C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ron Fellows at Spring Mountain PDR FOOTAGE (Instructor PDR footage-page 2)!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 11:30 PM
11B250
Melting Slicks

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Looks fun, but question....

I see you never really stab the brakes. it appears you don't ever go over like 30% of brake power. why not use all available (or most of all available) braking power?
Old 04-08-2015, 06:51 PM
OldJedi
Drifting

Received 614 Likes on 336 Posts

Great video, thanks for sharing. My wife and I will both be taking the 2 day class May 4-5. Did they receive their new shipment of 2015 - A8's yet?
Old 04-08-2015, 07:40 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by OldJedi
Great video, thanks for sharing. My wife and I will both be taking the 2 day class May 4-5. Did they receive their new shipment of 2015 - A8's yet?
I just got off the phone with them since I have the class on Monday and I have requested a 2015 A8. They are still waiting on the 2015 A8. They also have to break them in before putting them on the track. Not sure if they will have them ready by early May.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:42 PM
HighTeq
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AliZ51
I just got off the phone with them since I have the class on Monday and I have requested a 2015 A8. They are still waiting on the 2015 A8. They also have to break them in before putting them on the track. Not sure if they will have them ready by early May.
Let us know if they have them when you go, I'm scheduled for April 30th and would really like one.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:04 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

I did a couple of Chevy events with the A6 on the track and honestly, unless you are a pro, the A6 works just fine. So I wouldn't worry about it. The only thing you lose is having the PDR on the 2015.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:25 PM
romaja
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Instructor Run-PDR footage!! Spring Mountain Motor Sports

I attended a recent class down at Spring Mountain Motor Sports. We rode with the instructors in the early AM. I hopped into the right seat of one of the instructors car that did not have a PDR installed so I could not use my SD card to record session.

Bummer!

One of the instructors offered to run the 2.6 mile again so I could bring home this impressive footage in a car equipped with a PDR. What a guy! He explained to that he toned it down a bit from max effort (10/10th's) to focus more on the correct line although it looks blazing fast compared to what I was able to achieve. He really dialed it in on the 2nd lap.

I received permission from SMMS to post this video.

Needless to say they are all very talented drivers.

Here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LwD...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-08-2015, 10:45 PM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by romaja
I attended a recent class down at Spring Mountain Motor Sports. We rode with the instructors in the early AM. I hopped into the right seat of one of the instructors car that did not have a PDR installed so I could not use my SD card to record session.

Bummer!

One of the instructors offered to run the 2.6 mile again so I could bring home this impressive footage in a car equipped with a PDR. What a guy! He explained to that he toned it down a bit from max effort (10/10th's) to focus more on the correct line although it looks blazing fast compared to what I was able to achieve. He really dialed it in on the 2nd lap.

I received permission from SMMS to post this video.

Needless to say they are all very talented drivers.

Here is the link:
It makes me wonder why he didn't use the rev matching feature. Thanks for sharing the video.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:47 PM
romaja
Racer

Originally Posted by 11B250
Looks fun, but question....

I see you never really stab the brakes. it appears you don't ever go over like 30% of brake power. why not use all available (or most of all available) braking power?
I was told the PDR footage is only showing pedal position/travel not percent/effort. Some one might know more about this to confirm.

That said. Coming down the back straight I am standing on the brakes and that is confirmed by watching the MPH indicator decrease rapidly from 120mph to 70ish in the video.

I just watched the instructor footage below and he is also only showing 2 red bars of braking at the end of the same back straight. He is carrying more speed down the straight than I.

In the actual car it throws you into your harness pretty good. I just use what ever is needed and try not to scrub off too much speed. They are very effective.

Have a look at the instructor lap below:

Old 04-08-2015, 10:54 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Romaja-I've merged your 2 threads together. Now your PDR and the Instructor lap are in the same thread.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:55 PM
romaja
Racer

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Romaja-I've merged your 2 threads together. Now your PDR and the Instructor lap are in the same thread.

Thank You!!!!
Old 04-09-2015, 12:18 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 358 Posts

Just returned from Spring Mountain where I attended a Ron fellows Performance Driving School. As always the staff was great and I throughly enjoyed it. I brought along a SD card. I though some of the forum members would to see some video from the Performance Data Recorder.

Enjoy!

Jim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HiD...ature=youtu.be
Nice to see you there. What a great week.

Conrad......
Old 04-09-2015, 01:38 AM
romaja
Racer

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
Nice to see you there. What a great week.

Conrad......
Conrad, great driving! You have some skills!
Nice to have met you.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:40 AM
Toxic Z
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=romaja;1589363584]
Originally Posted by Toxic Z

They allowed the rev match (ARM) and encouraged it in our class. If you are heel towing and happen to release the clutch w/o sufficient RPM's, you could upset the cars balance by snatching the rear tires and head for the weeds if you are at the limit of adhesion already. Although either way works great. Some won't use ARM early in the course but then use it the last day to concentrate more on hitting their marks and balancing the car, throttle steering, getting the car to point and head towards the apex, getting the fastest time, etc. I used it about half to time and really like it. It will let you know if your are over bliping the throttle or under bliping. I brake and shift the same way with it on or off.

