just some thoughts. Interesting to see what dealer says.
Have always checked hot oil after it has drained down but in a non dry sump no way it would be that far off!
For what it's worth, received my Service Manuals today. Looked up replacing the PCV valve. As noted it looks straight forward but a few parts need to be removed for access along with the Plastic Collar Quick Connect. However the Dealer should be able to do it quickly and I’d press to see if they will put in new one.
Let us know what the dealer says or does.

Red Circle, PCV valve
Old 03-03-2015, 03:26 PM
romaja
Racer

For what it's worth, received my Service Manuals today. Looked up replacing the PCV valve. As noted it looks straight forward but a few parts need to be removed for access along with the Plastic Collar Quick Connect. However the Dealer should be able to do it quickly and I’d press to see if they will put in new one.
Let us know what the dealer says or does.

Red Circle, PCV valve
Do you know what effect a bad PCV valve has? Does it cause excessive oil consumption? Does it allow oil into the cylinders to be burned with fuel?

Thanks
Old 03-03-2015, 08:17 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I just checked my oil, 450 miles since the oil was changed. Oil remains at full mark. Waiting for spring.

Last edited by Larry/car; 03-03-2015 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:05 AM
MIGHTYM0USE
Melting Slicks

Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

the valve is easy to check

disconnect the hose going to it, push on some test hose. blow into it
-should not allow

suck on it
-should allow

thats it

on my supercharged application i verified mine leaked slightly so i run a second valve in-line to protect against boost leak.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:05 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by romaja
Do you know what effect a bad PCV valve has? Does it cause excessive oil consumption? Does it allow oil into the cylinders to be burned with fuel?

Thanks
The valve restricts flow at high vacuum. If it is stuck open it could cause more oil and vapors to enter the manifold and therefore be burned. Will be interested to see what the dealer says.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:22 AM
romaja
Racer

The valve restricts flow at high vacuum. If it is stuck open it could cause more oil and vapors to enter the manifold and therefore be burned. Will be interested to see what the dealer says.
Thanks. I think I will call the dealer. I will report back my findings.

Update: Dealer wants me to log the consumption over the next 5000 miles. Sounds reasonable.

Last edited by romaja; 03-04-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:25 AM
romaja
Racer

Originally Posted by MIGHTYM0USE
the valve is easy to check

disconnect the hose going to it, push on some test hose. blow into it
-should not allow

suck on it
-should allow

thats it

on my supercharged application i verified mine leaked slightly so i run a second valve in-line to protect against boost leak.
Thanks. I will give this a try.

Quick Reply: New C7 Using Oil