Sponsored by:

Automatic transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 05:13 PM
MMC7
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic transmission question

I am looking at a Z06 convertible to replace my Jag F type V8 coming off lease. I went to a dealer today, but they don't allow test drives.

2 questions:
1. Have others been allowed to test drive?
2. How does the auto compare to automated manual dual clutch transmissions in Ferrari, BMW, Porsche, etc.

I hate the old slush boxes that sound so "pathetic" when the gear changes. My jag is as fun as any dual clutch I have owned( it uses an 8 speed ZF)--in sport mode it is very fast and "violent" in a good way. In normal auto mode it shifts like any other auto in a typical car.

Does the Z06 auto blip on downshift? Is it more like the newer dual clutch systems than the old auto? I drove my brother's C5 with an auto and just hated it.

Thanks, maybe this has been covered, but I tried searching and didn't have much luck.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:29 PM
GeoV55
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MMC7
I am looking at a Z06 convertible to replace my Jag F type V8 coming off lease. I went to a dealer today, but they don't allow test drives.

2 questions:
1. Have others been allowed to test drive?
2. How does the auto compare to automated manual dual clutch transmissions in Ferrari, BMW, Porsche, etc.

I hate the old slush boxes that sound so "pathetic" when the gear changes. My jag is as fun as any dual clutch I have owned( it uses an 8 speed ZF)--in sport mode it is very fast and "violent" in a good way. In normal auto mode it shifts like any other auto in a typical car.

Does the Z06 auto blip on downshift? Is it more like the newer dual clutch systems than the old auto? I drove my brother's C5 with an auto and just hated it.

Thanks, maybe this has been covered, but I tried searching and didn't have much luck.
1. Around my area you will not get a test drive even if you could find a car to test drive. You need to find a high volume dealer.

2. Never owned a Ferrari or Porsche, my last BMW was 2009 the auto was ok but nothing to write home about compared to the A8.

The A8 shifts very fast and "violent" in a good way It does rev match when down shifting but under normal driving hardly noticeable. Under normal driving the shifts are still quick but very smooth.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:46 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The GM 8 speed is very similar to the ZF in its operation and has even faster shift times and a more advanced control system. If you were happy with the ZF in the Jag you will be happy with the A8 in the Corvette.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:49 PM
MMC7
Cruising

Originally Posted by GeoV55
1. Around my area you will not get a test drive even if you could find a car to test drive. You need to find a high volume dealer.

2. Never owned a Ferrari or Porsche, my last BMW was 2009 the auto was ok but nothing to write home about compared to the A8.

The A8 shifts very fast and "violent" in a good way It does rev match when down shifting but under normal driving hardly noticeable. Under normal driving the shifts are still quick but very smooth.
Thanks, that is very helpful. This is the sort of stuff that is a matter of taste, just like color and exhaust sound. Many people want "smooth" and others like it to feel more like a manual. In an Audi, the "R tronic" in the early R8's was much maligned for not being smooth. They came out with the S tronic and feels more like a standard torque converter and I prefer the older one. I have an Alfa 4C and that is about perfect. You feel the car shift gears even in auto mode and when you use the paddles you feel much more in control and it makes a lot of noise--really fun. I I don't want a 600+ HP beast of a car that shifts like an old ladies' buick.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:06 PM
Walt Wilson
Intermediate

I bought my Crystal Red Metallic '08 from a dealer in Milton, FL while on a trip to my sisters for Thanksgiving in 2007. Last November I took my wife to the same dealer to just look at the new C7. She was there to make sure that it was just to "look". Dealer, who remembered me, held out the key saying "here, take her for a ride". We got three miles down the road and Joanne turned to me saying "here's what we're going to do.... You sell Scooter (the red 96 C4) trade in Scarlette (the 08 C6) and we drive this home. All I could do was gulp and nod. Dealers listen up.... Handing me the key sold that dealer's C7.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:09 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If I don't drive, I don't buy.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:23 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,357 Likes on 785 Posts

It still has a torque converter and the auto will slip into 4 cylinder mode.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:58 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodson
It still has a torque converter
Yes, it does. Not sure why that's a bad thing if properly executed but everyone is entitled to their opinion.
and the auto will slip into 4 cylinder mode.
Easily rectified with a Range AFM.

I'll reiterate, If you are happy with the ZF 8 speed you will be perfectly happy with the Corvette 8 speed

The 8L90 takes all the good things about the ZF and puts a finer edge on it. Around town it's BETTER than the PDK and every bit it's match on the track but yes, when not in the track program manually initiated shifts have a bit more lag but it's still sharper than the ZF, which is pretty damn good.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:10 AM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

I do work for JLR, and have driven several F-Types (GREAT cars. And beautiful too), including the R coupe. I've driven all the variants (sc 6; 8, sc 8, r), and the transmissions are really good. That said, I have 500 miles on my C7 Z51 A8 and so far I would say that the A8 is as good as a trans. I had the A6 in my CTS-V and that was the Achilles heel of that car - great in every way except the A6 in that car was not up to the performance capability of the rest of the car. I wouldn't hesitate on the A8 at all.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:20 AM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by GMuffley
If I don't drive, I don't buy.

