Sponsored by:

Early OnStar activation question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 11:29 AM
FirehawkTA
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Early OnStar activation question

*** 4/1 Update: Please see post #15 if you are willing to help me.
*** Never mind. Got it.

I would like to active OnStar before taking delivery of my car ... as many have done. My dealer says he can input my information on the computer, but it ends with an "Accept or Decline terms" button choice that I have to click.

If he stops at that point without pretending to be me can I still finish the activation myself or does this acceptance of terms have to happen first before I do my part of the activation?

Last edited by FirehawkTA; 04-01-2015 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Added update, then spelling fix
Old 03-19-2015, 11:37 AM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

Someone needs to push the blue button IIRC
Old 03-19-2015, 12:10 PM
GeoV55
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FirehawkTA
I would like to active OnStar before taking delivery of my car ... as many have done. My dealer says he can input my information on the computer, but it ends with an "Accept or Decline terms" button choice that I have to click.

If he stops at that point without pretending to be me can I still finish the activation myself or does this acceptance of terms have to happen first before I do my part of the activation?
All you need to do is setup an account. You need to have the account number. If you do not have the account number you can call Onstar to get it. You need to have the VIN# to do this.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:18 PM
FirehawkTA
Racer

Originally Posted by GeoV55
All you need to do is setup an account. You need to have the account number. If you do not have the account number you can call Onstar to get it. You need to have the VIN# to do this.
Thank you. I have the ViN. The dealer did all that he could up to and not including the "accept terms" part. I'll call OnStar tomorrow to see if I can complete it.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:56 AM
FirehawkTA
Racer

Anyone willing to help me a little more? I have been completely unsuccessful. Here is what I have done.

1. The dealer tells me he has signed me up on his computer UP TO the "accept terms" button.
2. I have called OnStar five times now and every one of them tell me the only way to do it is to hit the blue button on the car.

I have read Elegant's thread on the other forum from December. I have read many other threads here, some not giving activation detail and some referring to Elegant's thread.

Anyone willing to point out what I'm missing? Thank you!

Last edited by FirehawkTA; 03-20-2015 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-20-2015, 10:45 PM
Lakeway
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Same here

Just got off the phone w/OnStar.
I have the VIN but they said the blue button must be pushed.
How are these other people accessing the location of their vehicles?
Old 03-20-2015, 10:49 PM
CDH76
Safety Car

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

The dealership signs you up and then you download the app to you phone to check status. You'll use the same email address they used to sign you up with.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:50 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Why not just let the dealer click the "Accept Terms" icon? There's nothing there that can hurt you. Once they do that, you'll be able to activate the account by pressing the blue button.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:27 AM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Why not just let the dealer click the "Accept Terms" icon? There's nothing there that can hurt you. Once they do that, you'll be able to activate the account by pressing the blue button.
He doesn't physically have the car yet. That makes it hard to push the blue button, no?
Old 03-22-2015, 02:48 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by meyerweb
He doesn't physically have the car yet. That makes it hard to push the blue button, no?
What I suggested was that the buyer allow the dealer to complete the online registration NOW by letting him click on "Accept Terms". The buyer will then be able to complete the activation by simply pushing the blue button once the car arrives. Pretty simple stuff, no?
Old 03-22-2015, 03:38 PM
GeoV55
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

This is quite simple.

You need to setup account with Onstar.
You need account number to do this. Call Onstar to get the Account number. You will need to have the VIN#.
After I setup my account some functions of remotelink require a pin number so I called Onstar back and setup the pin number.

I did mine last week.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:21 PM
BBMedic
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My car delivered last week. It was built on 3/3/15. Here is what to do,, I know because I did it!!! Hey guy's, just call or go by your dealership and ask them to activate your On Star. It takes them all of 3 minuets. Once they activate it call On Star and set up your account. NO YOU DONT HAVE TO GIVE THEM A CREDIT CARD AND NO YOU DON'T HAVE TO PUSH THE BLUE BUTTON. That takes another 5 minuets. Down load the app on your phone, iPad or smart phone. Log in to your account and go to the map icon. Click on the little blue car, it will ask for your PIN number (four number code that you set up with the On Star person) type that in and Ta-Da your cars location will pop up... Hope this helps...
Old 03-22-2015, 06:25 PM
FirehawkTA
Racer

Thanks, guys. (I'm the OP.) For anyone else watching this, there's a parallel thread here:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tion-help.html

Anyway, it's seems from what you're saying that my problem is his lack of clicking "accept terms." My dealer - not nearby - doesn't want to do it for me, which I can understand.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:55 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
What I suggested was that the buyer allow the dealer to complete the online registration NOW by letting him click on "Accept Terms". The buyer will then be able to complete the activation by simply pushing the blue button once the car arrives. Pretty simple stuff, no?
But what the OP wants to do is this:

I would like to active OnStar before taking delivery of my car ...
Waiting until he takes delivery doesn't quite do that, now does it?
Old 04-01-2015, 11:39 AM
FirehawkTA
Racer

Originally Posted by CoolShoesWalkin
The dealership signs you up and then you download the app to you phone to check status. You'll use the same email address they used to sign you up with.
I have been trying to do this for two weeks. The dealership (which is not near me) tells me they have done their part ... now multiple times. He did hit the "accept terms" and it shows as completed.

I asked for an account number. He says the resulting page shows no account number. I have received no email at the address that he used. (Not even in spam folder.). I called OnStar more than once and they say it is impossible to do this without hitting the blue button.

The dealer is willing to follow my instructions if I can provide any more detail, but I don't know what else needs to be tried. Anyone know what I may be missing?

Thank you all.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:20 PM
FirehawkTA
Racer

Got it!
I don't know what happened. I called OnStar yet again and this time they found my account number.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:59 PM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Glad you got it, I loved being able to watch my car move as it came on the truck.

For the record I did what you did, dealer set up account then I called onstar for account number and setup my app and voila it worked.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:24 PM
FirehawkTA
Racer

I appreciate all those who offered help.

The problem was that I thought this was done a couple of weeks ago, but OnStar kept telling me there was no account for me and the blue button is the only way to do it. I've been regularly bugging the poor dealer salesman. I don't know why it worked today.

I'm so impatient because I saw my car being built 14 days ago 2 hours from my house. Why is it still sitting in Bowling Green?! I go on vacation next week.

Anyway, it's nice that you all are willing to read through this and make suggestions for something that has been coved plenty before.

Get notified of new replies

To Early OnStar activation question

Quick Reply: Early OnStar activation question