Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N air intake system for my '14 Z51

Old 03-06-2015, 10:12 AM
Zee51Vert
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Default K&N air intake system for my '14 Z51

To those that have installed this was it worth it? How easy was the install? Do you recommend it? Pros and cons?

K&N claims 12.5 HP and 16 foot/pound increase????

Thanks!!

Zee

The K&N 63-3081 AirCharger air intake system replaces the restrictive factory air filter and air intake housing in some Chevrolet Corvette models. K&N intakes are designed to dramatically reduce intake restriction as they smooth and straighten air flow. This allows your engine to inhale a larger amount of air than the factory air filter assembly. More air means more usable power and acceleration throughout the engine’s RPM range. The 63-3081 air intake comes with an ultra-lightweight carbon fiber K&N high-flow air filter and a heat shield that installs into the previous air box space. Air is directed through an aerodynamically engineered intake tube into the engine’s throttle body for a guaranteed power gain. The tube accommodates the factory mass air sensor and crank case vent hose. The oversized oval cone-shaped air filter can be used for up to 100,000 miles before servicing is needed depending on driving conditions. This air intake is relatively easy to install usually in 90 minutes or less using existing factory mounting points requiring commonly available tools to do the job.
•Guaranteed horsepower gain
•Designed to improve throttle response and engine sound
•Free-flowing polyethylene intake tube
•Replaces entire factory air intake system
•Easy to install, usually in 90 minutes or less
Old 03-06-2015, 10:14 AM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

I highly doubt you'll see those kind of numbers from adding an intake to your car. The stock intake actually is pretty efficient.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:26 AM
ILuvUMan
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by theanswriz42
I highly doubt you'll see those kind of numbers from adding an intake to your car. The stock intake actually is pretty efficient.
I disagree. I use to race motorcycles. I'd race against my friends with exactly the same bike. One difference. They had K&N, I didn't. No dynos, real life, elbow to elbow racing. I was embarrassed, they'd beat me so badly. Once my scoots were broken in, the first thing I'd do is put a K&N in. Made all the difference in the world, the embarrassment came to an abrupt halt, once my new filter was in.

We would clean our filters every week, especially when racing in the dirt, too. Know how inexpensive and easy it is to clean a K&N versus putting a new paper filter in every week?

PS: Don't you think GM, might just like selling you a new paper filter every 10kish miles or so?
Old 03-06-2015, 10:49 AM
ILuvUMan
Racer

Brief and more simple video below

Last edited by ILuvUMan; 03-06-2015 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:55 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,139 Posts

Don't you think GM, might just like selling you a new paper filter every 10kish miles or so?

How about every 35,000 miles and the benefit is that you actually get clean air into the engine. The stock air filter is state of the art for cleaning efficiency and low pressure drop. These high flow air filters are just advertising hype.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:59 AM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Well...

The average dyno error rate is 1 to 3 percent.
If you use those numbers, you can easily get
those numbers +/-. I would never confirm or
dispute those numbers based on that alone.

What I can tell you is that we have sold a ton of
these intakes since they came out. Our customers
report better throttle response and better HWY mileage.

http://www.c7corvettepartsandaccesso...ystems_c48.htm

Regards
Chip

Old 03-06-2015, 11:06 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,679 Likes on 2,899 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
How about every 35,000 miles and the benefit is that you actually get clean air into the engine. The stock air filter is state of the art for cleaning efficiency and low pressure drop. These high flow air filters are just advertising hype.
Yet gains are still had by installing aftermarket intakes or simply replacing the air filter with an aftermarket drop-in Don't give the stock filter too much credit, although good in design and better than its predecessors of years past, it's still a restrictive paper element that costs just as much to replace as a reusable aftermarket option. If you want a good balance between flow and filtering, the AFE ProDryS is an excellent choice.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:25 AM
ILuvUMan
Racer

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
Don't you think GM, might just like selling you a new paper filter every 10kish miles or so?

OK 35K miles. Just don't get into much dust or heaven forbid a dirt race course.

New filters are about $100. Just the K&M Filter with no intake modification is around $70. Only need to put ONE K&M filter for as long as you own your C7 and cleaning a K&M Filter is probably about $1.

I'm not affiliated with K&M. Just speaking from experience.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:31 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 473 Posts
Tech Contributor

I bought an Airraid filter 6K ago. Would not do it again. Don't care about the "washability", and everything else is the same as the stock filter...
Old 03-06-2015, 11:32 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Originally Posted by ILuvUMan
OK 35K miles. Just don't get into much dust or heaven forbid a dirt race course.

New filters are about $100. Just the K&M Filter with no intake modification is around $70. Only need to put ONE K&M filter for as long as you own your C7 and cleaning a K&M Filter is probably about $1.

