C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are certain colors more prone to orange peel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 11:46 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
I was at a local dealer killing time looking at the 2 C7s in stock. The black one had orange peel so bad that even I, who normally can handle orange peel, was appalled. The shark grey one had orange peel but it appeared much less obvious.

I have a crystal red C7 on order and am getting a little nervous about orange peel after seeing the black car. Does orange peel appear more obvious on certain colors and less on others? My real question is how obvious is orange peel on crystal red??? Does this color show orange peel more easily than say shark grey or another color?
I would think CR would show orange peel similar to the SG car you saw. I saw a CR in a parking lot last fall and looked it over a little. Didn't see anything notable about the paint other than it looked good. Of all the things I ocd over, orange peel isn't really one of them though, so results may vary.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:59 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
not totally.......why?

Because other GM cars are sprayed perfectly! including cheaper models... I put pics of a new Malibu here a few weeks ago that was made in Detroit and had perfect paint ( perfect when compared to any vette)

no it's something in BG that's wrong, either its the type of plastic, or a failed paint step/operation at BG...

and GM OP is worse that many others that have to able by the new rules...My guess is the real fix is too expensive to implement.
But what I don't understand is what is different in the process for the C7 that was absent with the C6?????? The paint on my CRM '08 was flawless and I won several show trophies (being a Callaway didn't hurt) but remain very disappointed in the overall finish quality of my NRB C7. I get the idea GM is not very driven to address this because of the immense popularity (and sales) of the C7...
Old 03-29-2015, 12:51 PM
Cobraboy
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JRYELLOWCORVETTE
who the heck would leave a C7 outside baking in the sun 24/7 ??? No Corvette will orange peal if it is taken care of.
Don't know if this is supposed to be a joke or not.

1) it is "peel", not "peal"

2) the sun doesn't shine 24/7 anywhere on earth

3) you obviously have no idea what orange peel is and shouldn't be posting
Old 03-29-2015, 06:00 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Someone wrote that the "plastic" on the C7 is different then the C6. The results are obvious. It was mentioned that Yellow was getting a second coat of primer.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:13 PM
C7DriverOnt
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

I have a Crystal Red, yup noticeable orange peel but I'm not sure anyone but car aficionados notice. Get so many compliments on the car I just ignore the fact it's there now.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:21 PM
BIC
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I have looked at the paint on dozens of C7s over the last year or so. They all seem to have a similar amount of orange peel (OP). Some appear a little better or worse than others, but that may be due to different colors appearing different while the OP in the clear coat is actually the same.

I consider the OP on my DSOM to be average for a C7. I don't like it, but it's not a big deal. I also consider it average for most cars on the market. I saw a new Aston Martin DB9 in a gas station. I took a close look at the white paint. The OP was similar to the C7. That's a $200,000 car.

It's certainly not anything I would sand off clear coat for. That clear coat is protecting your base paint. I'd rather have some minor OP than thin out my paint. If I was buying used and knew the clear coat was sanded down, think I'd pass.

Last edited by BIC; 03-29-2015 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:43 PM
KaKruisin
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been reading these orange peel threads for the last year and a half, so decided to do some comparison. My brother in law and I looked at our cars very carefully then went to the International Auto Show here in Phoenix - all makes and models, all clean and polished and under the same bright lights. We found all cars have orange peel! MB, BMW, Lexus, etc. were all about the same as the C7. The only car make that stood out as better was the new Bentleys. I came away feeling that my C7 (AW) was on par with other premium cars, although many cars and trucks were comparable.

My C4 (RubyRed), C5 (TR), C6 (VY) all are about the same as the C7 when I have them lined up in the garage. I have another dozen cars - all with some degree of orange peel except for one with an expensive custom paint job. The reality is that some orange peel is normal.

That said, in all these threads there have certainly been very real examples of cars that are below average, and some that needed to be corrected.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:11 AM
Raiderh20boy
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 279 Likes on 191 Posts

I have a 2010 HHR CGM that has OP and also a 2014 Sierra that has OP. Both a slight bit more than my 2014 CGM coupe. Also have a 2012 CTS coupe in a similar shade of grey as my HHR and 2014 coupe that I would say is flawless.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:19 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Originally Posted by JRYELLOWCORVETTE
who the heck would leave a C7 outside baking in the sun 24/7 ??? No Corvette will orange peal if it is taken care of.
uhhhh, huh?

