Sponsored by:

High Beams

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 02:31 PM
DavePowell
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
Default High Beams

I had wondered when I read in the sales description of the car that both high and low beams used the HID lamps like the low beam in the C6. I was surprised because HID lamps take some time to come on and there is an elaborate sequence, handled by the ballast, to start them. This would make a problem with flash to pass.

I now have the 2014 service manuals and have spent hours learning about the car. One thing is that there are no high beam lamps, just a single HID lamp on each side, powered by the "Low Beam" fuses. I'd seen the "High Beam" fuses, but it turns out they power solenoids that drive shutters to cover the top of the projected light. I watched in my garage and flashed the high beams as the lights projected on a white wall. Doing this you can see what the shutter does.

Incidentally, HID lamps require several hundred volts to strike the arc, and current limiting, as they draw more current and the voltage comes down. The color changes during startup, and Chevy makes no guarantee the sides will match.

Over fifteen pounds of information... I have a lot more to read.

Dave
Old 03-29-2015, 02:52 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

They're awesome headlights.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:25 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Well, I have not noticed a color difference on mine, they work fine. I do hope they will last a long time.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:30 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by davidspowell@twc.com
I was surprised because HID lamps take some time to come on and there is an elaborate sequence, handled by the ballast, to start them. This would make a problem with flash to pass.
Actually, technically, stand-alone HID high beams aren't legal in the US. Highs need to power on immediately in order to pass a certain FMVSS test, and HIDs can't do it. However, as you found out...

I'd seen the "High Beam" fuses, but it turns out they power solenoids that drive shutters to cover the top of the projected light.
It's the same bi-Xenon lamp design that luxury and up-level sports car makers have been using for years. For instance: Caddy has them in the previous-gen CTS. Porsche has had them in their 911s for over a decade or more. They're a great idea and were sorely missing in the C6 when it came out. The C6's halogen high beams are garbage compared to what a good set of bi-Xenons can produce.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:37 PM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Actually, technically, stand-alone HID high beams aren't legal in the US. Highs need to power on immediately in order to pass a certain FMVSS test, and HIDs can't do it. However, as you found out...

It's the same bi-Xenon lamp design that luxury and up-level sports car makers have been using for years. For instance: Caddy has them in the previous-gen CTS. Porsche has had them in their 911s for over a decade or more. They're a great idea and were sorely missing in the C6 when it came out. The C6's halogen high beams are garbage compared to what a good set of bi-Xenons can produce.

Get notified of new replies

To High Beams

Quick Reply: High Beams