C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arrests for Corvette owners in Street Racing Sting in Houston - PDR used as evidence?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 07:26 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

C7 hater narced on those beautiful C6s.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:34 PM
Lacoven
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rad22
Firstly...I have NEVER street raced...never...so I can and will express my opinion.
Find it hard to believe that you never have exceeded the speed limit, and guess what that is breaking the law. Speeds are set for safety purposes, like you driving 29 in a posted 25 residential area could lead to more brake time needed to avoid hitting a child going out for a ball etc. I understand there is a line between reckless endangerment and people looking for a quick smile, but the guys in the video waited till traffic was clear to gas it (which is breaking the law) but hardly reckless endangerment as there was no other crossing lanes of traffic before the stop light. Some of the responses seem really down right judgmental and hypocritical when I would bet everything I own that everyone in this forum has broke the law at some point with their vehicle.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:39 PM
Lacoven
Instructor

Originally Posted by OLD_GOAT
How about if the Sherrifs dept got a Vette loaner from a local dealership with the PDR.

I wonder if a couple of street racing fans like norcalss or carboy will come on here and defend street racing.
Then the cops exceed 100 in an unmarked vehicle with no lights going, so they are just as guilty and could of caused death or injury themselves.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:40 PM
Operations
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 231 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by EcoBrick Bob
They sell Edible SD cards on AMAZON.... (Taste like Chickin...)
Do you have a link?
I cant seem to find them, although I prefer the biscuits and gravy flavor available in the eatable undies dept.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:48 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

What car would Jesus street race?
Old 03-27-2015, 08:10 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,921 Likes on 4,807 Posts

Looked pretty harmless to me. Clear path reasonable speed, slow day for the cops.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:33 PM
flange
Team Owner

Received 267 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

report says the c7 was an undercover cop right at the beginning.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:37 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Too bad that cars aren't confiscated.....that would solve the entire problem......take it to the track.....
Old 03-27-2015, 08:53 PM
KevinSun
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
Honestly, this could have been any number of us who got caught up in the moment.

And while I do not promote street racing, I have done it myself. But many times when I am tempted to get a good romp in, I also consider second and third order affects to include the consequences should I get caught by law enforcement.

Unless you NEVER (not once, ever) raced on the street or are guilty of exhibition of speed (whether you got caught or not), blasting these Corvette guys who were caught is hypocritical to say the least.

Yeah, it sucks for them....but how many of us really buy a Corvette or invest $$$ simply for car shows and posted limit cruises and not once ever testing some sort of performance limits out on the streets? I got it....."Take it to the track", but the track isn't always a convenience.

If you've never (not once ever) street raced, then good for your upstanding citizenship as a motor vehicle operator. For those that have (or do), this news story could have been any one of us.

Know who you are running with and consider the consequences to your actions. It only takes one moment of crazed abandon to experience a significant emotional event like these Corvette guys featured in the news.

By the way, anyone recognize any of them?
Good point and well said Wicked. You helped me realize that I may be guilty of the sin of hypocrisy.

I do not agree with street racing, nor do I agree with excessive speed. But, I have occasionally stomped on it for fun. I know I certainly didn't buy the 'Vette because I thought it was slow.

So, "excessive" becomes subjective. Good thing we have courts to define that stuff.

That said, driving is a privilege, not a right. The ability to stomp on it in a performance car is also privilege limited to a small minority of the population.

Privileges come with responsibilities if they are to be maintained. As a representative group of Corvette owners and performance car owners in general, we need to set a tone of responsibility to ensure someone doesn't start thinking that those privileges should be limited.

Last edited by KevinSun; 03-27-2015 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:51 PM
URBAN LEGEND
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm here in Houston and those roads are super hot. I mean super hot.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:05 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

I was led to believe it was the Police driving the Z06 undercover vehicle making the recordings. So called "Sting Operation".
Just re watched it, Some of the first words are, "Undercover car blending in with 3 Corvettes"

Last edited by jaden61; 03-27-2015 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:42 PM
StanFerguson
Intermediate

No C4 vettes were arrested the police thought they were just driving down the street. No c4 went past the city speed limit.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:56 PM
11B250
Melting Slicks

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I love reading these. ****ing internet lawyers and hardworking taxpayers at work demanding money be spent on catching rapists and murderers

These threads crack me up everytime. and I come in every time to post this LOL

That is pretty sweet though. lol

Racing in so flo died about 10 years ago here. it used to be like TX, now it's just here and there as far as I know.