I dont get much track time so when its on I can concentrate on other things and could practice the heel toe when I get home.

You will practice heel toe. Either way it will be your choice. To me, the ARM has a built in learning feature. When using it, I still blip the throttle but not enough as the ARM blips the throttle to a higher degree which tells me I need to give it more RPM.

I find generally that I am bliping the throttle to about 2500rpm in most cases and ARM brings it up to about 3500rpm.

For me, 3500 RPM works great as a general number for down shifting under hard braking with AFM off.

Have Fun!!

Thanks for your description. This will be my third time to Spring Mountain for driver instruction. However as you say the 'heel toe' technique requires lots of practice and getting the 'blip' wrong can have its effects on the progress of the car through the turn. However, practice does make perfect.

That being said, I am looking forward to seeing how the rev Match improves my performance.

Was that driving course in the vidwo the one that you used throughout your course? I recognize that particular course that they used the other times that I was there ... however, they have built additional tracks ... I have seen others use different varieties of that course..
Old 04-09-2015, 10:07 AM
romaja
Racer

[QUOTE=Toxic Z;1589378522]

Thanks for your description. This will be my third time to Spring Mountain for driver instruction. However as you say the 'heel toe' technique requires lots of practice and getting the 'blip' wrong can have its effects on the progress of the car through the turn. However, practice does make perfect.

That being said, I am looking forward to seeing how the rev Match improves my performance.

Was that driving course in the vidwo the one that you used throughout your course? I recognize that particular course that they used the other times that I was there ... however, they have built additional tracks ... I have seen others use different varieties of that course..
Yes, This was the driving course we used throughout. I ran this course last May when I attended but it has been lenthened to 2.6 miles. After turn 3 just past the chicane it is extended down to a bowl which is banked fairly steep so you can carry more speed. As you come out of that turn you go over a rise and onto turn 5a and 5B. Have fun!

Last edited by romaja; 04-09-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:33 PM
MarCorpsMustang
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Will be there June 5/6. Can't wait!
Old 04-12-2015, 11:57 PM
YLWFVR75
Le Mans Master

Received 185 Likes on 90 Posts
SE Michigan Coordinator
CI 3, 4, 5, 6, 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11,-'13-'14-'15
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I was just there last week April 6/7th doing the level one class. What a blast. Instructors were awesome. Rick, Richie, Paul, Jenny. Good group of people in the class too. Post up if you were in this group. Only had chance to meet one person from forum, Nick from Houston. Met some others but forgot to ask if they're on CF. Anyway. Great experience. Looking forward to going back for level 2 some day.

"Z"
Old 04-17-2015, 04:19 PM
Frank O'Hara
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Share your PDR file from Spring Mountain - Here's mine from April 8/9

Watching YouTube is great - but having a heads up race on Cosworth Toolbox is very cool.

I had a great time - well worth the money

Here's my last session PDR File - so others can compare using the Cosworth

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9albqox041...0010_.mp4?dl=0

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Ron Fellows at Spring Mountain PDR FOOTAGE (Instructor PDR footage-page 2)!

Old 05-22-2015, 05:23 PM
dbisc
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Is there a PDR in all of the Ron Fellow Cars?

I am headed to the school in June - I was going to bring a dash cam for my own recording - it sounds like I might not have to? Maybe only a memory card?

Are all the car equipped with a PDR?
Old 05-22-2015, 05:57 PM
Frank O'Hara
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dbisc
I am headed to the school in June - I was going to bring a dash cam for my own recording - it sounds like I might not have to? Maybe only a memory card?

Are all the car equipped with a PDR?
I think all the 2015's have PDR's - they said they were expecting 30 new 2015's this month. The fastest way to check for PDR's was to open the glove compartment from the passenger side. Then remember the car number since you change cars often
Old 05-23-2015, 01:08 AM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

I was told the PDR footage is only showing pedal position/travel not percent/effort. Some one might know more about this to confirm.

That said. Coming down the back straight I am standing on the brakes and that is confirmed by watching the MPH indicator decrease rapidly from 120mph to 70ish in the video.

I just watched the instructor footage below and he is also only showing 2 red bars of braking at the end of the same back straight. He is carrying more speed down the straight than I.

In the actual car it throws you into your harness pretty good. I just use what ever is needed and try not to scrub off too much speed. They are very effective.

Have a look at the instructor lap below:

Yes, there is something wrong with the brake indication, mine does it too. You only ever see one or two bars, no matter how much you brake. I hope the PDR software update fixes this too.

Quick Reply: Ron Fellows at Spring Mountain PDR FOOTAGE (Instructor PDR footage-page 2)!