Sponsored by:

Repairing run flat tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 06:41 AM
grandpawmoses
Race Director

Received 95 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Repairing run flat tires?

What's the truth about repairing run flat tires? The Vette is my second car with run flats and both dealers (sales managers) told me you cannot repair them. Is that true or are they just trying to sell me an overpriced tire warranty?
Old 03-23-2015, 06:58 AM
HoustonMidtown
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=226
Old 03-23-2015, 06:59 AM
onyx_z71
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

I had a dealer tell me that if they repaired the tire, it would no longer be considered "Z" speed rated, so they refused to fix it but said they would replace it. Since my tire was a rear, and it only had about 2000 miles on it, I stuck a plug in it and called it a day. Been fine for 3000 miles since.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:02 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

I don't think the tire / wheel warranty was overpriced. Maybe it's just me??
Old 03-23-2015, 07:16 AM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,684 Likes on 1,862 Posts

For just normal day-to-day driving, a patch INSIDE the tire is fine. The puncture needs to be in the tread area, not the sidewall. A puncture through the sidewall cannot be repaired. If I was tracking the car, I would not patch the tire, I would repalced it.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:22 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,301 Likes on 13,974 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by BIG Dave
For just normal day-to-day driving, a patch INSIDE the tire is fine. The puncture needs to be in the tread area, not the sidewall. A puncture through the sidewall cannot be repaired. If I was tracking the car, I would not patch the tire, I would repalced it.
When I had runflats on my C5s, the recommended repair was the plug and patch method. Had that done several times and never had a problem with the tire after the repair. I did not take the car to the track though.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:49 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
When I had runflats on my C5s, the recommended repair was the plug and patch method. Had that done several times and never had a problem with the tire after the repair. I did not take the car to the track though.
Combo patch-plug (mushroom) type works just fine for daily drivers. Discount Tire has fixed many of my vette tires over the years. Don't bother going back to the car dealership for tires that need fixing or replacing. It isn't their primary business.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:51 AM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

If you run the tire flat...toss it.
Otherwise...plug patch from inside.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:01 AM
grandpawmoses
Race Director

Thanks for the quick answers. I have an "Airman" compact 12 Volt air compressor from my touring bike days. I'll put that in the trunk & immediately re-inflate a flat so it can be plugged asap.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:08 AM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Received 591 Likes on 372 Posts

I plug tires all the time, I did my z06 last year, no issues. Made several passes at the local drag strip last year also. Good smoky burnouts etc etc, no issues.
Plug the same way you plug a regular tire.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:40 AM
jovette
Melting Slicks

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by C7Jake
If you run the tire flat...toss it.
Otherwise...plug patch from inside.
and as I recall, Michelin states a maximum of two patches per tire, although I don't think it'd bother me to have a tire with three patches, as long as I'm not doing high speed track events with the car.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:30 AM
StingerBG
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Add me to the club....don't know where I picked this gargantuan landscaping nail at, but hopefully getting it patched today. Car was at the dealership getting a service and the technician noticed it. They said a local tire shop said they have a machine that can properly patch a run flat tire. However, they also said they are not responsible if the wheel gets scuffed while on their machine to remove the tire, which is their policy with every wheel. I'm not too comfortable with this, but I'll take my chances considering a new tire is ~$450! Besides, I'm already looking at aftermarket wheels...if they scuff one, that just means its time to pull the trigger!

Old 03-23-2015, 10:41 AM
petepd
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by grandpawmoses
What's the truth about repairing run flat tires? The Vette is my second car with run flats and both dealers (sales managers) told me you cannot repair them. Is that true or are they just trying to sell me an overpriced tire warranty?
Are they saying that, with the warranty they will replace the tire if there is a nail in the tread area? On my V they would only replace if it could not be fixed. If they always replace, it sounds like a good deal at $600. You only need two flats to be on the plus side. I had three on my V the first 8 months I had it!
Old 03-23-2015, 12:08 PM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

This bolt went into my run flats head first as I pulled in to Willow Springs raceway. Patched it for $25. Raced on it for two days. That was 5,000 miles ago; no probs.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:21 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by grandpawmoses
With the Goodyear’s in my C6, Goodyear allowed 2 flats but not if in the outer treads (that is a lot of area!) They used the combo mushroom patch/plug folks mentioned.
The Goodyear tire store in town went out of business so for my 2nd flat (same tire) I went to the only store in town that will fix (and I’d trust to fix) wide run flats. They have a very stiff wall and this Firestone store has the proper non-contact equipment to do them. However they only let 2 of their 15 technicians work on a Vette! In fact the Chevy/BMW/Mercedes dealer in town sends their run flats to them!
The Firestone store will also not fix a flat if in the outer treads! On a Vette that’s ~25% of the area! They will only do one per tire of any brand, which I see is what Tirerack indicates in the Michelin spec.
If you can find someone who will use the plug/patch on a nail in the outer treads and not mess-up your rims that should work. However where I live not much choice!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-23-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:33 PM
grandpawmoses
Race Director

Originally Posted by petepd
Are they saying that, with the warranty they will replace the tire if there is a nail in the tread area? On my V they would only replace if it could not be fixed. If they always replace, it sounds like a good deal at $600. You only need two flats to be on the plus side. I had three on my V the first 8 months I had it!
BMW offered a five year tire and wheel warranty that "he said" would replace, not repair, the tire and repair or replace damaged or scratched wheels for $1200.
When I bought the Vette, they offered a non GM, multi tiered warranty with the tire and wheel coverage only in the top tier. I don't remember the exact number but it was impressively high.

Last edited by grandpawmoses; 03-23-2015 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:22 PM
Bill B 1
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Mines a bit smaller but on the edge I wonder about it being fixable.

Get notified of new replies

To Repairing run flat tires?

Old 03-24-2015, 07:20 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill B 1
Mines a bit smaller but on the edge I wonder about it being fixable.

That is too close to the edge and thus cannot be repaired to be safe!!!
Old 03-24-2015, 07:59 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLD72
That is too close to the edge and thus cannot be repaired to be safe!!!
The Firestone dealer in town is not allowed to patch if the nail is in the outer tread blocks! Not a local rule it's companywide according to what I have been told. (They are the only place in town I would trust to fix a run flat on the Vette, which is where the Chevy/BMW Dealer has their run flats repaired.) They even told me to see if someone else in town would fix one I had in my C6 in an outer tread. An independent tire shop with a Goodyear sign out front looked at the Vette and quickly said "We don't work on run flats on a Corvette!" I probably could have found someone to plug it from the outside since they did not have to dismount the tire, but would not trust that approach.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:12 AM
StingerBG
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by StingerBG
Add me to the club....don't know where I picked this gargantuan landscaping nail at, but hopefully getting it patched today. Car was at the dealership getting a service and the technician noticed it. They said a local tire shop said they have a machine that can properly patch a run flat tire. However, they also said they are not responsible if the wheel gets scuffed while on their machine to remove the tire, which is their policy with every wheel. I'm not too comfortable with this, but I'll take my chances considering a new tire is ~$450! Besides, I'm already looking at aftermarket wheels...if they scuff one, that just means its time to pull the trigger!

Luckily this was actually able to be repaired with the correct patch method for run flats. Cost me $33.75 and they were able to do it without any scuffs on the wheel. As a side note, my car went in for a recall (side passenger air bag) and an oil change, and the only thing I ended up paying for was the tire! I bought it used and knew nothing about a service plan. Guess it transferred? I LOVE THIS CAR!

Quick Reply: Repairing run flat tires?