Sponsored by:

Wax when!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 01:05 PM
skynest
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wax when!?

I have a new C7 on order. First one ever. I'm almost 60 so it has been a long time coming. All the new cars I have bought usually get a year of use before I wax. Then once a year after that. Well, this is something special, but I don't want to wax new paint too early. Is this still a concern? When is the best time for a first time wax job on a new Corvette?
Old 04-04-2015, 01:09 PM
beachcomber
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Those days of waiting to wax are gone, as are old school wax methods.

Glen will post up his write up he has that hundreds have done and if you follow the steps, the finished product is amazing.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:12 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 933 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

download, read twice and call me if you have questions:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/acxkaf44c...VlC5djtQa?dl=0

this is ONE WAY to do it.....but I guarantee you it's an easier method ,than the old ways of buffing off.....
Old 04-04-2015, 01:22 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I had mine about seven months before I went over it with a cleaner wax. (didn't have the time). I did use a quick detailer a few times prior. Probably use a quick detailer when the luster fades as previously. Some people go into great depth on paint preservation, you have to decide. I keep my C7 nice, purchased it to drive not show and maintain it more as a typical car.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:55 PM
JoeD-C8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Glen, thanks for spending the time to put together a care link. If this exists or has been suggested please let me know. Most other forums I have belonged to have separate detailing sub forums specifically for products and techniques etc. Products pop up on a weekly basis and would be helpful not only to see them but to get user feed backs. There might even be a retailer willing to moderate and offer group buys etc. Once again if I am just bringing up existing sub forum, my apologies.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:14 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by JoeD-C7
Glen, thanks for spending the time to put together a care link. If this exists or has been suggested please let me know. Most other forums I have belonged to have separate detailing sub forums specifically for products and techniques etc. Products pop up on a weekly basis and would be helpful not only to see them but to get user feed backs. There might even be a retailer willing to moderate and offer group buys etc. Once again if I am just bringing up existing sub forum, my apologies.
Yeah I know the sub forum is there....for years, this method is still the sticky in the Honda accord detailing forum, but newbies post here, I give them one possible solution. Also, the detailing forums usually end up in a fight as one person claims his method is the only method to use, and I don't care to joust about it.

You want to use another method, ok with me....
Old 04-04-2015, 02:16 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

30 days
Old 04-04-2015, 02:20 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by FKING1
30 days
you can do it as soon as you get the car...factory paint does not outgas...do a google search....has been that way for years....

ask yourself this...if it's 30 days, how come the corvette museum is detailing cars before they deliver it to you?
Old 04-04-2015, 02:24 PM
Rakkasan
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I take great pains to polish and seal my C7, so I found this thread particularly interesting. One area of concern is the topic of claying the car. I noticed it stated to use Dawn dishwashing detergent, and there is no way I'm going to use dishwashing detergent on any of my cars let alone my corvette.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:36 PM
skynest
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wax

Originally Posted by Glen e
download, read twice and call me if you have questions:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/acxkaf44c...VlC5djtQa?dl=0

this is ONE WAY to do it.....but I guarantee you it's an easier method ,than the old ways of buffing off.....

Thanks for the info!
Old 04-04-2015, 02:42 PM
JoeD-C8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Yeah I know the sub forum is there....for years, this method is still the sticky in the Honda accord detailing forum, but newbies post here, I give them one possible solution. Also, the detailing forums usually end up in a fight as one person claims his method is the only method to use, and I don't care to joust about it.

You want to use another method, ok with me....
Glen, actually didn't see the car car sub forum here. Should have looked further in to forum and spent more time. Totally new to this forum and to Corvettes, it just wasn't where I thought it would be and I see Auto Geek is a sponsor. All my questions have been answered. Again, I think it is great that you took the time to compile a comprehensive link guide, it does help.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:41 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,300 Likes on 13,973 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

you can do it as soon as you get the car...factory paint does not outgas...do a google search....has been that way for years....

ask yourself this...if it's 30 days, how come the corvette museum is detailing cars before they deliver it to you?
Absolutely no reason not to wax the car right away.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:49 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

The motor's not cooled off coming home when the "wax, sealant, polish" starts at my house.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:50 PM
JCar
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are many alternatives today. You can do wax (low longevity but some say has a look that polymers cannot match), sealants (medium levels of longevity) and finally there are coatings which are very hard, very thick (comparatively) and give the longest period of protection some three years or more especially if the car is garaged. You can choose the DIY route and get the goods at places like Autopia and Auto Geek who can supply your choices at great prices. You can also choose to have a professional detailed work on your car. They can perform services from wet sanding (to remove orange peel) followed by a coating product to proper polishing before a sealant or coating without the extreme measure of wet sanding. A wide spread of choices that can easily confuse those that don't take the time to actively keep up with changes in the industry. Glen e's suggestions are great for the DIYer who wants to spend more time driving and less time working on the finish. Great results with less effort and time spent. For even less time (but more money up front) a pro retailer can set your car's finish up for easy care and low ongoing maintenance effort on your part. Or you can be a nut job like me and put in much more time than my wife can imagine to keep the car pristine. Up to you!
Old 04-04-2015, 08:16 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by JCar
There are many alternatives today. You can do wax (low longevity but some say has a look that polymers cannot match), sealants (medium levels of longevity) and finally there are coatings which are very hard, very thick (comparatively) and give the longest period of protection some three years or more especially if the car is garaged. You can choose the DIY route and get the goods at places like Autopia and Auto Geek who can supply your choices at great prices. You can also choose to have a professional detailed work on your car. They can perform services from wet sanding (to remove orange peel) followed by a coating product to proper polishing before a sealant or coating without the extreme measure of wet sanding. A wide spread of choices that can easily confuse those that don't take the time to actively keep up with changes in the industry. Glen e's suggestions are great for the DIYer who wants to spend more time driving and less time working on the finish. Great results with less effort and time spent. For even less time (but more money up front) a pro retailer can set your car's finish up for easy care and low ongoing maintenance effort on your part. Or you can be a nut job like me and put in much more time than my wife can imagine to keep the car pristine. Up to you!
Well said.....
Old 04-04-2015, 08:45 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

If your not A waxing type person.Maybe try Cquartz finest.Supposely after treating your car with
It you won't ever need to wax your car.Well until 2-3 years when it wears off.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:32 PM
C2367
Drifting

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts

I never wax, just use one of those quick detail spray now and then. Did not wax the last C6 ever 4.5 years I owned and it look nice.

Get notified of new replies

To Wax when!?

Old 04-04-2015, 09:59 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Originally Posted by skynest
When is the best time for a first time wax job on a new Corvette?
Whenever you want... As already suggested, "wait time" is an antiquated notion. Paint is fully cured upon leaving the factory.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:54 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
The motor's not cooled off coming home when the "wax, sealant, polish" starts at my house.
I agree. I took Museum delivery then transported it to my detailer in an enclosed trailer where he performed paint correction, applied Expel Ultimate over much of the car and Weapon X side skirts and front splitter then usedOpticoat Pro. He then applied Optical Pro over the entire car/wheels. They then tinted the glass and all side and rear marker lenses along with blackening out the chrome grill retainer. The car looks good and cleans easily.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:54 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Rakkasan
I take great pains to polish and seal my C7, so I found this thread particularly interesting. One area of concern is the topic of claying the car. I noticed it stated to use Dawn dishwashing detergent, and there is no way I'm going to use dishwashing detergent on any of my cars let alone my corvette.
The idea is to use Dawn once, to strip off any old wax or sealants, so you start with a clean paint surface. Applying a sealant over old wax isn't going to accomplish what you want it to.

Quick Reply: Wax when!?