Sponsored by:

C7 Purchase Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 04:27 AM
VetteManJan
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C7 Purchase Dilemma

I had a 2010 Grand Sport/L3/Torch Red/Total Black Interior/Chrome Wheels. I chose this configuration because of the Bluetooth for telephone and heads up display (bifocals) and overall great looks. I sold it for personal financial reasons and now I'm ready to buy again. I live in San Diego County area,
(no weather concerns like LA) I have no intentions on going to the track on a regular basis. Possibly for only one time just to get the thrill of going over 75 miles an hour. I will be using this car is a daily driver. I wear bifocals and with the C6 the HUD was it a great help. With the C7 you can be "blind" and see the display with the correct setting. The car will be automatic. without the expesive NAV option or possibly get it...On Star with arrows and voice commands seems good and I have iPhone6 for backup. So I'm deciding between a Coupe L1 vs L2?? Torch Red vs Shark Grey (Torch was the most popular in 14, but I think Shark looks a bit better.) I will also have the Z F1 appearance package (same looks as Z51) with black wheels this time. I also understand and please correct me if I'm wrong that the Z51
gives a rougher ride. I have sat in both L1/2 and they seem about the same as far as seats except for heating which on high was not that noticable perhaps due to climate here. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Opps..also the new eight speed automatic transmission.. Sorry for leaving some issues out, that's what happens when you get old and 59...:-)

Sorry forgot: it will have performance of exhaust ..a must in my opinion

Last edited by VetteManJan; 04-18-2015 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Forgot
Old 04-18-2015, 04:43 AM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

I went with the ZF1 because I have no intention of racing the car, but if you do I would opt for the Z51. I also would pick the M7, as the A8 may have heat issues in a track environment, as has been mentioned in other threads. As for ride, I haven't driven a Z51 but don't recall hearing any complaints about the ride from owners. That said, the larger front and added rear sway bar, as well as recalibrated shocks, will affect the ride to some degree. How much is too much is subjective.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:57 AM
VetteManJan
8th Gear

Default Thanks

Forgot one more thing:

On my C6 the memory package never seemed to hold the seat setting that was set... it always seemed a bit off when recalled, is there any improvement on the C7 with the L2 package?
Old 04-18-2015, 05:58 AM
Sir Nuke
Drifting

Received 425 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteManJan
I had a 2010 Grand Sport/L3/Torch Red/Total Black Interior/Chrome Wheels. I chose this configuration because of the Bluetooth for telephone and heads up display (bifocals) and overall great looks. I sold it for personal financial reasons and now I'm ready to buy again. I live in San Diego County area,
(no weather concerns like LA) I have no intentions on going to the track on a regular basis. Possibly for only one time just to get the thrill of going over 75 miles an hour. I will be using this car is a daily driver. I wear bifocals and with the C6 the HUD was it a great help. With the C7 you can be "blind" and see the display with the correct setting. The car will be automatic. without the expesive NAV option or possibly get it...On Star with arrows and voice commands seems good and I have iPhone6 for backup. So I'm deciding between a Coupe L1 vs L2?? Torch Red vs Shark Grey (Torch was the most popular in 14, but I think Shark looks a bit better.) I will also have the Z F1 appearance package (same looks as Z51) with black wheels this time. I also understand and please correct me if I'm wrong that the Z51
gives a rougher ride. I have sat in both L1/2 and they seem about the same as far as seats except for heating which on high was not that noticable perhaps due to climate here. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Opps..also the new eight speed automatic transmission.. Sorry for leaving some issues out, that's what happens when you get old and 59...:-)

Forgot one more thing:

On my C6 the memory package never seemed to hold the seat setting that was set... it always seemed a bit off when recalled, is there any improvement on the C7 with the L2 package?
Vetterman......Personally....you would be MUCH happier with the 2LT. and here is why.....this is what comes standard with the 1LT.

