Sponsored by:

Finally, I've come up with a $1,000,000 idea

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 04:26 PM
9ball1104
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Finally, I've come up with a $1,000,000 idea

Still waiting to take delivery of my C7 and never had OnStar before, but from what I've read I probably will only subscribe to the security service offering after the free services expire. One thing I'm sure I would miss is using my iPhone to find and route to a destination and have it be upoaded from OnStar to the infotainment's NAV. So I just saw the NAV video presentation taped at the museum which said MyLink is open source. Seems like a phone app could upload a destination via Bluetooth to the indash NAV so the route would be available on the OSD and HUD. Or alternately, I would think Apple or Google could create a phone app that would use the Infotainment computer and the HUD to duplicate what their map app is displaying on the phone's screen. This would be a free alternative to the OnStar service and an alternative to Apple's CarPlay which is not available to us at this time. Any takers

Last edited by 9ball1104; 03-02-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:57 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

point/feature to consider:
Depending on which mapping service used to create the route, download to the NAV via Onstar only allows 3-5 waypoints, (regardless of how many were created mapping the route)

Problem was, my trip had 10 waypoints.

Ended up programming the trip direct on the nav system.
No waypoint limitations, and easy to rearrange/change on the fly.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:29 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,684 Likes on 2,903 Posts

I wish I could pay OnStar $5/mo just for full RemoteLink phone app functionality, screw the rest of the OnStar services (including the mirror buttons). If they offered this, I'd immediate sign up both my Chevys (on both of which I let the free OnStar trial lapse).
Old 03-02-2015, 05:38 PM
9ball1104
Racer

Originally Posted by aj98
point/feature to consider:
Depending on which mapping service used to create the route, download to the NAV via Onstar only allows 3-5 waypoints, (regardless of how many were created mapping the route)

Problem was, my trip had 10 waypoints.

Ended up programming the trip direct on the nav system.
No waypoint limitations, and easy to rearrange/change on the fly.
Yea, this would be another reason to bypass OnStar and communicate directly between the phone and the infotainment system. And if the OSD and HUD are just displaying what is running on the phone, then the phone mapping app would be in control of routing, including waypoints.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:33 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

These ideas are either coming shortly or already there. First, you can use any contact in your phone as a destination. Second, going back to at least '08, OnStar can get routes from something like MapQuest sent to your car. I believe other mapping sites now support this, but I was using that function a long time ago. Third, Android Auto and CarPlay will offer screen mirroring of your phone including Navigation.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:37 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 502 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Kracka
I wish I could pay OnStar $5/mo just for full RemoteLink phone app functionality, screw the rest of the OnStar services (including the mirror buttons). If they offered this, I'd immediate sign up both my Chevys (on both of which I let the free OnStar trial lapse).
The remote link app comes with your C7 brother no need to pay them a dime for it ....
Old 03-02-2015, 09:06 PM
9ball1104
Racer

Originally Posted by Bucknut2006
These ideas are either coming shortly or already there. First, you can use any contact in your phone as a destination. Second, going back to at least '08, OnStar can get routes from something like MapQuest sent to your car. I believe other mapping sites now support this, but I was using that function a long time ago. Third, Android Auto and CarPlay will offer screen mirroring of your phone including Navigation.
Yes, try'n not to have to create a contact and then sync. Lots of times there's a link on a web page that launches mapping software so creating a contact and syncing is not convenient. Mirrorring would be ideal but that's not available to the millions of folks that don't have CarPlay, including us. I'd pay $0.99 for this app. Lots of manufactures signed up for CarPlay but the rollout has been slow.

Last edited by 9ball1104; 03-03-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:15 PM
CallawayStingray
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

My BMW version of onstar service is great. For ten years you get emergency 911 calls and accident notifications for free and they also give you three free phone calls a year for up to 5 min (how they explain it is because if your phone dies and you can use it to call the spouse to let them know your running late to get the kids. You also can lock unlock doors locate car but no remote start
Old 03-03-2015, 01:31 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by bbrown450
The remote link app comes with your C7 brother no need to pay them a dime for it ....
I think he means he wants it with the included features such as vehicle health report, etc. After the trial lapses, its honestly no good for anything other than if you lock your keys in the car really..
Old 03-03-2015, 08:51 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by FYREANT
I think he means he wants it with the included features such as vehicle health report, etc. After the trial lapses, its honestly no good for anything other than if you lock your keys in the car really..
Correct. I really liked being to send navigation destinations from my phone to the car, but I'm not paying their $20 or $30/month subscription for it. I contacted OnStar about buying just a RemoteLink subscription but they said it's not offered nor being considered.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:33 AM
9ball1104
Racer

You need to spend $34.95/month for OnStar to be able to download maps to your Infotainment system. I'm talking about selling a $0.99 app to millions of GM owners.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:38 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 9ball1104
You need to spend $34.95/month for OnStar to be able to download maps to your Infotainment system. I'm talking about selling a $0.99 app to millions of GM owners.
I'd pay you 99-cents before even blinking if you could make it work.

Get notified of new replies

To Finally, I've come up with a $1,000,000 idea

Quick Reply: Finally, I've come up with a $1,000,000 idea