Sponsored by:

Text Messaging Capability - GM Infotainment Help response

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 06:54 PM
C7cmnthru
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Text Messaging Capability - GM Infotainment Help response

Well, I called the GM Infotainment helpline on whether 2014 Vettes with Nav actually had the txt messaging capability. Basically, the individual indicated that there are several versions of MyLink and some have that capability, but was unable to tell me if my Vette should have or would have had it. The person indicated that if I didn't have the txt messaging icon on my screen then I don't have the capability. I asked whether there was an update that would add it since it appears every other car in Chevy's lineup has it (my rental Impala had it). Person didn't know but suggested that I check with the service dept at my dealership.

I told the person that forum traffic on this matter would indicate that Chevy could win over some customers by making this right and asked my request to provide software updates (at least one) at no charge to give Vette owners the very best GM has to offer be passed on to higher mgt. Not optimistic about that either.

Seems to be pretty much a dead end, but I will follow through with my service dept. If something useful comes out of that inquiry, I will pass it on. I just don't understand why GM won't give us this capabiliiy if all it is is a software update.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:58 PM
grandpawmoses
Race Director

Received 95 Likes on 41 Posts

For what it's worth, my 2014 is one of the last 2014's built and it does not have a text icon.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:01 PM
C7cmnthru
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

Same with mine - late June/early July 2014 build. I really think the capability isn't resident in our systems. Not sure if its there in the 2015's, which is even more puzzling since the 2015 Impala LTZ I rented 2 weeks ago had it.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:04 PM
FLS2K
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 77 Posts

Are you talking about txt messages received on your phone, or is there some other texting feature available through OnStar/MyLink? If you're talking about your phone they should push through with Bluetooth. On my '15 I get a notice in the gauge center and the primary screen. I can have the car read the txt aloud or ignore it.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:19 PM
RonC7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,295 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by FLS2K
Are you talking about txt messages received on your phone, or is there some other texting feature available through OnStar/MyLink? If you're talking about your phone they should push through with Bluetooth. On my '15 I get a notice in the gauge center and the primary screen. I can have the car read the txt aloud or ignore it.
I have this capability on my 2014 GMC and I can select from a list of canned messages to send over my bluetooth linked android phone. The 2014 infotainment manual says the text capability MAY be available and lists the features. But - no text capability on my 2014 Vette built in April. Discussions last year seemed to indicate that the software just wasn't ready.

Ron

Last edited by RonC7; 03-02-2015 at 11:23 PM. Reason: .
Old 03-02-2015, 11:26 PM
FLS2K
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by RonC7
I have this capability on my 2014 GMC and I can select from a list of canned messages to send over my bluetooth linked android phone. The 2014 infotainment manual says the text capability MAY be available and lists the features. But - no text capability on my 2014 Vette built in April. Discussions last year seemed to indicate that the software just wasn't ready.

Ron
Gotcha. I can confirm my '15 receives txts and also has the canned, but editable, responses.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:40 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by FLS2K
Gotcha. I can confirm my '15 receives txts and also has the canned, but editable, responses.
Yup, same here.

Get notified of new replies

To Text Messaging Capability - GM Infotainment Help response

Quick Reply: Text Messaging Capability - GM Infotainment Help response