Orange peel is caused by excessive clear coat application. Nothing to do with the sun. 24x7 sun baking? huh?
Old 03-30-2015, 12:28 AM
BIC
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by KaKruisin
I have been reading these orange peel threads for the last year and a half, so decided to do some comparison. My brother in law and I looked at our cars very carefully then went to the International Auto Show here in Phoenix - all makes and models, all clean and polished and under the same bright lights. We found all cars have orange peel! MB, BMW, Lexus, etc. were all about the same as the C7. The only car make that stood out as better was the new Bentleys. I came away feeling that my C7 (AW) was on par with other premium cars, although many cars and trucks were comparable.

My C4 (RubyRed), C5 (TR), C6 (VY) all are about the same as the C7 when I have them lined up in the garage. I have another dozen cars - all with some degree of orange peel except for one with an expensive custom paint job. The reality is that some orange peel is normal.

That said, in all these threads there have certainly been very real examples of cars that are below average, and some that needed to be corrected.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:19 AM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcticC7
I have white and I have very slight orange peel what I would consider normal for a modern car. I have also seen some cars with atrocious amounts of O/P that left me wondering how that mess ever left Bowling Green that way.

My black 2015 C7 is atrocious and I too wonder what they look for and reject as each car on the assembly line goes under the fluorescent lights
Old 03-30-2015, 09:29 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
The orange peel is in the clear coat, so the color of the car only determines the degree that the orange peel is visible.

This makes sense.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:29 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

The worst colors for orange peel tend to be the solid colors. Every black and torch red I have seen has it really bad. I have seen a few silvers and while it is still there to some degree it is not as noticeable. GM really needs to get their head around this problem because I have seen less expensive cars that they sell that have flawless finishes. There is something going on at the factory that needs to be addressed.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:45 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by beepster
But what I don't understand is what is different in the process for the C7 that was absent with the C6?????? The paint on my CRM '08 was flawless and I won several show trophies (being a Callaway didn't hurt) but remain very disappointed in the overall finish quality of my NRB C7. I get the idea GM is not very driven to address this because of the immense popularity (and sales) of the C7...
My NRB C7 has a really nice paint job, compared to some, mine is perfect. Unfortunately I like to drive my car and the blemishes continue to number. Heck, on the first outing I got a small stone mark on the front end, now I have stopped counting. Fortunately NRB does not show blemishes like some colors.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:43 AM
Runaway89
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had been reading all the posts about the orange peel before I ordered my 15 coupe. They helped me make my color choice. DSOM with natural orange peel effect. GM didn't even charge me extra for the orange peel.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:47 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

Yes, every car made has orange peel, even the million dollar cars.

THATS NOT THE POINT. Go look at 20-30 c7’s, not just your car. The point is the many c7's are WORSE than others, even cheaper chevys made in the us.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:56 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by Glen e
Yes, every car made has orange peel, even the million dollar cars.

THATS NOT THE POINT. Go look at 20-30 c7’s, not just your car. The point is the many c7's are WORSE than others, even cheaper chevys made in the us.
A bit disconcerting that GM would allow one of its Halo Cars, all made in the same plant, to exhibit some of the worst orange peel of any of its makes. I wonder if the Plant Manager is aware of how his customers feel about their cars? Would this be an appropriate topic for the April Bash? Who is in charge of QC at the plant?

Get notified of new replies

To Are certain colors more prone to orange peel?

Old 03-30-2015, 01:19 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
A bit disconcerting that GM would allow one of its Halo Cars, all made in the same plant, to exhibit some of the worst orange peel of any of its makes. I wonder if the Plant Manager is aware of how his customers feel about their cars? Would this be an appropriate topic for the April Bash? Who is in charge of QC at the plant?
it was discussed heavily last year at the NCM bash with the execs. The owners were told "we are aware, and steps are being taken"

well, apparently the talks there were not enuf, here we are a year later with the plant still putting out a good paint job, and then next car has lousy paint.

jag even made special trip to the execs to talk about it....notice the date of this post:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-petition.html

Last edited by Glen e; 03-30-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:29 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by C7DriverOnt
I have a Crystal Red, yup noticeable orange peel but I'm not sure anyone but car aficionados notice. Get so many compliments on the car I just ignore the fact it's there now.
I also have crystal red and with that.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:40 PM
VINDIC8R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
I was at a local dealer killing time looking at the 2 C7s in stock. The black one had orange peel so bad that even I, who normally can handle orange peel, was appalled. The shark grey one had orange peel but it appeared much less obvious.

I have a crystal red C7 on order and am getting a little nervous about orange peel after seeing the black car. Does orange peel appear more obvious on certain colors and less on others? My real question is how obvious is orange peel on crystal red??? Does this color show orange peel more easily than say shark grey or another color?
My 2015 is Crystal Red Tintcoat and there is a LOT of orange peel. My car was built in December 2014. I have no idea if temp and humidity play any part in the amount orange peel.

Quick Reply: Are certain colors more prone to orange peel?