Sponsored by:

Test Drive?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 10:45 PM
alanancy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Test Drive?

I called a dealer today to test drive a 2014 or 2015. Salesman said he had a 2014, when I said I wanted to take the drive with my wife he said this was not allowed by their insurance company. I told him I had my own insurance and this was not a problem when I bought my 2008 at a different dealer. Have things changed or did I just call a bad dealer?
Old 03-31-2015, 10:53 PM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Test Drive?

Likely policies differ from dealer to dealer. Try a different one or speak directly to the manager and see if he'll make an exception. If they think you'll buy, they'll likely let you do it.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:56 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 502 Likes on 347 Posts

this was the norm in 2014 due to their scarcity but now most large dealers have them in stock so things have loosened up a bit
Old 03-31-2015, 10:56 PM
alanancy
Racer

Will do! Thanks!
Old 03-31-2015, 11:46 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,303 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I agree - talk to the Sales Manager and if he still sticks to the no test drive line, find another dealer.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:26 AM
fireinv38
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Go to the dealer and have the salesman go with each of you for a test drive. This is not brain surgery. Their insurance might not allow going without a representative. My wife had no interest in going for a ride. If yor serious about buying be a little flexible. I have Had Vettes since 1966, it is a great car. Had many test drives.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:30 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Depending on you location (can't see it in my tablet) you might consider renting one. That's what I did. Rented a convertible in Vegas last fall. Get mine Thursday I think. If I'm serious about a car I think is is the way to go. Don't have the distraction of a salivating salesman and you can spend hours getting familiar. If you don't like the car you don't have to deal with follow up calls from the dealer.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:40 AM
oyealiz
Team Owner

Received 232 Likes on 119 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'16

A friend and I went to the dealer in March, 2014. They gave us the keys (keyfobs ha!), and we drove two different c7s. It must vary by dealer.

Good luck!
Old 04-01-2015, 01:27 AM
dannyz51
Cruising

I'm 20 and they let me test drive one lol
Old 04-01-2015, 07:17 AM
pjitty
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

I test drove at Kerbecks prior to purchase. Actually the Salesman begged me to take the drive. Just sayin...
Old 04-01-2015, 08:05 AM
sailgunner
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I started looking last fall some of the dealers around here in Florida would not allow a test drive. I found one that would but before I went there I stopped at another dealer. They would not allow a test drive until I told them I was going to one down the road that would. After a quick check with the sales manager the salesman came back and said they would take both the auto and manual out of the showroom and let me drive them. I tried to negotiate a deal with the dealer but they would only come of list by $2K. I subsequently when to Hendricks in KC and got one for $6,700 off MSRP.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:23 AM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by alanancy
I called a dealer today to test drive a 2014 or 2015. Salesman said he had a 2014, when I said I wanted to take the drive with my wife he said this was not allowed by their insurance company. I told him I had my own insurance and this was not a problem when I bought my 2008 at a different dealer. Have things changed or did I just call a bad dealer?
I'm going to defend the dealer just a bit. Our insurance company will cover customers on a test drive provided there is a company employee/salesperson accompanying the customer on the drive.

For most vehicles, this is not an issue, the salesperson jumps in the back seat. On a Corvette, obviously, there's no back seat!

We allow customers to take a test drive with one of our reps riding shotgun. If there's a husband and wife, we'll take each on separately. However, our insurance won't cover us if something happens and the couple is out on their own.

Dave
America's Corvette Dealership

email - dsalvatore@cioccadealerships.com
Showroom - 609-344-2100. Ext 1022
Text - 856-535-0407

Follow Ciocca Corvette on Instagram!

