C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally getting to drive her with over 40* temps, anyone else get really annoyed at..

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 01:39 PM
SharkGrayStingray
Drifting

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Finally getting to drive her with over 40* temps, anyone else get really annoyed at..

the flaps opening and closing of the AFM going from 8-4 cylinder and back???? A8, Non-npp with radio off, all i hear is the air flow "swoosh" when the flaps open and close, its so annoying!!!! all i want to hear are the corsa xtremes purr, but can't get past the annoyingness. I know i can use the paddles, and i do, but sometimes i want to just cruise...

Also hate that i don't get the burble at decel like in my C6... Knitpicking, i know, but i don't want disable the AFM with my diablosport...

PS anyone also feel the A8 shifts way too soon? With the stock tune, its in 5th gear by 35-40 mph. 8th gear by 55-60!! When i hit the gas (not flooring it) i feel like it bogs down all the time.

Last edited by SharkGrayStingray; 04-01-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:49 PM
lottavettes
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SharkGrayStingray
the flaps opening and closing of the AFM going from 8-4 cylinder and back???? A8, Non-npp with radio off, all i hear is the air flow "swoosh" when the flaps open and close, its so annoying!!!! all i want to hear are the corsa xtremes purr, but can't get past the annoyingness. I know i can use the paddles, and i do, but sometimes i want to just cruise...

Also hate that i don't get the burble at decel like in my C6... Knitpicking, i know, but i don't want disable the AFM with my diablosport...

PS anyone also feel the A8 shifts way too soon? With the stock tune, its in 5th gear by 35-40 mph. 8th gear by 55-60!! When i hit the gas (not flooring it) i feel like it bogs down all the time.
What bothers me most is downshifting with the paddles. It revs way high before each shift down. Don't even do it anymore.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:54 PM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I have NPP stock exhaust so I cannot comment on the AFM thing, I never ever notice mine switch. It's probably because your mufflers are so loud you can hear it a lot more than a stock car.

The reason the A8 shifts like that is for fuel economy, if you want it to hold each gear longer use the paddles. I really don't even notice which gear mine is in I just let the (very sophisticated) transmission do it's job. If you "just want to cruise" why do you care what gear the car is in? Just enjoy the drive.

If you hit the gas and you feel like your C7 "bogs down" it's probably broken or you must be used to a VERY fast car. My last car was a supercharged 5.0 Mustang that made over 900hp and the Stingray still feels peppy cruising around and has great midrange torque.

How many miles are on your car? I know some A8 owners complain that the transmission acts funky until they have several hundred miles on it, the adaptive stuff takes a bit to learn everything.
10mm_
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by lottavettes
What bothers me most is downshifting with the paddles. It revs way high before each shift down. Don't even do it anymore.
The computer is rev matching for you and it bothers you?
Glen e
Race Director

Received 912 Likes on 476 Posts
Tech Contributor

http://www.autoanything.com/performa...FUwV7AodalgAoQ
Old 04-01-2015, 02:55 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

You can buy a Range Technology Active Fuel Management Disable Device ($200) that will disable AMF without resorting to doing a tune.

One advantage to the MN7 - no AFM unless in ECO mode.

Edit: This is what Glen e linked to.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:08 PM
SharkGrayStingray
Drifting

I think the rev matching is why I don't get the burble on decel like the C6. The matching itself doesn't really bother me, the lack of butble does

I think you're right about the aftermarket exhaust making the swoosh of the valve opening more dominant.

My car has only 410 miles so far, maybe that's why like you said.

I have the intune (won't use it till about 1500 miles on her) to disable AFM, but don't think I want to disable. I'm sure I'll get used to it, just wanted to see if anyone else had the same OCD issues as me...

PS. I don't want to sound like I'm whining with this thread, I'm not! I love the car and just have a couple of quirks to work out. All of my annoyances can be taken care of like mentioned earlier. Just wanted to see if any others noticed them as well
Old 04-01-2015, 03:16 PM
Gamoto
Pro

Received 242 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by 10mm_
The computer is rev matching for you and it bothers you?
The A8 does not have rev matching when down shifting. Just a normal torque converter like any other auto trans. Only the M7 has actual rev matching.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:23 PM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Gamoto
The A8 does not have rev matching when down shifting. Just a normal torque converter like any other auto trans. Only the M7 has actual rev matching.
You're missing my point, the semantics of calling it rev matching or not calling it rev matching aside, the A8 will rev itself up in preparation of a paddle induced downshift, it doesn't just shift down and engine brake.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:45 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

I hated those burbbles and pops on my C6 so I had them tuned out. It would be nice if GM allowed the owner to disable AFM just like us M7 drivers can do simply by never entering ECO mode.

