C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone found a long term lube to quiet the NPP baffle squeak?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 07:23 PM
onyx_z71
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Has anyone found a long term lube to quiet the NPP baffle squeak?

About to get my car on the road for the season soon (Michigan), and I was wondering if anyone has found a lubricant that lasts for squeaking NPP baffles. I have tried a graphite spray lube and a dry spray lubricant, but I can only get a couple weeks before the squeaking begins to return. Due to my car being an auto, I have almost no control over the AFM and NPP operation.

Any info is appreciated if someone here has found a solution. I'm not looking to pull fuses or tune AFM out.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:47 PM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by onyx_z71
About to get my car on the road for the season soon (Michigan), and I was wondering if anyone has found a lubricant that lasts for squeaking NPP baffles. I have tried a graphite spray lube and a dry spray lubricant, but I can only get a couple weeks before the squeaking begins to return. Due to my car being an auto, I have almost no control over the AFM and NPP operation.

Any info is appreciated if someone here has found a solution. I'm not looking to pull fuses or tune AFM out.
Same here I even put a tray of rat poison out but the darn squeaky rodent never dies! I bought a heavy black grease I'm going to try and apply it with an art type paint brush and see if that works for awhile.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:29 PM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

try the white L. spray grease . this is something i've used on every vette i have owned for all the noise inside and out . spray it on move the part around . it last a good while .
but on that d. mode ??? i have that churp or whatever it is haven't had tlme to look .do you think it's comming from the rear D/M or from the from the pipe that is for the back p. for the 4 c. mode , it has a flap too .
sounds like crap !
Old 03-25-2015, 10:24 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Perhaps something like this:

http://www.schaefferoil.com/hi-temp-grease.html
Old 03-26-2015, 08:07 AM
onyx_z71
Pro

Originally Posted by meyerweb
Wow. Never thought there would be a grease type lubricant that would withstand 1200 degrees. Probably would do the trick since it doesn't get that hot back there, and I appreciate the link. I'll have to search around for a similar product sold in a small squeeze tube.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:39 AM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

Almost afraid to say it but this thread just made me realize my 2014 Z51 w/NPP that used to have incessant baffle squeak seems to have stopped. I'm currently at 17,820 miles with all systems working as they should. I'm even thinking there are still between 7-10K left on tire wear.
Wow. Never thought there would be a grease type lubricant that would withstand 1200 degrees. Probably would do the trick since it doesn't get that hot back there, and I appreciate the link. I'll have to search around for a similar product sold in a small squeeze tube.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:54 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

You're right, at the end of the pipes it doesn't get super hot. Another thought might be waterproof grease, if it's moisture that's washing the grease away. Marine grease would probably last a long time if that's the issue.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/291393263551?lpid=82&chn=ps
Old 03-26-2015, 08:59 PM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I also vote marine grease
Old 03-26-2015, 09:16 PM
beachcomber
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 10mm_
I also vote marine grease
Yup, or CV grease.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:30 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

1st I've heard of this "issue"!
Old 03-26-2015, 10:18 PM
coupeguyz51
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

Baffle squeak?
Are you serious?
As loud as this motor is, that is hard to imagine...
Turn up the volume on you music or take it to the dealer...
Old 03-27-2015, 06:55 AM
onyx_z71
Pro

Originally Posted by coupeguyz51
Baffle squeak?
Are you serious?
As loud as this motor is, that is hard to imagine...
Turn up the volume on you music or take it to the dealer...
Since your car isn't an auto, your AFM and NPP baffle operation is completely different and far less frequent if even being used at all. The squeak noise happens during the opening and closing of the baffles. I explained in my original post that my car is an auto, and because of that, the AFM and NPP operation is different then a manual.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:46 AM
billythekid310
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since your car isn't an auto, your AFM and NPP baffle operation is completely different and far less frequent if even being used at all. The squeak noise happens during the opening and closing of the baffles. I explained in my original post that my car is an auto, and because of that, the AFM and NPP operation is different then a manual.
Can you not go into the options to turn sound management on or off? I just keep my exhaust open the whole time.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:31 AM
onyx_z71
Pro

Originally Posted by billythekid310
Can you not go into the options to turn sound management on or off? I just keep my exhaust open the whole time.
AFM is on in all modes with an automatic. The baffles open and shut no matter how "Engine Sound Management" is set.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:19 PM
billythekid310
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AFM is on in all modes with an automatic. The baffles open and shut no matter how "Engine Sound Management" is set.
Oh, thanks for the information. Looks like I'm the dummy

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone found a long term lube to quiet the NPP baffle squeak?

Quick Reply: Has anyone found a long term lube to quiet the NPP baffle squeak?