Last edited by 11B250; 03-27-2015 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:24 PM
RIKKI Z-06
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by 77vette05
In my opinion they need to concentrate on the texting and driving. The death toll every year is around 6000 with 330,000 injuries. Street racing only about 150 deaths. Texting and driving cause 1.6 million crashes a year. 1 out of every 4 accidents are from texting. I'm not promoting street racing but these stats show what a major problem texting and driving is over street racing.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:47 PM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
My apologies if I sound like an a$$, but if you were nearly hit by street racers jumping a stop light then you were probably running a deep yellow. Yellow means stop if possible.
Yes, in fact you do sound that way.

They had apparently started from a light one city block away and ran our light. We were just pulling into the intersection after the light turned green for us and were nearly hit in the middle of the intersection as they roared past at probably 75-80 mph, at about 11 pm downtown as we were coming home from a concert.

Beyond that, your comment is astounding. There are plenty of cases where it may not be possible to stop during a yellow light. Two jackasses taking off before their light turns green is illegal, stupid and life-threatening in many cases. Even though my case didn't happen as you described, you imply that it would have been partially my fault. The ignorance astounds.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:49 PM
js1977
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 11B250
I love reading these. ****ing internet lawyers and hardworking taxpayers at work demanding money be spent on catching rapists and murderers
Omg isn't it so funny, o man it's just like that time that you got with those two dogs.... Wait what?!? It's sarcasim man, try and catch it next time, who gives a **** about some guys racing their cars and the cops wasting time and money on some big sting "pun intended" operation to catch them? It's fun to make jokes about, but this thread shouldn't be taken serious or even cause anyone to get upset about, haha! Good read comment wise...
Old 03-28-2015, 12:12 AM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

I think that if you are caught street racing, your car should be confiscated. No further discussion. That would put an end to it.

There is a huge difference between slightly exceeding the speed limit or "getting on it" when you are in a safe location (not in the city, not on a residential street, not with other cars around and not when there are uncontrolled sidestreets or the possibility of hitting a pedestrian as well as other considerations) and lining up with another car for a race.

By definition when street racing, both drivers are concentrating only on accelerating as fast as possible, potentially reaching very high rates of speed, probably in close quarters with attention diverted from what is happening outside their own car other than what the competitor is doing. They are concentrating on shift points, wheelspin control, and possibly controlling fishtailing.

How anyone could support, condone or tacitly defend street racing is just stupefying.

Get notified of new replies

To Arrests for Corvette owners in Street Racing Sting in Houston - PDR used as evidence?

Old 03-28-2015, 12:50 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,233 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Well said.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:11 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by Rad22
There is a huge difference between slightly exceeding the speed limit or "getting on it" when you are in a safe location (not in the city, not on a residential street, not with other cars around and not when there are uncontrolled sidestreets or the possibility of hitting a pedestrian as well as other considerations) and lining up with another car for a race.
Quite the change of opinion expressed in your initial response quoting my response. I guess if street racers meet acceptible conditions X, Y, and Z you describe above, it's okay?

Sorry. But you just lost credibility Sir.

Last edited by WICKEDFRC; 03-28-2015 at 01:15 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:24 AM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
Quite the change of opinion expressed in your initial response quoting my response. I guess if street racers meet acceptible conditions X, Y, and Z you describe above, it's okay?

Sorry. But you just lost credibility Sir.
Sorry. "Sir", but my credibility is totally intact.

You are hearing what you want to hear.

In my opinion, street racing (as defined by two or more cars in a speed competition on a public thoroughfare) is stupid, dangerous and criminally negligent in most cases and has been found to be so in multiple, innumerable court cases. The element of competition injects so much risk, bravado, injudicious and ludicrous stupidity that it's just patently wrong.

What I said was that in certain very limited situations, in a non-competitive environment, when conditions permit, that exceeding the speed limit and "getting on it" etc. may be okay. That's a far cry from street racing.

Quick Reply: Arrests for Corvette owners in Street Racing Sting in Houston - PDR used as evidence?