Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fun dealer story - what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 05:28 PM
Maesin
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fun dealer story - what would you do?

So I took delivery of my C7 about 4 weeks ago. My salesman was one of those older guys who tries to be your buddy and I will add he is not very intelligent. I have a GM supplier code from my employer which at first he said they could use, but then when it was deal time they refused, ok... they have that right.

So I negotiated a decent price (by the way I did better than supplier price because they didn't know Chevrolet increased the prices back in February).

Also, the car they found with the options I wanted was about 280 miles away, which they told me they have a driver who brings them in, reluctantly I agreed because I didn't want to order from factory and maybe wait months. They told me they would not pay to truck it in.

So about 10 days ago my salesman called me and asked if I did the GM survey, which I had not. He asked me to do it, so I did. I was honest, the experience was better than average, most things I said I was satisfied but it wasn't spectacular because the salesman tried a few games with me, whatever. In the comments I wrote about the mileage and the refusal of GMsupplier but I said I agreed to both.

My phone wakes me up this morning at 6:49AM. I run to it thinking there might be an emergency but I didn't recognize the number. I googled the number and it was my dealer. 5 minutes later my salesman calls from his cell, which I did know the number so I answered.....

The salesman starts screaming at me for my answers on the survey. He tells me it cost him thousands of dollars, he wished he had never done the deal, and for me to never go back to the dealership.

I have calmed down a bit from this morning because I was fuming mad.... what would YOU do?

Old 03-06-2015, 05:35 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

I'd do exactly what he said not to do: go back to the dealership. However, I would not talk to him, I would talk to the Sales Manager or General Manager about how this guy treated you on this very rude early phone call.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:43 PM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
I'd do exactly what he said not to do: go back to the dealership. However, I would not talk to him, I would talk to the Sales Manager or General Manager about how this guy treated you on this very rude early phone call.
Yep and to top that off I would call Chevrolet Customer service and file a complaint. Usually if someone calls me looking for trouble I try to bend over backwards to give them what they ask for.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:46 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Hey, he asked you to do the survey...

Now call the dealership and Chevy customer service. Tell em what happened.

Or blackmail the sales man. haha.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:00 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 927 Likes on 485 Posts
Tech Contributor

You have every right to be upset with a phone call like that. A scum move. If you want, go report it to the gen sales manager. But realize probably nothing will happen with the salesman, he'll just be told not to call people at 6:49 anymore. Seriously. And life will go on . No letters to GM, to the dealer, or anything else will change this. He already is screwed $ wise from you, that is true. Personally, I'd just go find a new dealer and establish a new relationship.

Last edited by Glen e; 03-06-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:06 PM
seel2000
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, when you said he wasn't all that smart, you weren't exagerating at all. In most cases I would say let it go, but not this one. I'd ask to speak to the General Manager and report the guy. You will be doing them a huge favor.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:06 PM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcticC7
Yep and to top that off I would call Chevrolet Customer service and file a complaint. Usually if someone calls me looking for trouble I try to bend over backwards to give them what they ask for.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:10 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,574 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Geez, do bad or marginal survey results REALLY cost the dealer thousands of dollars??
Old 03-06-2015, 06:12 PM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 110 Posts

Ok, so I'm not too savvy with how their commission works, but how the hell did you filling out a survey cost him thousands? Its not like GM took money from the dealership because of a survey, and if they did, then maybe this whole concept of selling cars through a dealer has run it's course. Al Gore invented the internet for a reason right?
Old 03-06-2015, 06:13 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

My Honda dealer salesperson who is top shelf in behavior and scores in the top 5% in the country yearly......asked in advance that if I could not answer with the top score to any question to call him and discuss. He did say it is taken dead seriously.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:14 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by mdiiulio
Ok, so I'm not too savvy with how their commission works, but how the hell did you filling out a survey cost him thousands? Its not like GM took money from the dealership because of a survey, and if they did, then maybe this whole concept of selling cars through a dealer has run it's course. Al Gore invented the internet for a reason right?
My salesperson told me they lose their customer satisfaction bonus if they score low on a survey.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:15 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 927 Likes on 485 Posts
Tech Contributor

this is general , but a sales guy gets a certain pay bonus per car if all his surveys for the month reach a certain number, like 90% excellent.

Guy sells 30 cars and if above 90 gets him another $50 a car, thats $1500 just for the month....

The sls mgr works on a similar plan except a conglomeration of all sales for the month..more $$$$

Further, the entire dealer is scored and a certain % or $ of each invoice is given out as a bonus quarterly.....this IS thousands......

Last edited by Glen e; 03-06-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:19 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by Maesin
what would YOU do?

