OnStar

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 01:00 PM
artistic 95
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13
Default OnStar

On Star trial about to expire. What are people paying for annual renewal for Guidance Program.
Thanks
Old 04-18-2015, 09:07 PM
firstvetteowner
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to the Onstar website. The price just increased.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:09 PM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

Originally Posted by firstvetteowner
Go to the Onstar website. The price just increased.
This is not even remotely helpful considering people are getting rates lower than advertised..
Old 04-18-2015, 09:28 PM
C2367
Drifting

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts

I have got no use from it and for what little I drive the car it would not be worth paying for. This and XM I could live without but it could be good for you.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:38 PM
Beezvette
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default $149 plus tax

Originally Posted by artistic 95
On Star trial about to expire. What are people paying for annual renewal for Guidance Program.
Thanks
For the basic coverage, $50 off list, should be a good reference point:

I just paid $149 plus tax. If they try to charge more, ask to speak with their customer loyalty program. It was a little more complicated for me because i had let it expire, but still i paid $149 plus about $10 tax for the next 12 months.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:42 PM
craigcurry
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Unless you absolutely need Onstar stay far away from it and never give them your credit card. When Onstar increased their monthly cost from $20 to $25 I contacted Onstar and asked them to cancel all 4 accounts that I had with them. They told me that all 4 accounts would be closed on March 16. When I got my credit card bill for April they had charged me for all 4 accounts. Again I called them and they said that they had only closed 3 accounts. However they could not explain how I was charged for 4 accounts in April. They said that they would close the 1 open account and charge back the April charges for 4 accounts. I just checked my credit card information and as of this day I have not received the credit charged back. To make matters worst when I called to close all 4 accounts I found out that 1 of the accounts was being over charged since day one. This account was on a vehicle that did not have the ability to have Onstar to do things thing like open you doors remotely. That vehicle should have been charge less than $15 a month. Onstar is a big rip off for GM loyal customers and a cash cow for GM.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:47 PM
Beezvette
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by craigcurry
Unless you absolutely need Onstar stay far away from it and never give them your credit card. When Onstar increased their monthly cost from $20 to $25 I contacted Onstar and asked them to cancel all 4 accounts that I had with them. They told me that all 4 accounts would be closed on March 16. When I got my credit card bill for April they had charged me for all 4 accounts. Again I called them and they said that they had only closed 3 accounts. However they could not explain how I was charged for 4 accounts in April. They said that they would close the 1 open account and charge back the April charges for 4 accounts. I just checked my credit card information and as of this day I have not received the credit charged back. To make matters worst when I called to close all 4 accounts I found out that 1 of the accounts was being over charged since day one. This account was on a vehicle that did not have the ability to have Onstar to do things thing like open you doors remotely. That vehicle should have been charge less than $15 a month. Onstar is a big rip off for GM loyal customers and a cash cow for GM.
Yes you make all good points but for some of us it provides peace of mind. Couldn't you challenge the charges through your credit card company and let them duke it out with Onstar?
Old 04-19-2015, 07:54 PM
craigcurry
Racer

Originally Posted by Beezvette
Yes you make all good points but for some of us it provides peace of mind. Couldn't you challenge the charges through your credit card company and let them duke it out with Onstar?
That is next. My daughter has a vehicle in Texas, my son has a vehicle in Chicago and another is my wife's vehicle. I kept Onstar because I like the peace of mind it provided my family and I. But when they increased the cost of Onstar it to much for me to take.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:59 PM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

If you have a cell phone, what is the point? I dropped them, and never looked back....no use for the service, any of their services, TOO EXPENSIVE.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:44 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

If I remember right, I paid $112 for a year's service and paid by check. They allow winter suspension so that basically extends the year for me.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:16 PM
OnStar Advisor
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: OnStar

Hi craigcurry,

We would like to have the opportunity to speak with you further about your OnStar experience. I assure you, we take our subscribers comments very seriously. Please send us a private message with your VIN or account number so we can further assist you. Your family's safety is important to us, and we would like to provide you with the peace of mind you once had. We look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Kayla K.
OnStar Customer Care

Originally Posted by craigcurry
That is next. My daughter has a vehicle in Texas, my son has a vehicle in Chicago and another is my wife's vehicle. I kept Onstar because I like the peace of mind it provided my family and I. But when they increased the cost of Onstar it to much for me to take.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:23 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by C2367
I have got no use from it and for what little I drive the car it would not be worth paying for. This and XM I could live without but it could be good for you.
The onstar I will live without. Having XM on my various cross country jaunts is worth the money to me.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:35 PM
fizzman
Racer

Default OnStar renewal price i got

FYI for folks considering a renewal..
As people have mentioned on this forum, the prices on the site went up recently and have changed names. I do occasionally use the iphone app's 'send directions to car nav' feature when i need to send an address and hate typing on the on screen keys.

the best price i got for was $269 for 14 months (approx $19/month) before tax and this was for the 'Guidance' plan which is generally $349 a year.
I did renew by mail (Pro Tip: NEVER give them your credit card) because at that price point, it actually makes sense for me given i wanted the Stolen vehicle assistance and crash response services.. both services i hope never to use having nav and free calling minutes was icing
Old 04-28-2015, 07:41 PM
VINDIC8R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Less Than Stellar Experience with OnStar

Some background...
I took delivery of my C7 on January 20 and it went straight into storage. I had never done the Welcome call. My free trial for the WiFi Hotspot had ended before I drove the car. The dealer lit up my OnStar about January 12.