The 1LT is the Stingray for Corvette purists who want the lightest car available and includes these unexpected features:
9-speaker Bose® audio system with 3-month trial subscription to SiriusXM Satellite Radio10
Three seat color options
Two 8-inch HD color displays
8-way power seats with leather surfaces
Power tilt and telescoping steering column
Keyless Access with Push-Button Start
7-speed manual transmission with Active Rev Matching and launch control
Rear vision camera
Body-color carbon-fiber removable roof panel
Carbon-fiber hood
Aluminum frame structure
Driver Mode Selector
Available Michelin® Pilot® Super Sport® ZP summer-only tires12 and Run Flat tires that are aggressively tuned to provide outstanding handling, grip and road-holding capability
NHID Zon lighting with LED park and turn signal lights
Bluetooth Phone connectivity
Available leather-wrapped steering wheel
Standard Brembo® brakes
4G LTE Wi-Fi connection

NOW, 2LT includes everything above plus:
Console and door panels in interior color
Lumbar/wing adjust
Heated/vented seats
Seat emblems
Bose® premium audio
Universal Home Remote
Auto-dimming mirrors
Memory Package
Color Head-Up Display
SiriusXM Satellite Radio10 with one-year subscription
Enhanced Theft-Deterrent Package
Luggage shade/cargo net
Available Michelin® Pilot® Super Sport® ZP summer-only tires12 and Run Flat tires that are aggressively tuned to provide outstanding handling, grip and road-holding capability
Standard Brembo® brakes
4G LTE Wi-Fi connection
Available Performance Traction Management

You have already mentioned a few of the features that you want in your car in your post....and they are part of the 2LT.

ALSO, like myself, you are going to use your car as a daily driver....no need for the additional cost of the Z51 pkg, just get the ZF1 package, A8 Automatic, and add the performance exhaust. I took delivery of my car 7 weeks ago, and have 4050 miles on it already.....its a dream to drive, and I am sure yours will be too. and after setting up my memory seats.....I have never had an issue.

Last edited by Sir Nuke; 04-18-2015 at 06:00 AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:00 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Get the 2LT interior (all the goodies that a 60 thousand car should have). Forget the ZF1 package, no return on investment. Many like the NPP exhaust system, I went with the standard system (sounds good to me). Get navigation, with bifocals you want a display you can see (iPhone or handheld units are hard to see), unfortunately PDR has been included in the option with a high price of $1,000 attached to it. Standard base suspension has more capability than a 2013 Grand Sport.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:56 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Personally, I like your choices and thought process. at 65 years old, I approached this in much the same way you are.

I opted for the LT1, SGM, Auto w/ the Navi and the machine face wheels. My car windowed at $61K and paid Supplier (actually Military) pricing).

Being a glasses wearer and never having a HUD in the past, I did not feel I needed it. I sat in a friends 3LT car and when I saw the HUD, I was happy I saved my money. I can still see the car gauges quite well even being myopic.

I tried to justify the extra cost of the 2LT but did not see what extras I was getting were worth the expense. If the Nav package was included in the 2LT I'd have probably gone for it, but alas, I'd still have to add that option further increasing the cost.

Those little plastic emblems on the 2lt seats have been known to snag clothing and break. Heated seats in Florida, not so much and a couple of computer fans to ventilate would be nice, but not a huge draw. The extra Bose speaker was a nice feature, but not a deal killer, Stock Bose radio sounds amazing with plenty of bass. I'm not trying to rock the cars next to me at a light. I have my phone connected with the BT and listen to Spotify and TuneIn radio all the time. Stock Bose radio sounds amazing with plenty of bass. The climate control in the C7 is great, so it's a cool ride in our hot weather down here.

I personally think the C7 lines look cleaner without he full spoiler. Of course opinions are like Camaros, (every one has one).