I thought it only went to V4 mode in ECO and when in 7th but I was playing around and mine went into V4 mode in 5th.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:54 PM
SharkGrayStingray
Drifting

You're missing my point, the semantics of calling it rev matching or not calling it rev matching aside, the A8 will rev itself up in preparation of a paddle induced downshift, it doesn't just shift down and engine brake.
i knew what you meant even though its technically not called rev matching.

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
I hated those burbbles and pops on my C6 so I had them tuned out. It would be nice if GM allowed the owner to disable AFM just like us M7 drivers can do simply by never entering ECO mode.

I thought it only went to V4 mode in ECO and when in 7th but I was playing around and mine went into V4 mode in 5th.

OMG the burble was music to my ears with my C6!!!
Old 04-01-2015, 04:02 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

I know I'm in the minority on that one
Old 04-01-2015, 04:12 PM
C7Lugnuts
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was annoyed with the AFM kicking in on my A6 so I DID disable it with my Diablo Intune.

Why don't you want to use your Diablosport?

I also like the more responsive throttle feel when stepping on the pedal while cruising. It's a BIG improvement that adds to my C7 driving enjoyment.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:16 PM
vettekat2007
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

My car will lurch forward momentarily just as the revs ramp up when downshifting. I find this very annoying.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:25 PM
SharkGrayStingray
Drifting

Originally Posted by C7Lugnuts
I was annoyed with the AFM kicking in on my A6 so I DID disable it with my Diablo Intune.

Why don't you want to use your Diablosport?

I also like the more responsive throttle feel when stepping on the pedal while cruising. It's a BIG improvement that adds to my C7 driving enjoyment.

I don't want to use the intune just yet cause i only have 400 miles on her. I think ill wait a few hundred more miles or so, but even when i tune it, i don't think i want to disable the AFM. I like the fact of the gas milage with AFM, its just the sound of the air rushing thru as the valve opens thats annoying. I may disable, just not sure yet
Old 04-02-2015, 07:17 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy

One advantage to the MN7 - no AFM unless in ECO mode.
One of the reasons I went that way.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:29 AM
Dave O
Melting Slicks

Received 1,412 Likes on 625 Posts

I don't want to use the intune just yet cause i only have 400 miles on her. I think ill wait a few hundred more miles or so, but even when i tune it, i don't think i want to disable the AFM. I like the fact of the gas milage with AFM, its just the sound of the air rushing thru as the valve opens thats annoying. I may disable, just not sure yet
Others who have disabled AFM have stated that they really didn't see much change in MPG after disabling. It will be one of the first things I do when mine arrives.

Get notified of new replies

To Finally getting to drive her with over 40* temps, anyone else get really annoyed at..

Old 04-02-2015, 09:36 AM
kjsooner
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with you SharkGrayStingray. I miss the gurgling from my C6 too! Also hate the AFM in my A6 constantly going to 4 cylinder mode when I let off the throttle. I'm not going to tune it out though because I'm going to trade in on a manual Z06 when the '16's come out.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:21 AM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

i knew what you meant even though its technically not called rev matching.

OMG the burble was music to my ears with my C6!!!
That's what I meant by semantics.

Also when the engine rpms are sharply increased in anticipation of a downshift that is exactly rev matching. You can call it whatever you want but the A8's computer does in fact rev the engine, to help match the rpm's to the next gear selection.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:23 AM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by vettekat2007
My car will lurch forward momentarily just as the revs ramp up when downshifting. I find this very annoying.
What RPM's do you feel that at? Are you touching the brakes at all? I find mind to be fairly smooth but I don't usually engine brake it super hard and I'm often at least leaning on the brake pedal under decel.

Quick Reply: Finally getting to drive her with over 40* temps, anyone else get really annoyed at..