C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble with pebbles

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 01:39 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,365 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
No rock chips in the front yet at 550 or so mi, but I have a couple in front of the rear tires. Not sure if I wanna spend the money on side skirts.
Originally Posted by JerryU

Need Side Skirts To Protect Rocker panels
Clear film also works and is much cheaper (although I have to admit I'm considering side skirts just for the look )
Old 04-18-2015, 01:47 PM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Love the Star Trek reference! But, a guy has to be at least what, 50, to get it?

Your tires will be fine.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:48 PM
doclex
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default why std on Z51?

Why not optional stickies for those who want to track their Z51 hard? Many Z51 owners will never push their car to the limits, having bought the Z51 package for greatly increase desirability and therefore increased value upon re-sale; at least that's what I'm counting on. The dealer tried to talk me out of the Z51 package because the way I would use the car most of the time. However, looking at past re-sale of Vettes you see that the more of the "restricted" add ons in terms of performance you have, the greater (exponential) increase in re-sale value. Chevy should do the right thing and give us the option.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:55 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,357 Likes on 785 Posts

Originally Posted by doclex
Why not optional stickies for those who want to track their Z51 hard? Many Z51 owners will never push their car to the limits, having bought the Z51 package for greatly increase desirability and therefore increased value upon re-sale; at least that's what I'm counting on. The dealer tried to talk me out of the Z51 package because the way I would use the car most of the time. However, looking at past re-sale of Vettes you see that the more of the "restricted" add ons in terms of performance you have, the greater (exponential) increase in re-sale value. Chevy should do the right thing and give us the option.
You're in the tiny minority. Most people buy what they want, not what the next guy wants.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:57 PM
AirWolf99
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy-hp
Love the Star Trek reference! But, a guy has to be at least what, 50, to get it?

Your tires will be fine.
Haha well I'm actually 29 myself, so you never know!! (My dad is a big star trek fan, so I'm well versed in the original series)
Old 04-19-2015, 12:51 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,605 Likes on 6,618 Posts

Originally Posted by doclex
Part of the problem with the low cost for the Z51 (only $2800 when I got mine in October 2013) is some folks who will never use its capabilities bought them! Then they complained they needed to use a watch to check the oil level (which you do) ; that the more performance oriented tires had more cold, slow speed tire chatter (and they were not willing to turn the wheel less and use a “K” turn when they were cold,) wanted all season tires not performance oriented rubber; that the brakes had a lot of dust and made noise unless you used them hard, at least to bed them in; that the oil took longer to get hot and making mostly 2 to 3 mile short trips is not enough to get it hot so oil changes will have to be made more frequently per the GM oil life monitor (not to mention it’s really not good for the engine) ; some thought the mag shocks were magic and made up for the stiffer springs, heavier front roll bar and added rear roll bar so set on Touring it was softer than the base car, which it is not!
At least GM offered the ZF1 for those who really only wanted the bigger wheels, tires and spoiler.

Last edited by JerryU; 04-19-2015 at 01:02 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:42 AM
rstrait
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I live on a tar and chip road. Every time I go down the road it sounds like driving on a freshly tar and chipped road with all the pebbles being flung off the tires hitting inside the wheel wells. I'm sure when I hit the heavily traveled main road I'm slinging pebbles stuck to the tires on following cars.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:14 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I started out thinking Z51 when the C7 was introduced. Not being able to test drive the model and the dry sump engine convinced me to order the base car. The idea was if I don't like it I will trade it off. I like it, and after hearing all the Z51's quirks will order another base suspension in the future. As for wheels and tires, nothing wrong with the OEMs that come standard, just yesterday I took a corner showing over 7.5 G's on the meter, no sweat.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:50 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Larry/car
I started out thinking Z51 when the C7 was introduced. Not being able to test drive the model and the dry sump engine convinced me to order the base car. The idea was if I don't like it I will trade it off. I like it, and after hearing all the Z51's quirks will order another base suspension in the future. As for wheels and tires, nothing wrong with the OEMs that come standard, just yesterday I took a corner showing over 7.5 G's on the meter, no sweat.
I’m sure you meant 0.75 “g’s.” Next goal is 0.8 then progressively up to near 1 "g", the base car can achieve that. Easiest to do in a tight turn!
I recall Mario Andretti’s comment when he was qualifying at Indy and a reporter asked if he was nervous going so fast. He said on my first lap of the season I am nervous at even 20 mph less! Then the next lap when my system says you can push it further I do, a few mph more at a time! Bet you’ll get close to 1 “g” as you try, it’s fun!
Old 04-19-2015, 10:26 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,357 Likes on 785 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
I’m sure you meant 0.75 “g’s.” Next goal is 0.8 then progressively up to near 1 "g", the base car can achieve that. Easiest to do in a tight turn!
I recall Mario Andretti’s comment when he was qualifying at Indy and a reporter asked if he was nervous going so fast. He said on my first lap of the season I am nervous at even 20 mph less! Then the next lap when my system says you can push it further I do, a few mph more at a time! Bet you’ll get close to 1 “g” as you try, it’s fun!
Larry has never red-lined his car. He has only "gotten on it " a couple of times. I only say this so the OP can disregard Larry's comments since he has no experience to back up those comments.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:40 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Woodson
Larry has never red-lined his car. He has only "gotten on it " a couple of times. I only say this so the OP can disregard Larry's comments since he has no experience to back up those comments.
I bet he’s got the bug! No need to red line to feel what a “g” is like!

Quick Reply: Trouble with pebbles