C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arrests for Corvette owners in Street Racing Sting in Houston - PDR used as evidence?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 03:25 AM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lacoven
Then the cops exceed 100 in an unmarked vehicle with no lights going, so they are just as guilty and could of caused death or injury themselves.
Damn straight. THAT was outrageous.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:12 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,921 Likes on 4,807 Posts

Originally Posted by Rad22
I think that if you are caught street racing, your car should be confiscated. No further discussion. That would put an end to it.

There is a huge difference between slightly exceeding the speed limit or "getting on it" when you are in a safe location (not in the city, not on a residential street, not with other cars around and not when there are uncontrolled sidestreets or the possibility of hitting a pedestrian as well as other considerations) and lining up with another car for a race.

By definition when street racing, both drivers are concentrating only on accelerating as fast as possible, potentially reaching very high rates of speed, probably in close quarters with attention diverted from what is happening outside their own car other than what the competitor is doing. They are concentrating on shift points, wheelspin control, and possibly controlling fishtailing.

How anyone could support, condone or tacitly defend street racing is just stupefying.
Typical soapbox preacher knows what is right for everyone according to your standards. Look at the video big deal, anybody hurt, any damage. Street racing is fun and yes can be dangerous depending on many things but most of the time it is harmless, when compared to people texting while driving.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:47 AM
Jack Be Quick Racing
Pro

Location: Detroit area and Nashville area What day is it? Between MI & TN
Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

Amen.

You want iron fist control over your driving habits and everyone else's - stop buying Corvettes and go get yourself one of the new Ford's that are being piloted that 'reads' speed limit signs and prevents the driver from exceeding it. You know, like how many of the semi trucks are speed limited now to not go over 56 mph. Oh, how so many of you must long for the days when self driving private and government nanny cars take over from us reckless fools. Dang, I almost didn't buy a Corvette because of all the data the on-board computer and OnStar get - THAT is too much government / private knowledge into my personal life for me!

Take it the track... Yes, a good idea, however, that is not the only answer. I am still young enough to remember what American rebellion and freedom is like and to appreciate it. Old enough to know when not to endanger others with my fun. Independent enough that I don't need the government telling me exactly what to do, how to do, when to do it, and if I am having fun or not.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:18 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Street racing has been going on since there have been cars.And now it seems like the Horse Power race is on between manufactures.I'm not going to lie.I've been there done that.
Safety is A big factor.You can't just race anywhere.Thers is A time and place for everything.
Do I race now?I haven't in awhile.Would I? Maybe under the right conditions.A controlled
Invironment.Never during the day in A busy area.The less people the better.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:25 AM
bapd77
Safety Car

Received 418 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Beach
Stored electronic information! Unless the driver gave permission for the officer to take the sd card there could be problems.

Search and seizure of items in vehicles is very different from that of a residence. Warrants are rarely ever required for seizure of evidence in a vehicle due to their mobility and expectation of privacy etc. See Carroll vs. US I believe. Officers routinely seize evidence incident to arrest from vehicles without warrants. Its a very common practice and has been upheld by the US Supreme Court.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:05 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Rad22
Yes, in fact you do sound that way.

They had apparently started from a light one city block away and ran our light. We were just pulling into the intersection after the light turned green for us and were nearly hit in the middle of the intersection as they roared past at probably 75-80 mph, at about 11 pm downtown as we were coming home from a concert.

Beyond that, your comment is astounding. There are plenty of cases where it may not be possible to stop during a yellow light. Two jackasses taking off before their light turns green is illegal, stupid and life-threatening in many cases. Even though my case didn't happen as you described, you imply that it would have been partially my fault. The ignorance astounds.

Really? Another one of these? Uhm... No. Look at your original post. You state that they jumped the light. Jumping the light vs blowing through one at high speed are two very different things. This is Comp 101 stuff. Put a little more effort into your descriptions and we won't have this problem.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:40 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

From your initial response:

Street racing...ie: head-to-head competition on a public street is dangerous, criminal, stupid and beyond bad judgement or being "caught up in the moment". I have no sympathy for anyone charged with the crime, up to and including having their car confiscated and serving jail time. In my opinion it's equivalent to driving totally intoxicated...maybe worse.

