Sponsored by:

Too tall for a C7??

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 01:52 PM
florida john
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Too tall for a C7??

Recently visited a dealer to look at the Z06's. I was very disappointed to find that I don't seem to fit in the car due to lack of headroom. I am not some giant at 6'3", but my head hits the top in both the hardtop and convertible. The only way I could drive these was with my head tilted to the side! I can't believe that GM would design the C7 so limited as to discount tall owners.

I have owned my C6 since new for several years, and obviously fit in it. Any others with this experience?

Are there alternative seat options that allow taller driver's to fit? I had the seat all the way down and reclined as far as it would go in the C7.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:03 PM
sl33p3r15
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you sure the seat was all the way down? I am 6' 3" and have no problems. I found that if you move the seat forward a little you might find that it goes lower.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:09 PM
Wilross3
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

6'3" here also, no problems as long as seat is adjusted properly. Give it another try!
Old 03-02-2015, 02:09 PM
bapd77
Safety Car

Received 418 Likes on 194 Posts

At least 5'9 1/2....no problems
Old 03-02-2015, 02:12 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

I have heard of people over 6'5" and not having any problems.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:12 PM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Old 03-02-2015, 02:32 PM
MikeC4C5C6...C7
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

There was something in an earlier earlier post about disabling the seat back travel limiter under the carpet behind the seat. Probably worth searching for.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:34 PM
jgilevettes
Burning Brakes

Received 795 Likes on 387 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

6'3 here as well.. No problems with headroom whatsoever.. Came out of a C3 and this feels like an SUV...
Old 03-02-2015, 02:52 PM
bilzvette
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Default seat adjustment

Good luck with "search", I never can find anything. That said, recently someone had a very nice discussion about, lowering the seat, pushing it forward some, then tilting the seat back. Seems to me that the writer of that post was at least 6'4" maybe taller and he claimed to have over an inch of headroom after the adjustment. I'm 6'2" and I'm fine. Work with the seat some, I bet you can make it work.
Good Luck,
bill
Old 03-03-2015, 07:40 PM
Blvdbrawler
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 137 Posts

Im 6'4 280lbs and I fit in the Z06 fine. I just picked up mine on Saturday and drove it from NH to NY with no problems. My head does not hit the top and my legs are comfortable considering I have an M7.

I used the seat trick to fit...

Have it go forward all the way first with seat back forward as well. Then make the base of the seat go all the way down. Then shift the seat all the way back and have the back recline. Simple...Some also bring the seat forward a little and arch the bottom up a little them let the back recline a little more. It does work!

Good luck!
Old 03-05-2015, 01:42 AM
chipsvette06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blvdbrawler
Im 6'4 280lbs and I fit in the Z06 fine. I just picked up mine on Saturday and drove it from NH to NY with no problems. My head does not hit the top and my legs are comfortable considering I have an M7.

Have it go forward all the way first with seat back forward as well. Then make the base of the seat go all the way down. Then shift the seat all the way back and have the back recline. Simple...Some also bring the seat forward a little and arch the bottom up a little them let the back recline a little more. It does work!

Good luck!
I'm 6/4 and have plenty of room even can wear a cowboy hat. Try again.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:19 AM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Disconnect the two wire connector on the wall behind the seat, under the carpet.

Here's a thread on it:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-question.html
Old 03-05-2015, 06:46 AM
zygowsra
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by florida john
Recently visited a dealer to look at the Z06's. I was very disappointed to find that I don't seem to fit in the car due to lack of headroom. I am not some giant at 6'3", but my head hits the top in both the hardtop and convertible. The only way I could drive these was with my head tilted to the side! I can't believe that GM would design the C7 so limited as to discount tall owners.

I have owned my C6 since new for several years, and obviously fit in it. Any others with this experience?

Are there alternative seat options that allow taller driver's to fit? I had the seat all the way down and reclined as far as it would go in the C7.
I'm 5'-17" and have no problem.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:26 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,605 Likes on 6,618 Posts

Originally Posted by Blvdbrawler

Good luck!
I’m a lot shorter and still have the rear of the seat low and the back tilted. I have it move forward quite a bit to have the correct leg length for the clutch. My exit position is set all the way back and as high as the seat and steering wheel can go. It helps make exiting easier. With all the adjustments in a 3LT takes some time to get it perfect.
When I enter and it moves to my driving position it feels a bit unusual to have the seat dip and move that far forward.

Last edited by JerryU; 03-05-2015 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:58 AM
CanadianVetster
Drifting

Received 161 Likes on 87 Posts

Same here...... 6'4" fit is roughly similar to my '07 Z06 in terms of headroom.
If you are very long in the upper body I could see you having some issues. My friend is 6'5" , so one inch taller then I am but he needs 3 to 4 inches more in headroom because of the length of his legs compared to mine. So just like many of the other posters have stated I think you should go back and try to seat positions again.
good luck....don't miss out.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:22 AM
Reinyn
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

6' 4" and I am fine with the headroom. I could use a bit more legroom though (36" inseam).

I would recommend that you relax and spend 10+ minutes in the car trying to get it dialed in for you. The transparent top and competition seats might give you a bit more headroom, just FYI.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:27 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

6'2" and lots of head room. Probably a Hobbit driving the car off the truck. Lower the driver seat all the way down. Should have plenty of head room.

Get notified of new replies

To Too tall for a C7??

Old 03-05-2015, 10:01 AM
11B250
Melting Slicks

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm 6'2 and I haven't even felt my head touch the roof. as a matter of fact, it hasn't even been a concern or even a thought
Old 07-05-2015, 09:04 PM
Linecapt
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Being 6'4", I didn't have any head troubles in the coupe, but did have troubles getting in and out. The wheel didn't tilt up enough nor go in enough, thereby my thighs hitting/rubbing under the wheel every time I tried getting in & out. No problems with this in my C6. Yes, the seat was all the way down and back, as I lived/tested this car for a week as a rental in Orlando.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:10 AM
kevincol
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm 6'5" and have sat in numerous C7's with no issues.

Quick Reply: Too tall for a C7??