C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 Owners, Please Advise-starting to get PO'd at this transmission..

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 05:38 PM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default A8 Owners, Please Advise-starting to get PO'd at this transmission..

So today for the second time since I got the car this happens again. Car has 650 miles on it is all. While driving through a strip mall at slow speed in touring mode I come up to a stop light slowing to a stop, then Bang Bang I hear two loud clunks from the tranny and a severe forward jerk that felt like I had just been rear ended this is how it down shifted into first! Is this NORMAL for this transmission? Like I said only the second time this has happened, but for me its two times to many.

Last edited by ArcticC7; 03-22-2015 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:47 PM
sprk33
2018 Grand Sport
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a A8 2015 Z51 and I have never had that happen to me....I have just over 1000 miles on mine.....I would take it to the dealer and have them check it out....I drive in sport mode most of the time though not sure if that makes a difference. I don't care what mode your in if your tranny is clunking there is a prob.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:49 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Were you in manual? What mode?
I have 2000 miles on mine. I barley notice it in manual mode as I am coming to a stop and auto rev kicks in. I believe its normal. You are on the brakes, Auto rev gives it gas, and the transmission is shifting to lower gear all at the same time.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:58 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 793 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcticC7
So today for the second time since I got the car this happens again. Car has 650 miles on it is all. While driving through a strip mall at slow speed in touring mode I come up to a stop light slowing to a stop, then Bang Bang I hear two loud clunks from the tranny and a severe forward jerk that felt like I had just been rear ended this is how it down shifted into first! Is this NORMAL for this transmission? Like I said only the second time this has happened, but for me its two times to many.
Take your car to a dealer and explain it to the techs and try to get it to occur for them. Your transmission sounds like its bad. From the loud whine you mentioned in another thread and now this. I'm sorry but my first step would have been to take it in, not ask an internet forum about it or complain. Its a mass produced car, not a hand built exotic, you may have gotten a bad tranny, it happens. The best course of action is to have it serviced and if its really bad, replaced.

It sucks to buy something new and have it break, but thats what warranties are for.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:12 PM
Sir Nuke
Drifting

Received 425 Likes on 245 Posts

I have a little over 1700 miles on mine.....I think you some type of problem, take it back to the dealer. I have never experienced anything like that......so I have to believe that is NOT Normal by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:15 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermassive
Take your car to a dealer and explain it to the techs and try to get it to occur for them. Your transmission sounds like its bad. From the loud whine you mentioned in another thread and now this. I'm sorry but my first step would have been to take it in, not ask an internet forum about it or complain. Its a mass produced car, not a hand built exotic, you may have gotten a bad tranny, it happens. The best course of action is to have it serviced and if its really bad, replaced.

It sucks to buy something new and have it break, but thats what warranties are for.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:08 PM
donkeyman
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also think that the sooner you have this in GM's records, the better your case may be in the future should you need to escalate this. Good luck.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:12 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Sounds like it's time for visit to the dealership.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:14 PM
URBAN LEGEND
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermassive

Uh, forums are usually the ones telling service departments what time it is. It's a valid question.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:27 PM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Sounds like it's time for visit to the dealership.
yea makes me mad. I hate having them fiddling with my car.
For the person who asked it was in full auto mode both times.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:37 PM
GaryTX
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I have about 1500 miles on my Z51, mrc A8 and have not noticed anything wrong unless you count the two new cracks in my windshield.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:57 PM
seel2000
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea makes me mad. I hate having them fiddling with my car.
For the person who asked it was in full auto mode both times.
I think he meant track, sport, ect.

I get hard downshifts in track mode but that's exactly how I want it. Aggressive driving will keep the RPM's higher and up shift less as well.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:00 PM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Originally Posted by seel2000
I think he meant track, sport, ect.

I get hard downshifts in track mode but that's exactly how I want it. Aggressive driving will keep the RPM's higher and up shift less as well.
It was in touring mode.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:10 PM
c7v
Instructor

This happened twice to me. Both times at a gas station coming off a highway exit. The transmission shift was so hard that I thought someone rear ended me. I noticed that both times I had the transmission in D in and in automatic mode and had stomped really hard on the throttle to try to make the exit, last second, in an in familiar area. This never occurred when just driving normally around town. What type of the driving where you doing before this happened?
Old 03-22-2015, 11:14 PM
anders1118
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Just got my 15 A8 on Friday and only have 150 miles on it but have not noticed this. I usually drive in sport mode! I'd take it to the dealer and get it checked out just in case.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:27 PM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Originally Posted by c7v
This happened twice to me. Both times at a gas station coming off a highway exit. The transmission shift was so hard that I thought someone rear ended me. I noticed that both times I had the transmission in D in and in automatic mode and had stomped really hard on the throttle to try to make the exit, last second, in an in familiar area. This never occurred when just driving normally around town. What type of the driving where you doing before this happened?
I was crusing slowly through a strip mall maybe going only 20mph then approached a red light let up off the gas then it just clunked twice and I swear someone hit my *** end the car lurched forward so hard it happened once before the very first day I had it, but I was still startled a little bit. It sounds like what happened to you is exactly what happened to me with that huge forward lurch.

Last edited by ArcticC7; 03-22-2015 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:48 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Not just an A8 problem I get the same thing on my A6. Coming to a stop from a low speed (30-35 mph) the car seems to stay at about 2000 rpm and when it shifts to 1st you have to be on the brakes hard or you overshoot your stop. Not every time i stop and it doesn't make any clunking noises but it is disconcerting. I don't know if this is some kind of rev matching thing or what. Strangely enough it happened last time when I was in Weather mode and the roads were wet, almost scary...

Get notified of new replies

To A8 Owners, Please Advise-starting to get PO'd at this transmission..

Old 03-23-2015, 07:28 AM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Originally Posted by BigJoe
Not just an A8 problem I get the same thing on my A6. Coming to a stop from a low speed (30-35 mph) the car seems to stay at about 2000 rpm and when it shifts to 1st you have to be on the brakes hard or you overshoot your stop. Not every time i stop and it doesn't make any clunking noises but it is disconcerting. I don't know if this is some kind of rev matching thing or what. Strangely enough it happened last time when I was in Weather mode and the roads were wet, almost scary...
It's scary because you don't anticipate it coming then wham!
Old 03-23-2015, 11:21 AM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Take your car to the dealer, actually any dealer it doesn't have to be a Chevy dealer, and trade it in for something other than a C7. That's the only real solution to your problem.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:44 AM
c7v
Instructor

I was crusing slowly through a strip mall maybe going only 20mph then approached a red light let up off the gas then it just clunked twice and I swear someone hit my *** end the car lurched forward so hard it happened once before the very first day I had it, but I was still startled a little bit. It sounds like what happened to you is exactly what happened to me with that huge forward lurch.
Where you driving aggressively before that or any hard acceleration? before the strip mall?

Quick Reply: A8 Owners, Please Advise-starting to get PO'd at this transmission..