C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arrests for Corvette owners in Street Racing Sting in Houston - PDR used as evidence?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 09:22 AM
bapd77
Safety Car

Received 418 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
I find cops hilarious.
And this prob rings true in your life when dealing with them..you can substitute Facebook for forums/internet:

Old 04-01-2015, 10:12 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Originally Posted by bapd77
And this prob rings true in your life when dealing with them..you can substitute Facebook for forums/internet:

Right, we are all so fearful of the men in blue..
Old 04-01-2015, 12:55 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC

Yeah, it sucks for them....but how many of us really buy a Corvette or invest $$$ simply for car shows and posted limit cruises and not once ever testing some sort of performance limits out on the streets? I got it....."Take it to the track", but the track isn't always a convenience.
Strangely...it seems many on this forum. I'd venture to guess many of the guys making the most noise are old fuddy-duddy's that can hardly crack a smile anymore.

I don't engage in or condone street racing either but sheesh.

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
Quite the change of opinion expressed in your initial response quoting my response. I guess if street racers meet acceptible conditions X, Y, and Z you describe above, it's okay?

Sorry. But you just lost credibility Sir.

Typical soapbox preacher knows what is right for everyone according to your standards.

Originally Posted by Jack Be Quick Racing
Amen.

You want iron fist control over your driving habits and everyone else's - stop buying Corvettes and go get yourself one of the new Ford's that are being piloted that 'reads' speed limit signs and prevents the driver from exceeding it. Oh, how so many of you must long for the days when self driving private and government nanny cars take over from us reckless fools. I am still young enough to remember what American rebellion and freedom is like and to appreciate it. Old enough to know when not to endanger others with my fun. Independent enough that I don't need the government telling me exactly what to do, how to do, when to do it, and if I am having fun or not.

Originally Posted by Rad22
I agree. However your argument will go nowhere on this thread.
And your holier-than-thou soapbox ranting is going nowhere either...aside from making my head hurt.

There is a time and place to get on it...a time and place where you can do it against another car mildly, generally-safely and without endangering the public.

If in one sentence you're basically saying we shouldn't enjoy our sports cars in that manner...and the next you're saying hey, it's ok, then you're just ranting (and apparently like to whine and complain).

Blatant street racing, especially under the wrong conditions and in the wrong location is absolutely moronic. I agree, however the way you deliver yourself makes you seem like this guy;

Old 04-01-2015, 03:21 PM
U8 DU5T
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
Well U8 DU5t, you got that wrong because you don't understand what "Cognitive Distraction" is. You should check out his link to educate yourself: http://www.fnal.gov/pub/traffic_safe...ing%203-10.pdf

IN PART:

Hands-free devices often are seen as a solution to the risks of driver distraction because they help eliminate two obvious risks – visual, looking away from the road and manual, removing your hands off of the steering wheel. However, a third type of distraction can occur when using cell phones while driving – cognitive, taking your mind off the road.

Hands-free devices do not eliminate cognitive distraction.

The amount of exposure to each risk is key. Crashes are a function of the severity of each risk and how often the risk occurs. Most people can recognize when they are visually or mechanically distracted and seek to disengage from these activities as quickly as possible. However, people typically do not realize when they are cognitively distracted, such as taking part in a phone conversation; therefore, the risk lasts much, much longer. This likely explains why researchers have not been able to find a safety benefit to hands-free phone conversations.
The National Safety Council has compiled more than 30 research studies and reports by scientists around the world that used a variety of research methods, to compare driver performance with handheld and hands-free phones. All of these studies show hands-free phones offer no safety benefit when driving (Appendix A). Conversation occurs on both handheld and hands-free phones. The cognitive distraction from paying attention to conversation – from listening and responding to a disembodied voice – contributes to numerous driving impairments. Specific driving risks are discussed in detail later in this paper. First, let us look at why hands-free and handheld cell phone conversations can impair your driving ability.

Hands-free devices offer no safety benefit when driving.

Hands-free devices do not eliminate cognitive distraction.
So people are cognitively distracted, such as taking part in a phone conversation but not when having a conversation with a passenger? We should ban talking of any kind in cars.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:45 PM
bapd77
Safety Car

Received 418 Likes on 194 Posts

No you just probably act like a tough guy on here like so many others. But im glad it makes you feel special.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:15 PM
bbjwho
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Although a police officer can search a suspects car and seize evidence without a search warrant, they could not review the contents of the memory card without a warrant. The US Supreme Court ruled unanimously last year that a search of electronic devices requires a warrant. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/26/us...vacy.html?_r=0

Although in this situation, an officer would be easily be able to articulate the probable cause based on his observations and obtain a warrant, it would still take time and effort.

Many local law enforcement officers may know about the warrant requirement, and the average public defender may not challenge it.

