Sponsored by:

New C7 Using Oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 06:47 PM
flytrade
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New C7 Using Oil

I got my new C7 Corvette about four weeks ago. While just looking over the car I checked the oil and it was perfectly clear and up to the full mark. I didn't feel I needed to check the oil so soon, but at about the 600 mile mark I checked it again and the dipstick was completely dry. It took two courts to bring the dipstick back to the full mark.

This obviously had me concerned, so I checked the oil again at about the 900 mile mark. It was down 1 quart. After adding this court I have been monitoring the oil very closely. Now with 1200 miles the dipstick still shows full.

In summary, for the first month I have owned the car it has used 3 quarts of oil. This seems excessive to me, but it could be just that the engine is breaking in. Has anyone else had this oil usage problem? I'm bringing the car into the dealer next week and I'll certainly talk to him about it. Any other comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:50 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,716 Likes on 2,921 Posts

Base or Z51? If Z51, are you following the proper procedure to check the oil level?
Old 03-01-2015, 06:54 PM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

That sounds excessive. A trip to the dealer is certainly in order.

BTW, it's quarts (a measure of liquid volume), not courts ( a place where trials are held).
Old 03-01-2015, 07:15 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

I've never experienced this with multiple new cars - but some will tell you that it could be due to the rings needing to seat and that a quart in 500 miles is normal for a new engine. IF it is not using oil now and continues that behavior you're home free. I would absolutely document this with the dealer, however, to start establishing a service history on the potential complaint. Documentation is key here - make sure everything is in writing and that you have copies.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:27 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I agree absolutely with Mark, "mksz51," above. Not that a dealer could reasonably dispute an engine using quarts of oil at that rate, but the key word is "reasonably" and dealers don't act that way all the time. Watch for the wording on the service write up so that it's not ambiguous.

But as stated by Kracka, make sure you are following the correct procedure for checking your oil level. Very important and not necessarily "the old way." Tell us/keep us informed how this turns out for you.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:38 PM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

You can't compare the level of oil in a car that's been sitting and cold to when its been driven and warm. I think the manual says to wait five minutes after you turn off a warm car before you check the oil.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:02 PM
olympic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not quite as thirsty, but my new base C7 was 1/2 quart low at the third fill-up check (at ten-minute wait the oil read at the very bottom of the dipstick; 1/2 quart--a bit at a time--brought the reading to the top of the hashmarks).
Old 03-01-2015, 08:44 PM
flytrade
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. I'm busy this week, but have made an appointment with the dealer to bring the car in for service next week. We'll see what he has to say and I will make sure everything is sufficiently documented.

Mine is the basic engine, and the owners manual says if the engine has recently been run to wait 10 minutes before checking the oil. I normally check my oil before starting the engine in the morning with the car on level ground.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:09 PM
frankb
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by flytrade
Thanks for all the replies. I'm busy this week, but have made an appointment with the dealer to bring the car in for service next week. We'll see what he has to say and I will make sure everything is sufficiently documented.

Mine is the basic engine, and the owners manual says if the engine has recently been run to wait 10 minutes before checking the oil. I normally check my oil before starting the engine in the morning with the car on level ground.
It also say's in the OM the car will use oil in the first 500 miles and to check with fill ups
Old 03-02-2015, 10:21 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Mine used a quart in 2,000 miles. Winter set in and have not checked since the oil was changed 500 miles ago. Driving stopped abruptly second week in January, we have slop about every other day since.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:25 AM
romaja
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
Mine used a quart in 2,000 miles. Winter set in and have not checked since the oil was changed 500 miles ago. Driving stopped abruptly second week in January, we have slop about every other day since.
1/3 of a quart in 1500 miles for me. 4500 miles on the car and it still appears to be consuming oil.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:22 AM
USA1-
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 57 Posts

My '14 C7 went through 2 quarts the first 1000 miles. Now has 9000 miles on it. Hasn't lost a drop since. I check it every fillup.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:41 AM
tunaman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

Same experience here... First new car I've ever owned that consumed any oil during the break in, but ours did go through over a quart during our trip home from Bowling Green.

Checked the level at each fill up, and was surprised and caught a little off guard when it was low at about the third or fourth tank of gas. Another fill up a couple of tanks later showed it to be a little low, and no consumption of note ever since (16k miles).
Old 03-02-2015, 12:24 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by flytrade
I got my new C7 Corvette about four weeks ago. While just looking over the car I checked the oil and it was perfectly clear and up to the full mark. I didn't feel I needed to check the oil so soon, but at about the 600 mile mark I checked it again and the dipstick was completely dry. It took two courts to bring the dipstick back to the full mark.

This obviously had me concerned, so I checked the oil again at about the 900 mile mark. It was down 1 quart. After adding this court I have been monitoring the oil very closely. Now with 1200 miles the dipstick still shows full.

In summary, for the first month I have owned the car it has used 3 quarts of oil. This seems excessive to me, but it could be just that the engine is breaking in. Has anyone else had this oil usage problem? I'm bringing the car into the dealer next week and I'll certainly talk to him about it. Any other comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
For what it's worth, my Z51 was perhaps a 1/4 quart at my first oil change after 1500 miles. I am ready for the next change and checked the level. It is at the same level I left it after the first fill. Now have 5000 miles. Sounds like a PCV issue or something similar. Maybe the valve was stuck and then became loose. Just some thoughts. Interesting to see what dealer says.
Have always checked hot oil after it has drained down but in a non dry sump no way it would be that far off!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-02-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:19 PM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would say 1 quart in 3000 miles is normal, anything more than that not so much. I just checked my car and it only has 400 hwy delivery miles on it but it still is right at the full mark. Agressive driving can cause more than normal oil eating as well.