I opted for the SGM color over NRB (that color was my alternate - like your red) since SGM was a new color for 2015 and aside for being in the color palette I like, it actually shows less dust and dirt than other colors (Blacks and NRB). Too many red Corvettes. I wanted my car to be something a bit different. That being said, I would definitely consider the Red Tint-coat if you want something the the red spectrum.

If you decide to go with the SGM, I highly recommend you look at the $1450 Machine Face wheels to go with it. Honestly, the wheels make this car. It's a wheel option most overlooked. When I took delivery the guys at the dealership "Oohed and Aahed" over how good they looked on the car. They had not sold any with the wheels I ordered and never saw them in person. Again personal taste here, but IMO these wheels were made for a SGM car.

I ordered Gray interior in mine so the carpeting matches the seats. I added a gray console cover for Chevy parts and the interior looks tasteful IMO. If I choose, for a couple of hundred$ I can add the homelink visor.

If you like the 2LT package, and have the extra $4500 to spend, certainly go for it. I was a bit more pragmatic in deciding what I was getting for the $4500 and opted to stay with the 1LT and add the Navigation and PDR, Machine faced wheels, and Carbon flash badging. I wanted the vented seat in Florida, but these seats get mixed reviews, I can say after driving my car in Florida w/o the vented seats. I'm fine with my decision.

I added splash guards, Lloyd's embroided mats, Console cover in gray and sill plates protectors and have a car that is perfect for my needs.

Good luck in you choices. Remember there are no wrong choices when you are buying for you.

Last edited by 1SG_Ret; 04-19-2015 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:58 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

From what you described, the Z51 will be a waste of money. Other than that get the most your budget will allow. To me a Corvette is not about getting the most value for your money, it is an emotional purchase and one you should not make compromises on as long as you are within your budget.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:08 PM
VetteManJan
8th Gear

Default Sorry I'm New To The Entire Site and Forums

Thanks to all that replied. Also I'm brand new so I may make a few mistakes as far as protocol and posting. 2 base Mustangs or 2 base Camaros equal a Corvette
This is not like Costco where I can bring it back and say I changed my mind
I'm leaning towards the shark color because I think it might be a little classier and not so flashy rather than torch red. On star navigation displayed via arrows seems to suffice.. The two LT is a bit more money. My mother has passed away. And I don't have a girlfriend. NO ADVICE THERE... Also my priest says his favorite color is black... he also wears Black clothes all the time so I think he's a bit prejudice in this respect, you know how Catholic priests are... everything has to be black with the small white tab in the neck band so he's no help! If this was a 2013 I would definitely go with L2. But with the large speedometer display and the on star navigation with arrows displaying along with miles and feet to the next navigation issue.. it's really a matter of the heated: seats, windows, etc. and seat, steering, radio memory? Come on help this old 59-year-old out with your opinions! L1 or L2 as a daily driver in San Diego? Thanks so very much in advance for those who will be responding

Last edited by VetteManJan; 04-18-2015 at 06:11 PM. Reason: New member mistake, Sorry
Old 04-18-2015, 06:28 PM
VetteManJan
8th Gear

Default Anyone with 2015 L2 seat memory issue?

Forgot one more thing:

