Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird seat memory recall issue....

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 02:03 PM
managerman
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Weird seat memory recall issue....

The memory function on my '15 Z51 2LT seat/steering wheel settings has been working fine until today...I adjusted the seat settings slightly before I left for work and now when I go to start the car the memory settings don't engage. Nothing happens. When I hit the memory 1 button, the steering wheel moves a millimeter and then I keep having to hit the 1 button 20 times before all the settings are set. Sometimes holding the 1 button down will force the setting to completion.

I have read a couple of posts about making sure that the seats are not beyond their "limits", but that does not seem to be the issue.

I was thinking of "rebooting" the seat memory by pulling the appropriate fuse, or just "rebooting" the entire car by disconnecting the battery....and if that does not work, a trip to the dealer...

Any additional ideas?

Thanks in advance.

-M
Old 04-10-2015, 02:10 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

Did your "I adjusted the seat settings slightly" including setting the exit position further back? Or perhaps, tilting the seat more backwards? If so, you are probably hitting the rear bulkhead limit switch. Adjust your exit position so that your seat does not touch any part of the bulkhead behind the seat and see if that fixes your problem.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:14 PM
managerman
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Did your "I adjusted the seat settings slightly" including setting the exit position further back? Or perhaps, tilting the seat more backwards? If so, you are probably hitting the rear bulkhead limit switch. Adjust your exit position so that your seat does not touch any part of the bulkhead behind the seat and see if that fixes your problem.
I did not change the exit settings at all...Those continue to work normally when I turn the car off. I did adjust the seat slightly with various settings. I do not think I am hitting the limit switch, but I will sure check it again.

Thanks for the advice!

-M
Old 04-12-2015, 12:02 AM
JMcDon1007
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by managerman
The memory function on my '15 Z51 2LT seat/steering wheel settings has been working fine until today...I adjusted the seat settings slightly before I left for work and now when I go to start the car the memory settings don't engage. Nothing happens. When I hit the memory 1 button, the steering wheel moves a millimeter and then I keep having to hit the 1 button 20 times before all the settings are set. Sometimes holding the 1 button down will force the setting to completion.

I have read a couple of posts about making sure that the seats are not beyond their "limits", but that does not seem to be the issue.

I was thinking of "rebooting" the seat memory by pulling the appropriate fuse, or just "rebooting" the entire car by disconnecting the battery....and if that does not work, a trip to the dealer...

Any additional ideas?

Thanks in advance.

-M
Mine has been doing the exact same thing. I took it to dealer and they had it for 3 days, only to get it back with them giving me printed instructions and telling me there wasn't anything wrong.

Mine will go to the memory settings if I hold down the memory 1 button after starting the car, and goes into the exit position fine once shut off.

I've been meaning to take it back to the dealer but haven't found time yet.
If I find anything out, I will post here.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:13 AM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Did you guys grab the other FOB? I took my wife's (#2 FOB) one day and the seat acted up. I finally realized it was resetting to her presets.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:27 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Wow, this is kind of eerie - mine began doing exactly the same thing a couple of days ago. Switching fobs didn't help. Tonight I found out that when in the exit position, my seat was all the way back. I moved the seat forward about a half inch and reset the new position as the exit position. Problem solved.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:52 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,608 Likes on 6,621 Posts

Originally Posted by JMcDon1007
Mine has been doing the exact same thing. I took it to dealer and they had it for 3 days, only to get it back with them giving me printed instructions and telling me there wasn't anything wrong.

Mine will go to the memory settings if I hold down the memory 1 button after starting the car, and goes into the exit position fine once shut off.