From your follow-up response:

There is a huge difference between slightly exceeding the speed limit or "getting on it" when you are in a safe location (not in the city, not on a residential street, not with other cars around and not when there are uncontrolled sidestreets or the possibility of hitting a pedestrian as well as other considerations) and lining up with another car for a race.

So again, I acknowledge (and respect) your viewpoint and expressed opinion in regards to "Street Racing". But you seem to contradict yourself with your follow-up response in regard to street racing and when it is acceptible if: "in a safe location."

Again, as long as the conditions meet what you define above as "the huge difference", then what I am understanding is that "slightly exceeding the limit" or "getting on it" is acceptible as long as your conditions of X, Y, and Z are met?

If it is not on an approved track (regardless of meeting or exceeding your defined criteria above for "a safe location"), is it not still considered street racing?
Old 03-28-2015, 04:25 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

This appears to have taken place during the TX2K15 event held annually in Houston. Besides the sponsor organized competition events held at closed course venues the masses from all over the country descend upon the Houston and gather in huge crowds usually at a host hotel and nearby areas. From there it's like something in a made up for Hollywood movie (ala Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift) with hundreds of street races going on all over the city. Total Insanity.

http://tx2k.com/

Old 03-28-2015, 05:40 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
Typical soapbox preacher knows what is right for everyone according to your standards. Look at the video big deal, anybody hurt, any damage. Street racing is fun and yes can be dangerous depending on many things but most of the time it is harmless, when compared to people texting while driving.

Three Corvettes take off from a light nobody in front of them. What is the big deal? 100mph in a C5-6- or 7 Corvette is like doing 40 in another car? Buy a Prius if you can't handle it!!!
Old 03-28-2015, 05:50 PM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
If it is not on an approved track (regardless of meeting or exceeding your defined criteria above for "a safe location"), is it not still considered street racing?
No. Simple concept here. Not competing=not racing.

Will I engage in spirited driving on an open road in the country with no traffic and enjoy my car? Yes, I have done so and will continue.

Will I line up with another car on a public thoroughfare and race through the city at deadly speeds? Never.

I was called a soapbox preacher by someone above, saying I know what's right for everyone. Well I don't...not in all cases. But in this case, it's just plain common sense, I am right. Head to head speed competition with another car on a public street is dangerous, criminal and just plain stupid.

If you don't believe me, go to the State Prison in Raleigh, NC and ask the teenage punk who killed a young mom, her infant daughter and the 13 year old babysitter she was driving home, when he broadsided them at 90 mph (on a quiet residential street with little traffic and a 35 mph speed limit) while racing a 30-something competitor. You've got time. He's going to be there for several more years. My guess is that he doesn't think it's ok anymore.

Last edited by Rad22; 03-28-2015 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:43 PM
OLD_GOAT
Drifting

Received 396 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Lacoven
Then the cops exceed 100 in an unmarked vehicle with no lights going, so they are just as guilty and could of caused death or injury themselves.
There's no way I can agree with this.

If they get caught, they're going to get pulled over some way or another. What would be safer, catching up to them in a Vette, or chasing them down in a 2010 Crown Victoria, Charger, or a top heavy Tahoe?

The cops are guilty of nothing and a chase in one of the normal cop cars could also cause death or injury.

Instead of trying to find excuses for the cops chasing them down, why not put the blame where it belongs.....to the street racers.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:10 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,921 Likes on 4,807 Posts

Originally Posted by OLD_GOAT
There's no way I can agree with this.

If they get caught, they're going to get pulled over some way or another. What would be safer, catching up to them in a Vette, or chasing them down in a 2010 Crown Victoria, Charger, or a top heavy Tahoe?

The cops are guilty of nothing and a chase in one of the normal cop cars could also cause death or injury.