When I was looking for a new CTS-V a dealer in SLC (Steiner's - I'm going to call them out if anyone lives in the area) had what I wanted so I went with my wife to look at it with the intention of buying it. Talked with them, and they told me I couldn't test drive it unless I signed a document saying I would buy it. I pointed to my Maserati sitting outside the showroom and said I'm very interested and you can see I have the money, but how do I sign something saying I'll buy it before I know if I like it? They wouldn't budge. We walked. One month later we went to the local (Provo area) Cadillac/GMC/Buick dealer (Harmon's) to look at a new Denali for my wife. It just so happened that they had just received a new CTS-V with Recaro's (what I wanted) in the color I wanted. First time I had ever been to that dealer and they didn't know me (drove my Maserati in, and they had noticed that). Asked if I could test drive the V, and they said 'sure', got us the fob and said to have a good time. Came back, also looked at the Denali's, test drove one of them, and bought both. And I've purchased and/or leased 4 additional cars/suv's from them since (this happened in 2010). I understand that a dealer needs to protect from tire kickers, has insurance issues, etc. But any dealer that doesn't have the common sense to see that I'm serious (age, wife with me, driving in a really nice car, etc) doesn't deserve my business. Harmon's has all my new car business (except the C7) and my service business, including servicing my new C7 (they received approval from GM last week to service it for me).

Last edited by Hopper12; 04-16-2015 at 12:22 AM.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:45 AM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoV55

did your BMW have a DCT? probably not.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:46 AM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

I think GM has the shift speed fast enough, but the torque converted is what kills it.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:31 AM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

It won't sound like a dual clutch transmission although it performs as well and even shifts a little faster. You still can hear its an automatic when it shifts at normal driving speed. Once you get in the throttle it does sound less like an automatic.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:38 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

You won't find a lot of used, Z06, A8, convertibles. But that IS the route to go: find a used A8, probably a '15 Stingray (not Z06), and test drive it. Most likely at a new car dealer, or indie used car lot. Kinda not nice imo to test drive-only a private party's used car, but it does happen a lot! The one I rode in was very impressive. jmo.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:06 AM
ratman6161
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Hopper12

When I was looking for a new CTS-V a dealer in SLC (Steiner's - I'm going to call them out if anyone lives in the area) had what I wanted so I went with my wife to look at it with the intention of buying it. Talked with them, and they told me I couldn't test drive it unless I signed a document saying I would buy it. I pointed to my Maserati sitting outside the showroom and said I'm very interested and you can see I have the money, but how do I sign something saying I'll buy it before I know if I like it? They wouldn't budge. We walked. One month later we went to the local (Provo area) Cadillac/GMC/Buick dealer (Harmon's) to look at a new Denali for my wife. It just so happened that they had just received a new CTS-V with Recaro's (what I wanted) in the color I wanted. First time I had ever been to that dealer and they didn't know me (drove my Maserati in, and they had noticed that). Asked if I could test drive the V, and they said 'sure', got us the fob and said to have a good time. Came back, also looked at the Denali's, test drove one of them, and bought both. And I've purchased and/or leased 4 additional cars/suv's from them since (this happened in 2010). I understand that a dealer needs to protect from tire kickers, has insurance issues, etc. But any dealer that doesn't have the common sense to see that I'm serious (age, wife with me, driving in a really nice car, etc) doesn't deserve my business. Harmon's has all my new car business (except the C7) and my service business, including servicing my new C7 (they received approval from GM last week to service it for me).
At our local Chevy dealer, in order to do the test drive you first have to make the deal (and do the credit check) and shake hands on it. You stop short of signing the paperwork. Then you can test drive and still call it off if you decide to. For me though, there was no doubt whatsoever that I wanted the car so when the time came I just signed and drove it home.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:16 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by MMC7
Thanks, that is very helpful. This is the sort of stuff that is a matter of taste, just like color and exhaust sound. Many people want "smooth" and others like it to feel more like a manual. In an Audi, the "R tronic" in the early R8's was much maligned for not being smooth. They came out with the S tronic and feels more like a standard torque converter and I prefer the older one. I have an Alfa 4C and that is about perfect. You feel the car shift gears even in auto mode and when you use the paddles you feel much more in control and it makes a lot of noise--really fun. I I don't want a 600+ HP beast of a car that shifts like an old ladies' buick.
I'm more than happy with my A8 (non Z06 car). Do a little reading about the A8 and some people have indicated it is a little "wonky" when driven slowly (parking lot speeds) where braking and gas peddle switching is frequent. There is a ""flash fix" from GM uses to reset the transmission if it is a frequent occurrence.

I have had mine act up a couple of times, nothing I can't live with, but others do have some serious issues with it's behavior. There are a number of threads regarding this odd behavior.

Just go in completely informed so you won't have any surprises.

Cheers
Old 04-16-2015, 09:22 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

This video from Auto Bild provides a pretty good view of how well the 8L90 shifts. In the first speed run segment you can watch him paddle shift and see/hear the resultant shifts which are very fast, note he started the run in 2nd. The second run is done in full auto mode.

Get notified of new replies

To Automatic transmission question

Old 04-16-2015, 10:11 AM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Not sure where you live but rent one for a day. I flew to Phoenix and dropped $500 for one day in the sun with the top down. Rental rates have come down since.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:08 PM
MMC7
Cruising

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
Not sure where you live but rent one for a day. I flew to Phoenix and dropped $500 for one day in the sun with the top down. Rental rates have come down since.

Great info everyone--thanks!!
Sounds like it is very similar to the ZF in the F type and I am happy with that. There are occasions when it doesn't blip on downshift from 3rd to 2nd, but generally it is really good. I have owned dual clutch systems in Maserati, BMW, Audi and Alfa Romeo and it appears to depend on the newer systems vs the older and how they program them. Best fit is smooth when you want it to be and crazy fast, loud, violent when you want it to be. I like the rent suggestion. I will check it out.
Martin
Old 04-16-2015, 03:37 PM
Z06 1of38
Drifting

Received 677 Likes on 333 Posts

I wasn't too concerned with a test drive. I bought mine over the phone, the A8 trans does not disappoint.

Quick Reply: Automatic transmission question