I've been meaning to take it back to the dealer but haven't found time yet.
If I find anything out, I will post here.
If unlike the OP, yours always did the same thing and you have a standard shift, as GM likes to say, it is working as designed!
For whatever reason, for an M7 trans, whoever programed the seat memory in the C7 decided not to follow what worked great in the C6, i.e. one touch of the seat memory and the seat and wheel go into the memorized position. Instead, unless you start the car and with a standard shift that means depressing the clutch, which for many of us means the seat must be forward, you have to hold in the memory button!
I speculated (jokingly, but perhaps not) that they outsourced the software overseas and the person never drove a car! This is reinforced by the option of having the seat move forward when you open the door and with the patch devised in late 2014, which appears to me that person did not provide the proper source code because this alternate method is not like the C6, you have to hit the Start Key twice! Some folks like this “alternate method” but in the 1 ½ years since I have had my C7, M7 I have used a two hand multitask approach! While pulling the seat belt over to buckle with my right hand I push and hold my memory button with a finger on my left hand. Then depress the clutch and push the Start Button only once. Quicker way too start and it is easier to reach the belt to buckle when the seat is in the rear position. Works for me.
In October 2013 my dealer had no idea what the problem was and I credit the forum for defining the irrationality! Perhaps this info is a help for new 2015, M7 owners.

Last edited by JerryU; 04-12-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:38 PM
C7Lugnuts
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Wow, this is kind of eerie - mine began doing exactly the same thing a couple of days ago. Switching fobs didn't help. Tonight I found out that when in the exit position, my seat was all the way back. I moved the seat forward about a half inch and reset the new position as the exit position. Problem solved.
My A6 did the same thing within the first couple of months I had it then it went away.

Just a couple days ago it started happening again. I haven't changed any settings.

I hope it goes away again like it did last year. I will try mpuzach tip now. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:36 PM
tkbigsky
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just have got in the habit of moving the seat slightly forward after exiting. That moves the seat away from the sensors and everthing is fine. You also have the option of setting the memory to engage at door opening or start. Just fun quirks about the car that you learn to adapt to.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:22 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

When I hit the memory 1 button, the steering wheel moves a millimeter and then I keep having to hit the 1 button 20 times before all the settings are set. Sometimes holding the 1 button down will force the setting to completion.
From manual:
Attached Images  

Last edited by iclick; 04-12-2015 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:03 PM
chipsvette06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any additional ideas?

Thanks in advance.

-M
Why not just go to the Cute Ginger thread on auto recall and do what she says. Works every time things get a little off.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:06 PM
uwec86
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

Any additional ideas?

Thanks in advance.

-M
I've been having the same issue since I got mine: 2014 Corvette Z51, 3LT, triple black with Mag ride, dual exhaust, auto
Old 04-12-2015, 07:48 PM
Karlmiami
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chipsvette06
Why not just go to the Cute Ginger thread on auto recall and do what she says. Works every time things get a little off.
I tried the info in Cute Ginger's YouTube video. It worked great. You have to turn off the auto seat function in the settings, then set the seat memory, then turn the auto seat recall back on. The memory seat position has to be at least 1/2 inch from back wall.
I hope this works for you.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:56 PM
GeoV55
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
Did you guys grab the other FOB? I took my wife's (#2 FOB) one day and the seat acted up. I finally realized it was resetting to her presets.
I asked at delivery if the FOBs were recalled individually and was told they were not. Recall is based on the last position used.

I started with recall problem today after it worked fine for 2 days after delivery. I tried both FOBs still no go. I moved the seat up just a touch and reset the exit. Now everything working great again.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:27 PM
uwec86
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Karlmiami
I tried the info in Cute Ginger's YouTube video. It worked great. You have to turn off the auto seat function in the settings, then set the seat memory, then turn the auto seat recall back on. The memory seat position has to be at least 1/2 inch from back wall.
I hope this works for you.
Can you post a link to the video?