Last edited by ArcticC7; 03-02-2015 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:37 PM
romaja
Racer

Originally Posted by JerryU
For what it's worth, my Z51 was perhaps a 1/4 quart at my first oil change after 1500 miles. I am ready for the next change and checked the level. It is at the same level I left it after the first fill. Now have 5000 miles. Sounds like a PCV issue or something similar. Maybe the valve was stuck and then became loose. Just some thoughts. Interesting to see what dealer says.
Have always checked hot oil after it has drained down but in a non dry sump no way it would be that far off!
Jerry,

Your PCV comment got my attention. Heres my story. I picked my 2015 Z51 M7 up in Michigan and drove it home to the Northwest.I broke the car in correctly changing RPM shifting between 4th,5th,6th,etc I checked the oil at the 1st fueling stop. To be clear, I check my oil as per the manual. Oil temp is up to temp, level ground, between 5 and 10 miles after shutdown, yada yada

I was surprised to see it 1 inch to 1.5 above the full mark! yikes..overserviced! I used my Nav and contacted a dealer enroute in Wyoming on a saturday. The were very accommodating and got me right in. The service tech said " the car has been over serviced and the baffles in the reservoir prevent him from removing any oil. He also stated that with the dry sump, it is impossible to blow oil up in the bridge or MAF
area or PCV lines? basically don't worry about it. Um.. ok. I didn't argue with him and thanked them for their time.

Suspecting the worst I pulled the bridge off when I got home and it was full of oil!what a mess!

I took it to the dealer in Portland for the first oil change, I told them about the over servicing when I received my new car. I told them about my mess and if the could look it over. He told me that was not part of the warranty? I asked him to talk with the service manager. The service manager reluctantly approved it. My order says they removed the air cleaner and PCV tubing and removed any residue.

Fast forward to today at 5000 miles and the car is using a half qt of oil ever 1500 miles!

I was very careful during breakin.

I wonder if I should take the car into the dealership? seems like my car is using more oil than most. Don't know much about the PCV system and wonder if the over service affected this?

Thoughts?
Old 03-02-2015, 05:14 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by romaja
Jerry,

Your PCV comment got my attention. Heres my story. I picked my 2015 Z51 M7 up in Michigan and drove it home to the Northwest.I broke the car in correctly changing RPM shifting between 4th,5th,6th,etc I checked the oil at the 1st fueling stop. To be clear, I check my oil as per the manual. Oil temp is up to temp, level ground, between 5 and 10 miles after shutdown, yada yada

I was surprised to see it 1 inch to 1.5 above the full mark! yikes..overserviced! I used my Nav and contacted a dealer enroute in Wyoming on a saturday. The were very accommodating and got me right in. The service tech said " the car has been over serviced and the baffles in the reservoir prevent him from removing any oil. He also stated that with the dry sump, it is impossible to blow oil up in the bridge or MAF
area or PCV lines? basically don't worry about it. Um.. ok. I didn't argue with him and thanked them for their time.

Suspecting the worst I pulled the bridge off when I got home and it was full of oil!what a mess!

I took it to the dealer in Portland for the first oil change, I told them about the over servicing when I received my new car. I told them about my mess and if the could look it over. He told me that was not part of the warranty? I asked him to talk with the service manager. The service manager reluctantly approved it. My order says they removed the air cleaner and PCV tubing and removed any residue.

Fast forward to today at 5000 miles and the car is using a half qt of oil ever 1500 miles!

I wonder if I should take the car into the dealership? seems like my car is using more oil than most. Don't know much about the PCV system and wonder if the over service affected this?

Thoughts?
To me a half quart in 1500 miles is a bit much but doubt if you'll get much satisfaction from the dealer. Perhaps see what it does after ~3000 miles or so. Clearly your problem was it was overfilled! Really surprised when that was seen the first time they didn't just pull the plug, drain the pan and refill with just enough oil to bring it below the full line! They admitted it was "over serviced!” Never heard that word, it was overfilled by mistake! The excess oil was coming out of the dry sump tank air vent not the engine. That is how it got to the air cleaner. Some probably got sucked into the intake. Not sure that has any affect on the PCV, but don’t know. My service manuals should be here this week so can’t see how easy or hard that is to change. Perhaps someone can help.

Get notified of new replies

To New C7 Using Oil

Old 03-02-2015, 05:48 PM
romaja
Racer

Originally Posted by JerryU
To me a half quart in 1500 miles is a bit much but doubt if you'll get much satisfaction from the dealer. Perhaps see what it does after ~3000 miles or so. Clearly your problem was it was overfilled! Really surprised when that was seen the first time they didn't just pull the plug, drain the pan and refill with just enough oil to bring it below the full line! They admitted it was "over serviced!” Never heard that word, it was overfilled by mistake! The excess oil was coming out of the dry sump tank air vent not the engine. That is how it got to the air cleaner. Some probably got sucked into the intake. Not sure that has any affect on the PCV, but don’t know. My service manuals should be here this week so can’t see how easy or hard that is to change. Perhaps someone can help.
Thanks. I just had my oil changed about 300 miles ago and have an accurate benchmark on the dipstick concerning the level. I will drive it awhile and not any consumption. If it persists, I will take it to the dealer. I have also changed dealerships and am much happier with my current one.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:01 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by romaja
Jerry,

Thoughts?

My car is using more than that, qt. every 2,000 miles. I personally am not concerned. Every engine should use a little oil and I don't feel this is excessive.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:20 PM
BBMedic
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now that's funny!!
Originally Posted by WelderGuy
That sounds excessive. A trip to the dealer is certainly in order.

BTW, it's quarts (a measure of liquid volume), not courts ( a place where trials are held).

Quick Reply: New C7 Using Oil