Old 04-01-2015, 08:47 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by bbrown450
this was the norm in 2014 due to their scarcity but now most large dealers have them in stock so things have loosened up a bit
This is my 4th Vette and have driven performance cars since I was 17 (built that one; a ’41 Ford coupe that I stuffed in an Olds engine!) Up until recently they could sell all the C7's they could get. Understood why a “test drive” was not allowed, particularly very early when all cars received were “customer cars.” I also wonder why some folks insist on a test drive! Can understand the wife wanting to see how it rides, however if she’s expecting a Cadillac ride, she’ll be disappointed! Can see being allowed to sit in a dealer owned car in a showroom to see if you and she can get in and out (she probably will also not be happy, mine isn’t and hasn't been with any of my Vettes!) However to see how a Vette “handles” means pushing it somewhere near its limits; slamming on the brakes and being pulled against the seat belts, etc! Not something a dealer is willing to have you do so they ride along! In fact if they do allow you to drive by yourself, not a place I’d by a Vette with test drive miles!
When I picked up my C7, the 1st week in October 2013 at Rick Hendrick in Cary NC, it was in the showroom on display; it had arrived the morning before. When my wife and I walked into the showroom a salesman had a customer and was describing the car. His customer asked to sit in it. Neither had any idea it was my car, ordered several months before they were being built! The salesman said, no this is a customer’s car, we are not allowed to let anyone sit in it! Appreciated their respect for “my car.” Great dealer!

Last edited by JerryU; 04-01-2015 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:58 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,928 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Originally Posted by alienranch
Likely policies differ from dealer to dealer. Try a different one or speak directly to the manager and see if he'll make an exception. If they think you'll buy, they'll likely let you do it.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:19 AM
sailgunner
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I did the test drive with the reluctant dealer he then just let us have the car. So my wife and I took it out. Guess different dealers have different policies.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:47 AM
Hand Eye 8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alienranch

It depends on the dealer. I've dealt with this before. I go to the same dealer for all new cars, and the my salesman is a personal friend of mine, so I don't have any problem getting test drives. I would never abuse it because of my respect for him.

I had went to other dealers to look at a 2013 Camaro ZL1 and they had the car locked with the windows up in the showroom. All the Corvette's and Camaro's were locked with the windows up. I'm sure they wouldn't have let me drive it. I'm sure it doesn't help that I look like I'm 18. I was 27 when I bought my 2013 Camaro. You would think I would get some respect when I pulled up in my CTS Coupe. Yes, it was my car.

When I went out of state to look at my ZR1. They handed me the keys, but made me sign a disclosure that said the dealer wasn't responsible and that I was responsible if anything happened on the test drive. I don't have a problem with that if the salesman doesn't go with you.

Still, if your interested, and your serious about buying a car, they should let you drive it. I understand that the dealer doesn't want miles on the car, but they should order demo cars for people to drive. I think that might solve the test driving dilemma. Maybe order a demo Manual C7 and a Auto C7. Just a suggestion.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:50 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

When I bought mine, my wife and I test drove it independently from each other. I never really questioned the fact that the salesman had to go with. I would think that the insurance answer is legitimate.

So test drive it, buy it, and enjoy plenty of drives with the wife!!

Get notified of new replies

To Test Drive?

Old 04-01-2015, 09:59 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Many moons ago when I got my 96 TA, my brother and I test drove it with a salesman riding in the back. That guy is probably still visiting the chiropractor.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:36 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com

We allow customers to take a test drive with one of our reps riding shotgun. If there's a husband and wife, we'll take each on separately. However, our insurance won't cover us if something happens and the couple is out on their own.

Dave

I understand you wanting the Wifey to ride in the car. I wouldn't buy one without my Wifey's blessings after she took a ride. If this is the car you want Dave's remedy may be the way to go if you trust the sales guy her in the car. Or as other have said, try another dealer.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:55 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
I'm going to defend the dealer just a bit. Our insurance company will cover customers on a test drive provided there is a company employee/salesperson accompanying the customer on the drive.

For most vehicles, this is not an issue, the salesperson jumps in the back seat. On a Corvette, obviously, there's no back seat!

Dave
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Since I bought from you (Amoni) and had the car shipped, I didn't get a test drive. I test drove one at a local dealership before I talked with you.

Quick Reply: Test Drive?