After being pestered by OnStar asking how I like OnStar I had told them I had not pushed the blue button yet. I finally did the Welcome call this past Saturday. It appears that old that was standard with OnStar for 2014 and earlier is being handled by regular OnStar. It appears the WiFi/Hotspot/4G connectivity is being handled by someone else. I was faced with this when I complained I never got a chance to try the hotspot capability during the Welcome call. The Welcome Advisor was good. I explained my situation about new car directly into winter storage and now my trial has been extended to September from July. Thank you OnStar.

After the call I was transferred to OnStar Wifi and they told me there was no extending my trial for this feature. Bad, bad, bad for there would have been a chance I would have signed up at the end of an extended trial (my wife LOVES her iPad and playing games). They would not budge.

I did pay for 300 minutes of hands free talk to use during my trial. It was $15 CDN and not a biggie. Ouch! I did give them my CC number. They said they would email me my C7's phone number. I have not received it yet and this is Tuesday.

In an online survey i explained much the same grief. I told them that with Smartphones and my C7 having a nav system, OnStar is pretty much an obsolete tool. Yes, I appreciate the crash response stuff.

I got put on hold a couple of times during my initial call rendering OnStar just another customer support service. The only plus is you don't have to dial a number.

Lastly, I got yet another OnStar courtesy call this morning and gave her an earful - especially about my car's phone number. She had the number in front of her. I got the number by some secondary means!! Please.

I doubt I will use the service one the trial ends. Lord knows they have already excluded me from the WiFi unless I am willing to put down some e pluribus unum upfront. Some free trial. OnStar? Yeah, right.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:46 PM
dirty eddie
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default onstar

Originally Posted by artistic 95
Thanks
I just paid $179.90 and got to keep my minutes.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:05 PM
fizzman
Racer

Originally Posted by dirty eddie
I just paid $179.90 and got to keep my minutes.
Was that for the guidance package?
Old 04-29-2015, 01:00 PM
INTHERED
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Onstar

If you cancel the OnStar do you lose any other features on the car like Navigation, WiFi, etc ?

Get notified of new replies

To OnStar

Old 04-29-2015, 01:29 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts
Default OnStar

Originally Posted by INTHERED
If you cancel the OnStar do you lose any other features on the car like Navigation, WiFi, etc ?
you lose all on star features except the ability to lock/unlock doors and honk horn/flash lights with their app.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:52 PM
OnStar Advisor
Advanced

Originally Posted by VINDIC8R
Some background...
I took delivery of my C7 on January 20 and it went straight into storage. I had never done the Welcome call. My free trial for the WiFi Hotspot had ended before I drove the car. The dealer lit up my OnStar about January 12.

After being pestered by OnStar asking how I like OnStar I had told them I had not pushed the blue button yet. I finally did the Welcome call this past Saturday. It appears that old that was standard with OnStar for 2014 and earlier is being handled by regular OnStar. It appears the WiFi/Hotspot/4G connectivity is being handled by someone else. I was faced with this when I complained I never got a chance to try the hotspot capability during the Welcome call. The Welcome Advisor was good. I explained my situation about new car directly into winter storage and now my trial has been extended to September from July. Thank you OnStar.

After the call I was transferred to OnStar Wifi and they told me there was no extending my trial for this feature. Bad, bad, bad for there would have been a chance I would have signed up at the end of an extended trial (my wife LOVES her iPad and playing games). They would not budge.

I did pay for 300 minutes of hands free talk to use during my trial. It was $15 CDN and not a biggie. Ouch! I did give them my CC number. They said they would email me my C7's phone number. I have not received it yet and this is Tuesday.

In an online survey i explained much the same grief. I told them that with Smartphones and my C7 having a nav system, OnStar is pretty much an obsolete tool. Yes, I appreciate the crash response stuff.

I got put on hold a couple of times during my initial call rendering OnStar just another customer support service. The only plus is you don't have to dial a number.

Lastly, I got yet another OnStar courtesy call this morning and gave her an earful - especially about my car's phone number. She had the number in front of her. I got the number by some secondary means!! Please.

I doubt I will use the service one the trial ends. Lord knows they have already excluded me from the WiFi unless I am willing to put down some e pluribus unum upfront. Some free trial. OnStar? Yeah, right.

Hey there,

We're glad your initial Welcome went well, but understand you were not completely satisfied with your experience prior to that. We want to ensure everything has been done on our end to fully address your questions and concerns. If there's any way we can be of further assistance just shoot us a private message with your account number and details. We're happy to do what we can to help.

Originally Posted by fizzman
Was that for the guidance package?
We're more than happy to go over plans and pricing options with you, fizzman. If interested, feel free to message us your VIN or account number.

Amber N.
OnStar Customer Care

Last edited by OnStar Advisor; 04-29-2015 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:00 PM
craigcurry
Racer

Originally Posted by OnStar Advisor
Hi craigcurry,

We would like to have the opportunity to speak with you further about your OnStar experience. I assure you, we take our subscribers comments very seriously. Please send us a private message with your VIN or account number so we can further assist you. Your family's safety is important to us, and we would like to provide you with the peace of mind you once had. We look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Kayla K.
OnStar Customer Care
I sent a PM and never heard a peep from OnStar, still waiting. I bet ya that OnStar will attempt to charge my credit card 80 bucks even thou I have cancel all 4 of my subscription last March.

Quick Reply: OnStar