In this instance, i believe the officers were the one making the PDR recording. There are no warramt issues there. There is no reasonable expectation of privacy on the open road, hence the recording does not violate the suspects 4th amendment rights. The officers being recorded in the background are consenting parties to the recording. One legal challenge the officers could face would be the certification of the accuracy of any data superimposed on the video (i.e. speed, location) if those data were pertinent to the charges. Of course, an expert witness subpoena to a Chevy engineer or Cosworth could address those concerns.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:19 PM
bbjwho
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
So is there a quick way to deleting the data, or should you pop the card out and eat it? I'm kidding, but this might be a case for the micro SD card to SD adaptor setup. You could literally pop the micro SD card out of the adapter and eat it. About the size of an MnM.
I tried to use an adaptor + micro sd card in my PDR and it wouldnt recognize any memory card as present. I had to use a regular sd card. Did the micro work in your PDR?
Old 04-01-2015, 10:19 PM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJB
Strangely...it seems many on this forum. I'd venture to guess many of the guys making the most noise are old fuddy-duddy's that can hardly crack a smile anymore.

I don't engage in or condone street racing either but sheesh.

And your holier-than-thou soapbox ranting is going nowhere either...aside from making my head hurt.

There is a time and place to get on it...a time and place where you can do it against another car mildly, generally-safely and without endangering the public.

If in one sentence you're basically saying we shouldn't enjoy our sports cars in that manner...and the next you're saying hey, it's ok, then you're just ranting (and apparently like to whine and complain).

Blatant street racing, especially under the wrong conditions and in the wrong location is absolutely moronic. I agree, however the way you deliver yourself makes you seem like this guy;

Ranting makes you feel good doesn't it?
Old 04-02-2015, 07:25 AM
Mr Guns
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Considering cops have been known to plant drugs on innocent people, force cavity searches, and shoot people's dogs, I think we should all be a bit fearful.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:33 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Originally Posted by bapd77
No you just probably act like a tough guy on here like so many others. But im glad it makes you feel special.
I am glad being a Cop makes you feel so special. Many Cops do a great service and put their lives on the line, others join online forums and act like you.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:12 AM
hdcyril
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WV Vette
Just have your PDR data streamed to Hillary Clinton's server and not a trace will ever be found.
Great idea
Old 04-02-2015, 03:29 PM
droideka
Instructor

is anyone going to talk about the DOUCHE NOZZLES that were driving these cars?

it sucks when cars eventually become affordable for such trash. happened with the E46 M3, the B5 S4 and countless others. i guess with enough time, miles and depreciation, the C6Z can be purchased on a best buy salary.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:35 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Ranting makes you feel good doesn't it?
Seriously? You've been the one ranting like a hormonal queen...perhaps you should review your posts.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:01 PM
Mr Guns
Drifting

Originally Posted by droideka
is anyone going to talk about the DOUCHE NOZZLES that were driving these cars?

it sucks when cars eventually become affordable for such trash. happened with the E46 M3, the B5 S4 and countless others. i guess with enough time, miles and depreciation, the C6Z can be purchased on a best buy salary.
I don't think it's so much about affordability considering many of the cars in these street racing videos are UGR Gallardos, GTRs, TT Vipers, etc.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:04 PM
droideka
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr Guns
I don't think it's so much about affordability considering many of the cars in these street racing videos are UGR Gallardos, GTRs, TT Vipers, etc.
i thought this thread was focused on the corvettes stung in houston, no? i've seen the racing vids of the supercars, but i'm talking about these specific C6s and these specific owners.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:45 PM
OLD_GOAT
Drifting

Received 396 Likes on 169 Posts

I am glad being a Cop makes you feel so special. Many Cops do a great service and put their lives on the line, others join online forums and act like you.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:42 PM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJB
Seriously? You've been the one ranting like a hormonal queen...perhaps you should review your posts.
"...like a hormonal queen." Cute, really cute.

I just completed a complete and comprehensive review of my posts and I must admit...your problem is that you can't handle the truth.

Sorry.

Get notified of new replies

To Arrests for Corvette owners in Street Racing Sting in Houston - PDR used as evidence?

Old 04-02-2015, 10:46 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

"...like a hormonal queen." Cute, really cute.

I just completed a complete and comprehensive review of my posts and I must admit...your problem is that you can't handle the truth.

Sorry.
Nor can you...apparently.

No need to be sorry about it.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:37 AM
Mr Guns
Drifting

Originally Posted by droideka
i thought this thread was focused on the corvettes stung in houston, no? i've seen the racing vids of the supercars, but i'm talking about these specific C6s and these specific owners.
My point was that street racing isn't something that's limited to lower class / lower income individuals.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:02 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by bbjwho
I tried to use an adaptor + micro sd card in my PDR and it wouldnt recognize any memory card as present. I had to use a regular sd card. Did the micro work in your PDR?
I skipped the option and bought all the gear to add factory Nav. I've got an adapter and a 4gb micro sdcard laying around though. Maybe I'll try it in my dad's car once it gets back up here for the summer. I'd guess it would work but might be more picky about which cards work. Smaller sizes like 4 or 8 GB probably better odds.

Quick Reply: Arrests for Corvette owners in Street Racing Sting in Houston - PDR used as evidence?