Sponsored by:

Reliable Transport to be avoided at all costs

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 01:08 AM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
This is crazy! Almost 6 weeks waiting for a truck to show up? Goes to show what I know as I thought Reliable was one of the more "reliable" carriers. Man, I feel your pain. I sure hope you can cancel and get your car on a truck headed west real soon.
YIKES!!!!!!!!
Reliable shouldn't be pulling that crap on you or any other customer!

Last edited by Crossed Flags Fan; 04-02-2015 at 01:10 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:10 AM
Shortimer
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd be very upset if it happened to me. If you used a credit card, give your card company a call and let them know you have NOT gotten any goods or service on this transaction and want to cancel the charge. They will ask if the charge has appeared on your latest statement. If it has you should be able to cancel it completely. If it hasn't they will ask you to wait until it does. If that's the case ask them to start a claim anyway. They should be able to do that to get the ball rolling.
No way should you be waiting this long. That "work with us" crap is total BS. Drop these people like a hot rock.
Let us know how it all works out.

Last edited by Shortimer; 04-02-2015 at 01:12 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:22 AM
GiannaP
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plycar

Used them on a Three separate occasions........ GREAT SERVICE!!!!
Old 04-02-2015, 09:34 AM
FredC7
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 158 Likes on 64 Posts

Default Delays with transporters

I think you should have been told up front when to expect it to be picked up and your credit card should not have been charged until it was picked up. I have had Intercity Lines pick up or deliver about a dozen times to my home in the past few years and they are always up front about ETA's and pick up dates.

I shipped my 73 XKE last year from New Bedford, MA to Sandy, UT after selling it on Ebay. I encouraged the buyer to use Intercity Lines and he was told that it could be a month before they could pick up the car. There were several big auctions going on during that time and some big car shows so most of their large fleet was booked as were most of the other big carrier companies. He understood the reasons for the delay and was very happy with Intercity Lines.

You have to understand that these big companies do not want to travel with partial loads across the country so they try to schedule pick ups and deliveries to maximize the number of cars being transported. Some times you just have to wait until they have a truck in your area for the pick up and other pick ups along the route both ways. It costs $2,000 to ship coast to coast on a reputable large enclosed carrier. They certainly are not going to pick up just one vehicle and travel 3,000 miles with just that vehicle for $2,000. They would go broke. Even the transporters at Bowling Green have to leave the factory with full loads so they have to schedule the drop offs along a route to maximize their profits.

You could have used a small carrier company or someone with a single car hauler but sometimes you get what you pay for and even the little guys have to try to have a load in both directions so they are not dead-heading with an empty trailer. I don't think you would be nearly as upset if you had been told in advance that it might take 5-6 weeks before they could do a pick up. Then you may have decided to shop around or just pick it up yourself.

Good luck with your new C7.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:41 AM
HighTeq
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by beachcomber
I'll pay for my own plane ticket to drive it to you!
Argg, I've been undercut...
Old 04-02-2015, 11:57 AM
KustomsbyKev
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts

I've had several vehicles shipped from different carriers and every time I've been quoted "about" 3-4 weeks. Reliable delivered my ZO6 and it took 4 weeks to get the car from the time I placed the order. Sounds like they weren't very up front with you, but they wait till they have a full truck before they will deliver. Besides the long wait, I was very pleased with the service and care I got from Reliable.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:37 PM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default At Last, Good News

Good News: Reliable just called and they have found a truck to pick the car up today or tomorrow morning at the latest!

Called Kerbeck to advise them it would be today or tomorrow morning at the latest and they said they would have to have at least 90 minutes notice before the car can be picked up. My response: Isn't that what I'm doing right now? Please get the car ready.

I've previously told Dave that the car was supposed to be picked up this week so it should be ready. It was paid for more than month ago, licensed and titled for a few weeks ago (I have the title), fully insured, etc.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:51 PM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Some Clarifications

I bid Reliable, InterCity and Plycar. They all told me it would be 3 to 4 weeks for pick-up and could be as long as 2 weeks once picked up.

These companies were chosen based upon recommendations here and another forum.

Reliable Carriers was the least expensive bid but the spread from highest to lowest was less than $200.

I settled on Reliable and placed my Order February 18, which was the date they charged my credit card. I agree with others that they should not have hit the card until the car was picked up or just before pick-up to make sure the card would hold the charge.