Go visit him.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:30 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

I would contact GM Customer Service and tell them you would like to revise your survey response to state that you are completely dissatisfied, and cite this as the reason.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:34 PM
Maesin
Heel & Toe

So here is what I did...

I called the sales manager who is also the son of the owner. I explained what happened and he asked me to screenshot my call list that showed the time of the call and email it to him, which I did. I told him I never want to be contacted again by this salesman and if I did I would file a harassment charge and I would sue the dealership for the price of the car.

I got back an email of apology and he said he would take care of it. He also told me that GM gave my survey a score of a "0" which knocked the salesman's average below the line to get a bonus. The funny thing is, I didn't give him a bad review, it was even above average.

He deserves this anyway. I had to ask him 10 times over 3 days to tell me the best interest rate he could get me because I needed to know if I was financing through the dealership or my own bank.... even after the 10th time when I said, "I NEED A NUMBER!!!!", I got a reply like, "We got you, it's all good."

I will let it go without filing a complain to Chevy, but if he contacts me again all hell will break loose. Of course he has my SSN, credit card #, address, etc... and he is just stupid enough to try something VERY stupid. We shall see.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:39 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

You can't change your survey.

Who cares if the salesman told you not to come back, he has zero authority and his opinion is probably not valued anyways. There is a reason he's old and selling cars.

Do whatever you want. It's not your fault he's a turd. If you like the service dept, then go there.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:42 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Maesin
So here is what I did...

I called the sales manager who is also the son of the owner. I explained what happened and he asked me to screenshot my call list that showed the time of the call and email it to him, which I did. I told him I never want to be contacted again by this salesman and if I did I would file a harassment charge and I would sue the dealership for the price of the car.

I got back an email of apology and he said he would take care of it. He also told me that GM gave my survey a score of a "0" which knocked the salesman's average below the line to get a bonus. The funny thing is, I didn't give him a bad review, it was even above average.

He deserves this anyway. I had to ask him 10 times over 3 days to tell me the best interest rate he could get me because I needed to know if I was financing through the dealership or my own bank.... even after the 10th time when I said, "I NEED A NUMBER!!!!", I got a reply like, "We got you, it's all good."

I will let it go without filing a complain to Chevy, but if he contacts me again all hell will break loose. Of course he has my SSN, credit card #, address, etc... and he is just stupid enough to try something VERY stupid. We shall see.
Just so you know, salesmen are trained/not allowed to give you a rate over the phone (or sometimes at all). The dealer wants your financing business and isn't going to give you a shopping ticket.....if you want to know a rate, fill out a credit app and let the finance manager submit it and give you a rate. No bank, credit union, or dealership can just spit out a rate unless they know your infos.

If his survey average for the bonus time period was low enough that one bad survey brought him below threshold, it's not your fault. There are plenty of other bad surveys in there to go with it.

Get notified of new replies

To Fun dealer story - what would you do?

Old 03-06-2015, 06:51 PM
Maesin
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
Just so you know, salesmen are trained/not allowed to give you a rate over the phone (or sometimes at all). The dealer wants your financing business and isn't going to give you a shopping ticket.....if you want to know a rate, fill out a credit app and let the finance manager submit it and give you a rate. No bank, credit union, or dealership can just spit out a rate unless they know your infos.

If his survey average for the bonus time period was low enough that one bad survey brought him below threshold, it's not your fault. There are plenty of other bad surveys in there to go with it.
In the past I have had salesman give me numbers over the phone. I told him what my bank was offering and told him if he could beat that I would go with him, but he would never give me a straight answer and I was trying to avoid going to take delivery and all of a sudden he would throw a high rate at me.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:54 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

These customer surveys are out of control. I've been buying BMWs and Audis for over 35 years and I have seen a significant increase in pressure to give the dealers nothing but top scores both from the sales and service sides of the business. BMW and Audi dealers even send you a "presurvey" to complete and return before you ever get the "official" survey. If you give them anything but top scores you will get a call from either the Sales or General Manager wanting to know why they didn't get all top scores. I've been told that there is serious money involved with a dealership not getting what is considered an excellent score. By excellent they mean nothing but top scores. No person or company is "perfect". They need to understand this. I guess it's similar to grade inflation in high school and some colleges.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:03 PM
roadsterboy
Racer

Received 259 Likes on 98 Posts

Be careful giving a dealer your credit app for financing. I have read on credit card forums that doing that can result in a ton of inquiries on your credit report and drop your score for multiple inquiries since they shop you around. Some claim that so many inquiries got them a denial for other credit because of too many inquiries. Get your financing in place before you go to the dealer.

Quick Reply: Fun dealer story - what would you do?