Anyone with this problem?
Old 04-18-2015, 08:40 PM
firstvetteowner
Cruising

Default 2LT was good for mee

Thanks to all that replied. Also I'm brand new so I may make a few mistakes as far as protocol and posting. 2 base Mustangs or 2 base Camaros equal a Corvette
I'm leaning towards the shark color because I think it might be a little classier and not so flashy rather than torch red. On star navigation displayed via arrows seems to suffice.. The two LT is a bit more money. My mother has passed away. And I don't have a girlfriend. NO ADVICE THERE... Also my priest says his favorite color is black... he also wears Black clothes all the time so I think he's a bit prejudice in this respect, you know how Catholic priests are... everything has to be black with the small white tab in the neck band so he's no help! If this was a 2013 I would definitely go with L2. But with the large speedometer display and the on star navigation with arrows displaying along with miles and feet to the next navigation issue.. it's really a matter of the heated: seats, windows, etc. and seat, steering, radio memory? Come on help this old 59-year-old out with your opinions! L1 or L2 as a daily driver in San Diego? Thanks so very much in advance for those who will be responding
I was looking at the 1LT and after talking to the salesman(who was very knowledgeable), I bought the 2LT. I added chrome wheels and performance exhaust and battery protection package. I live in TN, so I need the battery package sometimes. I also got a manual tranny because I like to feel the power of shifting. I have had my Corvette for a year and I have loved every minute I am behind the wheel. Also I got Blade Silver Metallic instead of Torch Red. Looks very classy. BTW, I am little older than you are.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:43 PM
C2367
Drifting

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts

1LT ZF1 A8 NPP Shark Gray, Gray interior.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:35 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

A quick visual of the interiors:

2LT adds the following:
UQS Audio system feature, Bose advanced 10-speaker system with bass box
AP9 Cargo net
UV6 Head-Up Display, with color readouts for street mode, track mode with g-meter, vehicle speed, engine rpm
D42 Luggage shade
AAB Memory Package, recalls 2 driver "presets" for 8-way power seat, outside mirrors and tilt/telescoping steering column
DD8 Mirror, inside rearview auto-dimming, frameless
DD0 Mirrors, outside heated power-adjustable and driver-side auto-dimming, body-color
AJK Seat adjusters, power bolster and power lumbar
KQV Seats, heated and vented driver and passenger
UTT Theft-deterrent system, body security content and unauthorized entry electrical
UG1 Universal Home Remote, includes garage door opener, 3-channel programmable, located on driver visor
2LT interior trim, seats, console and door armrests in interior color selected
Old 04-19-2015, 08:03 AM
rstrait
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's really a personal choice. After looking at each of the features that the 2LT has and the 1LT doesn't I could say I was pretty sure none of them would be missed by getting a 1 LT. To my mind there was nothing in the 2LT package that evoked a response of, "I would really like that." The most I could say about some of the features was that I might like them, but I was pretty lukewarm about all the additional features. If there were something I would have known I would really like I would have gotten a 2LT. On the other hand, I got the Z51 MRC package just because I wanted it, even though it made absolutely no sense since it will only be driven on the street. No regrets here, I'm very satisfied with my 1LT Z51 MRC A8.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:44 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by C2367
1LT ZF1 A8 NPP Shark Gray, Gray interior.
Here's a Pix of mine w/ the gray console lid.
Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2015, 10:11 AM
TennisFreak
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Stingray
Vetterman......Personally....you would be MUCH happier with the 2LT. and here is why.....this is what comes standard with the 1LT.

The 1LT is the Stingray for Corvette purists who want the lightest car available and includes these unexpected features:
9-speaker Bose® audio system with 3-month trial subscription to SiriusXM Satellite Radio10
Three seat color options
Rear vision camera
Carbon-fiber hood
Aluminum frame structure
Driver Mode Selector
Standard Brembo® brakes
4G LTE Wi-Fi connection

Lumbar/wing adjust
Heated/vented seats
Seat emblems
Bose® premium audio
Universal Home Remote
Auto-dimming mirrors
Memory Package
Color Head-Up Display
Luggage shade/cargo net
Standard Brembo® brakes
4G LTE Wi-Fi connection

You have already mentioned a few of the features that you want in your car in your post....and they are part of the 2LT.

ALSO, like myself, you are going to use your car as a daily driver....no need for the additional cost of the Z51 pkg, just get the ZF1 package, A8 Automatic, and add the performance exhaust. I took delivery of my car 7 weeks ago, and have 4050 miles on it already.....its a dream to drive, and I am sure yours will be too. and after setting up my memory seats.....I have never had an issue.
LOL see anything wrong with this? You repeated features in the 2lt that are in the 1lt.
Bose premium audio? LOL same exact radio with 2 subs instead of 1.