Thanks
Old 04-12-2015, 10:57 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
If unlike the OP, yours always did the same thing and you have a standard shift, as GM likes to say, it is working as designed!
For whatever reason, for an M7 trans, whoever programed the seat memory in the C7 decided not to follow what worked great in the C6, i.e. one touch of the seat memory and the seat and wheel go into the memorized position. Instead, unless you start the car and with a standard shift that means depressing the clutch, which for many of us means the seat must be forward, you have to hold in the memory button!
I speculated (jokingly, but perhaps not) that they outsourced the software overseas and the person never drove a car! This is reinforced by the option of having the seat move forward when you open the door and with the patch devised in late 2014, which appears to me that person did not provide the proper source code because this alternate method is not like the C6, you have to hit the Start Key twice! Some folks like this “alternate method” but in the 1 ½ years since I have had my C7, M7 I have used a two hand multitask approach! While pulling the seat belt over to buckle with my right hand I push and hold my memory button with a finger on my left hand. Then depress the clutch and push the Start Button only once. Quicker way too start and it is easier to reach the belt to buckle when the seat is in the rear position. Works for me.
In October 2013 my dealer had no idea what the problem was and I credit the forum for defining the irrationality! Perhaps this info is a help for new 2015, M7 owners.
Like you, I've gotten used to the "2 hand" method (seatbelt with left, holding memory "1" with right). For the life of me, I cannot understand why the car (M7) cannot be programed to return to the "driving" memory settings when you start the car. I am sure there's some stupid lawyer/safety reason why this can't be done, but I'll be dammed if I can think of it (my car has had the late 2014 seat "re-flash" which, IMO, was a waste of time).
Seriously, how hard can it be to: Get in the car, push the clutch in, start the car and the seat/steering wheel/mirrors move to their correct position. No question if this is the worst thing that happens to me, I'm golden....it's just a dumb way to have to use a "memory" function.

Jimmy
Old 04-12-2015, 11:17 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Like you, I've gotten used to the "2 hand" method (seatbelt with left, holding memory "1" with right). For the life of me, I cannot understand why the car (M7) cannot be programed to return to the "driving" memory settings when you start the car. I am sure there's some stupid lawyer/safety reason why this can't be done, but I'll be dammed if I can think of it (my car has had the late 2014 seat "re-flash" which, IMO, was a waste of time). Seriously, how hard can it be to: Get in the car, push the clutch in, start the car and the seat/steering wheel/mirrors move to their correct position. No question if this is the worst thing that happens to me, I'm golden....it's just a dumb way to have to use a "memory" function. Jimmy
The only problem is with the seat all the way back it's difficult to reach the clutch. So instead I push the start button while I fasten the seat belt. Push in the clutch, start the car and drive.

Get notified of new replies

To Weird seat memory recall issue....

Old 04-12-2015, 11:48 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,608 Likes on 6,621 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Like you, I've gotten used to the "2 hand" method (seatbelt with left, holding memory "1" with right). For the life of me, I cannot understand why the car (M7) cannot be programed to return to the "driving" memory settings when you start the car. I am sure there's some stupid lawyer/safety reason why this can't be done, but I'll be dammed if I can think of it (my car has had the late 2014 seat "re-flash" which, IMO, was a waste of time).
Seriously, how hard can it be to: Get in the car, push the clutch in, start the car and the seat/steering wheel/mirrors move to their correct position. No question if this is the worst thing that happens to me, I'm golden....it's just a dumb way to have to use a "memory" function.

Jimmy
Jimmy, I agree there is no logical reason that they had to change what they had for the standard shift C6! Other GM cars still use that method, i.e. one touch of the memory button without the car being started. Very early on I asked one of the GM Customer Service Folks that monitor the forums and they were told and I was quoted the GM, It’s working as designed! Either, as I joking said, the software was sourced overseas or whoever in GM wrote the specs goofed! The idea that it may have been outsourced to someone overseas who never drove a car is reinforced by the totally irrational “watch the seat return to the memory position of the key fob when you open the door!” That drove some folks crazy until they found, with the help of the Forum, you have to shut recall off (or whatever the proper word is in set-up!)
I agree the attempt to patch the issue with the alternate software was not what I thought was a “fix” so I didn’t bother, although some folks like it; to each his own.
Jerry
Old 04-13-2015, 12:24 AM
chipsvette06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uwec86
Can you post a link to the video?

Thanks
Just do a search for cute ginger. Her posts will be there
Old 04-13-2015, 06:21 AM
uwec86
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Only found cat videos

Quick Reply: Weird seat memory recall issue....