GM points question

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 11:39 AM
sanantguy
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default GM points question

Never heard of them before.

So they are fully transferable to anyone you like?

Looking to get all the info for how those work. Would be nice to acquire for my new C&.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:29 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by sanantguy

Looking to get all the info for how those work. Would be nice to acquire for my new C&.
I assume they are transferable since people on here sell em. I've had my GM card for about 15 years. There's a few different flavors though. On mine, I think you get 5% of the purchase toward GM dollars. For example, if I spend $1000 I will get $50 in GM dollars. The GM dollars do not update daily or in real time, rather they top off once a month when the new billing cycle starts. This means if you're pumping the card you have to time your car purchase to happen on or after the 18th of the month or so.
Right now the max allowance I could use on a new Corvette is $3000. Around February I get topped off to $4k on certain cars. Unfortunately the Corvette was not one of them this year, but I may take advantage of it Next Feb on a new Malibu.

When I purchased my C7 I had $1963 in GM dollars. Macmulkin took my info and zero'd out my GM dollars before sending me the paperwork with the $1963 discount already factored in.

Add: Note that if you do not use your GM dollars, at least on my card they drop off after 5 years.

Last edited by DAFFYDRUNK; 04-18-2015 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Added more blahblahblah.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:43 PM
olympic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are old GM cards and new GM cards. The older ones allow 5% accrual on all purchases up to a limit of $500 per year towards a new GM vehicle. My card has an anniversary date of May 1, so I'll use nothing else starting then until I have reached my $500 limit which is $10,000 credited to the card--not difficult to do in less than a year's time.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:30 PM
BarneyZ
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by olympic
There are old GM cards and new GM cards. The older ones allow 5% accrual on all purchases up to a limit of $500 per year towards a new GM vehicle. My card has an anniversary date of May 1, so I'll use nothing else starting then until I have reached my $500 limit which is $10,000 credited to the card--not difficult to do in less than a year's time.
Yes, and I believe the full balance of your card earnings (up to the accrual max of 3500) applied to the GM car of your choice, but I suspect they've quietly changed that policy.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:42 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Points are related to the GM credit card programs, and are usable by the Cardholder, a person of age who is a member of the card holders household, and a cardholders Authorized User. The cardholder is responsible for any debts the authorized user incurs using the credit card. So clearly a card holder can transfer points to any person of age and of course any person accruing a right to use such points would never inappropriately charge to the credit anything unless fully intending to reimburse the cardholder.

Of course.

Laborsmith
Old 04-18-2015, 09:52 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

Only the GM Extended Family card and the GM BuyPower Business card can be used with supplier (also Credit Union) and Employee discounts. Many dealers are accepting these discounts, so GM card points are of limited value unless you have one of these two cards.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:04 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Only the GM Extended Family card and the GM BuyPower Business card can be used with supplier (also Credit Union) and Employee discounts. Many dealers are accepting these discounts, so GM card points are of limited value unless you have one of these two cards.

This is true. But it was posted somewhere that the "old" GM card can be used with supplier. Does anybody know if that is true?
Old 04-18-2015, 10:46 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

Originally Posted by ZL-1

This is true. But it was posted somewhere that the "old" GM card can be used with supplier. Does anybody know if that is true?
From the Supplier Discount FAQ:

Can I combine this discount with any GM Rewards Cards' Earnings?
You can combine the GM Supplier Discount with Earnings from the GM Extended Family Card or GM Business Card. However, the GM Supplier Discount cannot be combined with the BuyPower Card. Earnings from the GM Rewards Cards are in addition to most current offers GM may offer.

You may be able to find a dealer that is discounting to Supplier price or very close but not actually using Supplier pricing. In that case, you can use your GM Card earnings.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:20 AM
sanantguy
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
From the Supplier Discount FAQ:

Can I combine this discount with any GM Rewards Cards' Earnings?
You can combine the GM Supplier Discount with Earnings from the GM Extended Family Card or GM Business Card. However, the GM Supplier Discount cannot be combined with the BuyPower Card. Earnings from the GM Rewards Cards are in addition to most current offers GM may offer.

You may be able to find a dealer that is discounting to Supplier price or very close but not actually using Supplier pricing. In that case, you can use your GM Card earnings.
good point there. for them to come close but not use supplier pricing. that way you can use the card.

Get notified of new replies

To GM points question

Quick Reply: GM points question