Sure you get more with the 2lt but don't let some make it out to be like the 1lt is stripped.
Take a look at the actual differences before you decide.
IMO there was nowhere near $4k worth of extras to justify the 2LT vs 1LT.
I used that extra money to get z51 and other upgrades that I wanted.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:11 AM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

First of all, you're not old. At 70 I am getting close to old. Here is the deal, 2lt is nice, my wife really enjoys the heated seats, which many have moaned about for the lack of instant heat. My wife's Lacrosse will burn your hide, in an instant, the C7 will warm your haunches in a few minutes. The vented seat is very nice and keeps your rear comphy on those hot, sultry days. Hud is OK and you're right, the dash is easy to read, and with several configurations available there is sure to be one just right for you.
To me getting the few extras was worth the $4000 in pricing, keeps the wife happy and I believe that the interior looks nicer than the 1lt. Although many of the items are available after market there is the ease of comfort of having them come in the car from the manufacture.
There are no performance upgrades in the 2lt package, just convenience items, many of which I could do without, but as a package deal you can't go wrong, I am now used to them and enjoy having them.
As for the ZF1 package, my wife and I talked it over before ordering and decided that, if wanted, we would get after market wheels to enhance our car. Also, did not care about the Z51 style spoiler. Although the wheels with machine face are killer, that adds another 2k to the price, but would look great on the Shark Grey. ( But only the Z51 style machine faced. )
But, here is the twist, you're getting opinions from many who have ordered and owned their car for a while, and some of these opinions will be biased. Mines not.
Buy what floats your boat and you will enjoy your car more...after all IT IS A CORVETTE! Good luck with your choice, there are no wrong ones with the Corvette. Oh, yeah, don't forget the carbon flash badges.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:54 AM
9ball1104
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Stingray

Three seat color options
Rear vision camera
Carbon-fiber hood
Aluminum frame structure
Driver Mode Selector
Standard Brembo® brakes
4G LTE Wi-Fi connection

Lumbar/wing adjust
Heated/vented seats
Seat emblems
Bose® premium audio
Universal Home Remote
Auto-dimming mirrors
Memory Package
Color Head-Up Display
Luggage shade/cargo net
Standard Brembo® brakes
4G LTE Wi-Fi connection

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Purchase Dilemma

Old 04-19-2015, 10:55 AM
9ball1104
Racer

If it's your DD, you may want to consider neither the ZF1 or Z51. I wanted the most comfortable ride with my speed so I skipped both of these and used some of the money I saved for Nurbs. And I never could warm up to the spoilers, especially the Z51's, which I always thought looked tacked on. But most folks here like the ZF1/Z51 spoiler and wheels, so just something else to consider.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:37 PM
billiam01
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

I feel the biggest reason for Z51 is the brakes. I like the look and the increased performance although the Vette stock brakes have always been real good. The Z51 is just about wanting MORE of a good thing. The 2LT has more contrast in interior colors; is that important to you? The 1LT does offer more or better than previous generations did; previous posters point about cost/benefit are very valid; are the extras truly worth the extra money? Did you get in and try the extra features? You have to experience them.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:40 PM
9ball1104
Racer

Originally Posted by billiam01
I feel the biggest reason for Z51 is the brakes. I like the look and the increased performance although the Vette stock brakes have always been real good. The Z51 is just about wanting MORE of a good thing. The 2LT has more contrast in interior colors; is that important to you? The 1LT does offer more or better than previous generations did; previous posters point about cost/benefit are very valid; are the extras truly worth the extra money? Did you get in and try the extra features? You have to experience them.
Thanks for pointing out the standard brakes are very good also. Too often we only get half the story. The OP may want to consider that the Brembos will need to be replaced more often, cost more to replace and unlike the standard standard brakes, you will need to clean the brake dust after every trip if clean wheels are important to you.

Quick Reply: C7 Purchase Dilemma