Instead of trying to find excuses for the cops chasing them down, why not put the blame where it belongs.....to the street racers.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:26 PM
WV Vette
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just have your PDR data streamed to Hillary Clinton's server and not a trace will ever be found.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:41 PM
imxz28
Drifting

Received 454 Likes on 174 Posts

Exactly, the undercover cop was in part bait... and was driving a Corvette themselves.

Originally Posted by Operations
Do you have a link?
I cant seem to find them, although I prefer the biscuits and gravy flavor available in the eatable undies dept.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:37 AM
Movie Muscle
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Luckily no charges were laid for bad haircuts.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:38 AM
JameyTurner
Too Much Fun
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 180 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by red2012
Yea exactly. Every body else that's bitch n in this thread about street racing just stay home and wax your car for your Sunday morning cars and coffee meet and don't forget to drive 15 mph getting there with your Starbucks coffee in your non steering hand.
Starbucks? Yeah right are you kidding me? Some of these 100% law abiding citizens are gonna have their hands properly placed at the 10 and 2 position unless they have a 3rd hand they can't drink coffee and drive!

Racing on the highway....bad and dangerous yep....do we do it....yep! Is it smart nope? But if you read the statistics it is not the most dangerous thing in the world. Will it ever stop nope! Approximately 150 deaths per year from street racing and this average has remained about the same for yearsssss. Texting while driving is related to about 6000 deaths per year and is increasing year after year! Hmmmm maybe that is why every state has a huge campaign against texting and driving and also being ticketed. If caught street racing yes you are facing some heavy fines (and a small possibility of crashing and dying but this can happen at the track as well AND OTHERS ARE IN DANGER AT A TRACK ALSO). NOBODY follows the laws 100% of the time while driving I see it every day whether it is changing lanes without signaling, running red lights, speeding, headlight or tail light out, texting and driving, reading paper/book and driving, putting on makeup and driving, racing on the street, illegal u-turns, drunk driving, too many lane changes within a certain distance (yes this is illegal ask me how i know), and many more. If 1 person on here says they drive and obey 100% of the laws 100% of the time well nothing I can do for somebody that lies to themself! Everybody is guilty of something and you are putting others at danger around you when you are doing any of the things I mentioned and things I didn't. Yeah it is easy to point the finger and say "them damn street racers are gonna kill somebody...." but guess what "you damn speeders, makeup putter oners while driving, etc etc are gonna kill somebody as well..."! So look in the mirror before you start getting all pissy about 1 illegal subject when you are guilty of at least 1 thing while driving as well! And if you are that person that follows every single driving law to a T then my hats off to you & I bet you are some piece of work!

I have now put my soap box away!
Old 03-30-2015, 06:53 PM
drs
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 278 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
My apologies if I sound like an a$$, but if you were nearly hit by street racers jumping a stop light then you were probably running a deep yellow. Yellow means stop if possible.
Not anywhere around here. And not just street racers. Anybody and everybody.... Yellow light means "gun it to beat the Red". There is a significant risk being in the intersection when the opposing lanes have a Yellow (or even slightly after the Yellow has changed to Red).

Get notified of new replies

To Arrests for Corvette owners in Street Racing Sting in Houston - PDR used as evidence?

Old 03-30-2015, 07:23 PM
MarcusAmick
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Page News!

Got a quote from the Sheriff's office about the sting operation...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...street-racers/
Old 03-31-2015, 12:37 AM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

1. So in order to not get a traffic citation as a passenger, I have to jump out of a speeding car and risk killing myself because, I get cited the same as the driver!? What kind of drunken barnyard logic is that?

2. I like when the cop says "Anyone that participates in any way" but doesn't arrest himself for speeding and endangering lives just the same as the racers. I find it dumb as f*c% that cops can endanger lives in order to "protect" lives.

-Alex
Old 03-31-2015, 08:37 AM
360Lemans
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by WV Vette
Just have your PDR data streamed to Hillary Clinton's server and not a trace will ever be found.
right on!!

Quick Reply: Arrests for Corvette owners in Street Racing Sting in Houston - PDR used as evidence?