I'm not a demanding customer. I was told there would be a wait, so I waited without contacting them further. I had a written contract. After 4 weeks with literally no word, I called Reliable and asked the status. They couldn't say except to say they had my order and would be scheduling a pick-up as soon as possible. The next week, I called again, and was more aggressive -- and I was told this week, and they would contact me with a date. Having heard nothing, I called yesterday and the rep admitted what he read in their computer didn't make sense, a pick up was set and cancelled and 'maybe next week'. You can imagine how that went over so I asked to speak to his boss. I got a guy at their HQ who was very nice, and skilled at handling pissed off customers (as am I). He gave me his name, ext # and told me to call on Friday (tomorrow) and would do what he could to get a pick up next week. I was livid, but at their mercy. Go to a new company, go to the back of the line. Having waited this long, I was not about to start over.

So today the guy I spoke to yesterday called me advising that he found a truck today to pick my car up.

With any luck -- and apparently I used all my luck up getting an A8 Z06 vert at all -- I will have the car sometime next week. Worse case, week after.

There are work reasons right now why I can't go get the car myself. When I orginally scheduled Reliable weather was the reason I wasn't picking it up myself.

Thank you everyone for the kind words, etc. I needed to vent and you were all great.

Last edited by dwward; 04-02-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:27 PM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Default The Happy Ending

On Tuesday, April 7, 2015, at 3 PM my Z06 was delivered.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:33 PM
Flying22low
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dwward

Beautiful Car!
Old 04-10-2015, 12:02 AM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

Congrats
Old 04-10-2015, 01:21 AM
zcobra1
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 52 Posts

Plycar all the way. Own trucks, drivers are employees.
My car never moved until delivery, no depots, no delays,
and no detours.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:18 AM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

my friend use them, everything went good. maybe bad luck
Old 04-10-2015, 07:08 AM
pastohio
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last summer, Reliable did not live up to their name for my request....I had the seller physically take it to the Reliable warehouse in Detroit, and they said a couple of days because I live near I-75, (most times their rigs are on I-75) then days became weeks, when you called they had to find the car and say they were working the car. Finally after three weeks (dispatch told me about 2 hours before delivery time) to travel 280 miles, it arrived and one wheel was scratched and they also wanted me to pay storage for the weeks it sat at their warehouse, IF you could get a straight answer from their dispatch when you call, you would then get someone else to handle the move AND/OR rent a car trailer and do it yourself...claim dept. never would call me back, I took care of the scratch...I think Reliable only wants corp. accounts and does not want to work with a car owner...my $.02
Old 04-10-2015, 12:10 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by OVERULD
Are you referring to Reliable Carriers (with the orange trucks)? If so, it may be a while. They have three huge auctions in April: Mecum in Kansas City and Houston plus Barrett Jackson in West Palm Beach. Most of their trucks are dedicated to those type big events - almost all of which happen in the first quarter. If you can cancel and get your money back you may be better off.
+1
Immediately thought same thing reading this and who the carrier is.
Not that they're bad, they're just really busy w/ the bread & butter of their business, the big auctions.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:15 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by dwward
Dayuum, a roadster to boot. Dressed beautifully.

Well worth the wait.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:02 PM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by pastohio
[sad story deleted for space]I took care of the scratch...I think Reliable only wants corp. accounts and does not want to work with a car owner...my $.02
Interesting thought, but for me they were the low bidder. Normally, someone who doesn't want your business will bid it high to be done with it.

The funny thing about my experience, was once they decided they had to deal with me, they were completely professional and fast and efficient. It was just getting them to put me in line that was maddening.

Last edited by dwward; 04-10-2015 at 09:04 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Reliable Transport to be avoided at all costs

Old 04-10-2015, 09:13 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Horseless Carriage is based right here in Northern NJ. If you're arranging for transport from Kerbeck, they're somewhat local. Just an FYI.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:05 AM
pastohio
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Landru, if Reliable wants their bread and butter, they also make good money on individual shipments, probably more per vehicle than the auction cars...plus individual cars are good "filler" in the shipment business...they also are probably going there anyway, I won't use them again, and I do ship cars, 2-3 a year...
Old 04-11-2015, 09:30 AM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Next time give Fed-Ex a try, and always pay with a Credit Card (it's almost free protection on purchases/services on anything 50+ miles away from your billing address.

Quick Reply: Reliable Transport to be avoided at all costs