Sponsored by:

Trouble with pebbles

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 06:21 PM
AirWolf99
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble with pebbles

I'll pass over the fact that this title reminds me of an old Star Trek episode that shall not be named...

I've had my new c7 for almost a month now. The residential roads here in CT still have small gravel/pebbles on the streets leftover from winter that range from sand grains up to roughly eighth inch pebbles.

I've noticed that the larger of these pebbles have become lodged into the surface of my tires and are flush with the tire (see pictures below). I wouldn't think much of it but (1) this doesn't happen much on tires of other cars as far as I can tell and (2), some have created eighth inch divots in my tires which don't look good. I should add that there doesn't appear to be any cracking around the pebbles - they are just kind of 'mushed' in by the weight of the car.

Should I be worried? It seems hard
to believe a tire would be created that can't handle a bit of gravel here and there, but stranger things have happened...

Thanks,
Chris

Old 04-17-2015, 06:29 PM
chazam
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 100's of small divets from pebbles and have not had any tire problems. Seems pretty common on these summer tires.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:34 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by AirWolf99
I'll pass over the fact that this title reminds me of an old Star Trek episode that shall not be named...

I've had my new c7 for almost a month now. The residential roads here in CT still have small gravel/pebbles on the streets leftover from winter that range from sand grains up to roughly eighth inch pebbles.

I've noticed that the larger of these pebbles have become lodged into the surface of my tires and are flush with the tire (see pictures below). I wouldn't think much of it but (1) this doesn't happen much on tires of other cars as far as I can tell and (2), some have created eighth inch divots in my tires which don't look good. I should add that there doesn't appear to be any cracking around the pebbles - they are just kind of 'mushed' in by the weight of the car.

to believe a tire would be created that can't handle a bit of gravel here and there, but stranger things have happened...

Thanks,
Chris

Worried about what?
Old 04-17-2015, 06:44 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

Very soft compound especially when warmed to operating temperature. You should see how many Tribbles, ahem, pebbles get stuck in an F1 tire. Not a problem.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:51 PM
CdnC7
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I've noticed the same thing on mine ...

in addition, I have noticed that these tires pick up every single pebble, sand or particle on the road, and either absorb it or fling it at the body. I cringe every time I hear that inevitable noise of pebbles hitting the floor/rockers.

Driving down the road, if I see fresh soil/dirt on the ground from a new development or from truck tracks nearby a construction site, I almost always slow to a crawl if safe to do so, or change routes, and take another street.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:06 PM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

You need a phaser to zap them little buggers.

How about scrubbing your tires like race car drivers.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:09 PM
lancekl
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 46 Posts

With the taxes you pay in CT. they should sweep the streets every morning
Old 04-17-2015, 07:10 PM
AirWolf99
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone. Glad to hear this isnt likely to cause any problems.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:55 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,076 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Old 04-17-2015, 09:05 PM
traronf
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 93 Posts

I hear you.... The roads are a mess here in my Connectiuct town. I have wanted to drive my car more than I have but I have been waiting for a lot if these pebbles and rocks to get scattered off the road. I am having a clear film applied to my car next weekend and will feel a little better once that is done.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:02 PM
FLS2K
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 77 Posts

Totally normal. These tires get gooey when hot. I pulled a pebble off one of mine and a small string of gooey rubber actually came with it. Like pulling a nut off your hot-fudge sundae.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:02 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,307 Likes on 13,978 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Dang, those tires must be very soft and sticky. Hope the streets in your area get cleared from the pebbles soon.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:24 PM
Sharkbite 6870
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same exact pebble problem here in North Jersey. I even took my broom to the street at the end of my driveway to try and clean it up but it was a waste of time the entire way on the side streets is just a joke, and my street was paved last year!
When I make turns about 20% of the time the pebbles kick up from the front tires onto the hood and I cry, and a little of me dies with each pebble impact. Thankfully I don't have any chips yet I just can't believe it, this paint must be real thick and soft.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:32 PM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Received 1,005 Likes on 328 Posts

I'd only be worried for the person behind you. I have " thrown" tons of these at people who ride too close on my rear......
Old 04-17-2015, 11:16 PM
Bryan Wharton
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the same concern Chris. See my thread in Tech Performance named " C7 Z51 Tire Stone Drilling a problem?" (Sorry I don't know how to copy the link) but that was almost a year ago and I have managed to stay clear of really bad areas but still have to dig out the occasional stone when the wheels are off!
Keep an eye on it as the tyres are soft when warm and it is a potential problem.

The flip side is that the tires are grippy and hang like **** to a blanket!
Old 04-18-2015, 10:33 AM
billeee
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

With the road noise, hard ride, low temperature loss of traction, cold cracking, and collecting/throwing road debris, these tires are a PITA.

They should be optional on the non-track versions of the Corvette.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:03 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

I love pebbles

Get notified of new replies

To Trouble with pebbles

Old 04-18-2015, 01:17 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by billeee
With the road noise, hard ride, low temperature loss of traction, cold cracking, and collecting/throwing road debris, these tires are a PITA.

They should be optional on the non-track versions of the Corvette.
I've actually come around on this. I now agree that A/S should be standard on the base car with the summer performance tires as an option. The summer performance tires should still be standard on the Z51.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:19 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Yep, same thing here. Pebbles get stuck in the tires and make noises that sound like I have a nail in a tire. Then you dig em out and all is quiet again... for about 30 seconds when another one gets stuck somewhere.

No rock chips in the front yet at 550 or so mi, but I have a couple in front of the rear tires. Not sure if I wanna spend the money on side skirts.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:32 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

[QUOTE=AirWolf99;1589440612]I'll pass over the fact that this title reminds me of an old Star Trek episode that shall not be named...

I've had my new c7 for almost a month now. The residential roads here in CT still have small gravel/pebbles on the streets leftover from winter that range from sand grains up to roughly eighth inch pebbles. eighth inch divots in my tires which don't look good. I should add that there doesn't appear to be any cracking around the pebbles - they are just kind of 'mushed' in by the weight of the car.

Thanks,
Chris
QUOTE]

I have a dead end gravel road that ties into the one I live on and the few cars that go their drag small rocks onto our paved road. I’ve been having a similar problem but mine don’t stay long! They fly off when driving!
However a bigger problem is the ones from the front tires hit the GM plastic protection. Installed GM Splash Guards, which helped in the rear, but little help in the front! Installed CF side skirts that match my CF roof! Work like a charm! Stopped all rock problems and allowed me to remove the marked up GM plastic.

Need Side Skirts To Protect Rocker panels

Quick Reply: Trouble with pebbles