I'm not affiliated with K&M. Just speaking from experience.
I have absolutely no problem paying $100 every 35,000 miles for clean air to the engine. Speaking from knowledge.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:56 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

For a truly minimal gain (read K&N's advertising carefully, they always say gains "up to" some HP and torque number) which someone else has already observed is within the error of a dyno.

If you want to let more dust into your engine that's your decision. I won't. This says all I need to know:

This graph is from an excellent analysis entitled "Debunking the K&N Myth - Why OEM is Better" at this link: http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html It's a very interesting read.

Last edited by Steve_R; 03-06-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:37 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Not arguing the point but that graph, cut off at 96, really overstates the case.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:06 PM
C2367
Drifting

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts

K&N showed on a video around the same gain with just a K&N OEM replacement air filter. K&N does not say the complete system well not void your warranty as they do for just the filter replacement. In the past I asked at the service department at a Chevy dealership if a replacement CAI would void my warranty and was told they would not. On my C6 LS3 tried on the 1/4 mile the stock system, the Z06 stock system with a K&N and the K&N CAI, all the runs where within a 1/2 tenth and 1/2 mph. The LT1 system does look better then the OEM system under your hood but what really helps is air temp and engine temp and that is free.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:30 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

when someone can prove to me without a shadow of a doubt that these "mods" produce significant gains in bhp then I will fork over my hard earned money, I fell for the Diablo Tune, I will not fall for a CAI without documented proof and not some graph that any grade school kid could produce with MS Paint. Fool me once.......
Old 03-06-2015, 09:46 PM
tcotta411
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
Default What do you mean you fell for the Diablo Tune?

I am thinking of getting the Diablo tune. Is it not worth it? Do you know something I don't know?
Old 03-06-2015, 10:14 PM
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ILuvUMan
I disagree. I use to race motorcycles. I'd race against my friends with exactly the same bike. One difference. They had K&N, I didn't. No dynos, real life, elbow to elbow racing. I was embarrassed, they'd beat me so badly. Once my scoots were broken in, the first thing I'd do is put a K&N in. Made all the difference in the world, the embarrassment came to an abrupt halt, once my new filter was in.

How is this relevant to a C7?......Totally different application.....
Old 03-06-2015, 10:20 PM
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by CCA Corvette Parts
Well...

The average dyno error rate is 1 to 3 percent.
If you use those numbers, you can easily get
those numbers +/-. I would never confirm or
dispute those numbers based on that alone.

What I can tell you is that we have sold a ton of
these intakes since they came out. Our customers
report better throttle response and better HWY mileage.

http://www.c7corvettepartsandaccesso...ystems_c48.htm

Regards
Chip
Looks like the placebo effect is alive and well....

.How can replacing the stock intake, which isnt flow limited at part throttle, result in better throttle response / gas mileage?

Changing the floor mats should make a comparable difference....And would have less warranty ramifications.....

Get notified of new replies

To K&N air intake system for my '14 Z51

Old 03-06-2015, 10:52 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

And what if you just waxed it?
Old 03-06-2015, 11:06 PM
OLD_GOAT
Drifting

Received 396 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by tcotta411
I am thinking of getting the Diablo tune. Is it not worth it? Do you know something I don't know?
I can say that the Diablo 93 tune for a 2014 Dodge Charger SRT was a total waste of money. I will try the 91 tune and see what happens.

I also bought a Diablo for my 2015 Z51 auto, but won't consider trying it out until winter 2015. I want to see what my car will do bone stock before modding it.

Now to the cold air intakes. I've been seeing this >10 hp gain on different cars since I had my 2005 auto GTO, and I've yet to believe all of this hp improvements. Of course dumb me bought one for my GTO, G8 GXP, and 2 2013 Mustang GTs.

The thing about the cai is that we want so hard to justify paying >$350 bucks we can feel the immediate improvement by the seat of our pants, and our ears hear something different. The cai is something any of us can install within an hour at the house with minimal tools, it's something that we believe we can get immediate results for minimal dollars. On a great majority of cars, this is the first mod that is done. All of us want to so hard to believe what we see written.

Also, I don't want to see any video about the cai from the producers of it or those who sell it.

My opinion for what it's worth...........75% snake oil and I'm going to be very generous and claim 25% truth as far as horsepower improvements go, as advertised.

I can believe up to 3 or so hp, but not anything over that.

Lastly, the wording of up to 15 horsepower is like saying a slot machine pays up to 99%. Vegas is still being built and improved mainly on slot winnings. Up to 99% can also mean 1%.

Last edited by OLD_GOAT; 03-06-2015 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:07 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,210 Likes on 822 Posts

k&N is the automotive air filter equivalent of those XRAY glasses that used to be advertised on the back pages of comic books and Mad magazine.

Just take your stock filter and punch a few holes in it with a pencil and you'll get the same result...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: K&N air intake system for my '14 Z51