C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member! Corvette on order. What do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 10:23 PM
IndyPilot
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Man so much great information! Thanks so much!

I'm starting to wonder if a novastretch will be enough for what I need. Our roads are pretty good here and I'm mainly worried about bugs tearing up the front of the car, particularly for long trips. My drive to work is only about 20 miles and we don't plan on putting many miles on this car (maybe 5000mi a year).

Since this is a "toy" for us, we don't want to dump too much money into it but we do want to protect our investment as best as we can (and can afford). I think a film would be great but may be too much.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:43 PM
Raiderh20boy
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 279 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by rcooper
Patience. A must have.
YUUUP!
Get a good comfortable chair, couple 6pks ( or cases)of your favorite and relax for a while ������
Depending on location, it might be 3-4 weeks or 3-4 months.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:33 PM
IndyPilot
Instructor

Do you guys use anything in particular to keep the rotors from rusting/turning brown?

As a side note, my car is at code 3000. I think I should be expecting a TPW any day now.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:06 PM
IndyPilot
Instructor

So, I've been putting a list together of detailing products and this is what I'm looking at:

1. Zaino Ultimate Protection Kit ( http://www.zainostore.com/mm5/mercha...y_Code=prokits )
2. Chenille Microfiber Wash Mitt (
Amazon.com: Chemical Guys  MIC493 Chenille Microfiber Premium Scratch-Free Wash Mitt: Automotive Amazon.com: Chemical Guys MIC493 Chenille Microfiber Premium Scratch-Free Wash Mitt: Automotive
)
3. (2) Supreme Guzzler Waffle Weave Drying Towels (
Amazon.com: The Supreme Guzzler Waffle Weave by Cobra: Automotive Amazon.com: The Supreme Guzzler Waffle Weave by Cobra: Automotive
)
4. (9) 520 GSM Microfiber Detailing Towels (
Amazon.com: Auto Detailing Towels Amazon.com: Auto Detailing Towels
)
5. (2) 5 Gallon Buckets (
Amazon.com : Hydrofarm HG5G 5-Gallon Black Bucket : Open Home Storage Bins : Patio, Lawn & Garden Amazon.com : Hydrofarm HG5G 5-Gallon Black Bucket : Open Home Storage Bins : Patio, Lawn & Garden
)
6. (2) Grit Guards for the buckets (
Amazon.com: The Grit Guard Insert (Red) - Fits 12 inch Diameter Bucket: Automotive Amazon.com: The Grit Guard Insert (Red) - Fits 12 inch Diameter Bucket: Automotive
)

How does that look? Am I missing anything or is that overkill?

I'll also be buying the WeatherTech Floor Mats, Novistrech Bra and Mirror Covers, and a cover to keep the dust off in the garage.

Last edited by IndyPilot; 05-17-2015 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:21 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyPilot
Do you guys use anything in particular to keep the rotors from rusting/turning brown?
All I do is take the car for a short drive and apply the brakes after washing; that gets rid of the rust and it doesn't come back until the next wash. Pretty simple.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:29 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyPilot
So, I've been putting a list together of detailing products and this is what I'm looking at:

1. Zaino Ultimate Protection Kit ( http://www.zainostore.com/mm5/mercha...y_Code=prokits )
2. Chenille Microfiber Wash Mitt ( Amazon.com: Chemical Guys MIC493 Chenille Microfiber Premium Scratch-Free Wash Mitt: Automotive )
3. (2) Supreme Guzzler Waffle Weave Drying Towels ( Amazon.com: The Supreme Guzzler Waffle Weave by Cobra: Automotive )
4. (9) 520 GSM Microfiber Detailing Towels ( Amazon.com: Auto Detailing Towels )
5. (2) 5 Gallon Buckets ( Amazon.com : Hydrofarm HG5G 5-Gallon Black Bucket : Open Home Storage Bins : Patio, Lawn & Garden )
6. (2) Grit Guards for the buckets ( Amazon.com: The Grit Guard Insert (Red) - Fits 12 inch Diameter Bucket: Automotive )

How does that look? Am I missing anything or is that overkill?

I'll also be buying the WeatherTech Floor Mats, Novistrech Bra and Mirror Covers, and a cover to keep the dust off in the garage.

IndyPilot:

I am sure that you will be bombarded with detail product suggestions. You have built a good starting list. Over a period of time, I am sure that you will be inticed to try new products. There is no right or wrong when it comes to detailing. I detail allot of modern and classic cars and I am always trying new products.

I would suggest an Air Force Master Blaster either the 4HP or 8HP model, they work great and there are many posts here on the forum about them.

Read reviews and find and use products that you like and are easy for you to use.

There is no "one" expert when it comes to detailing. Opinions are vast as well as suggestions.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:53 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

My Z51 is 4 mo. old... Having side skirts and the GM optional side flaps keeps rocks from the sides. I have a Novistretch Bra for trips, but lots of wax on the front is the best way to make it easy to remove bugs. You can touch up and even re-paint the front for lots of years use for the price of Expel. Most of the other extra's are personal to you, like a splitter, Z06 grille etc... You might consider a reasonably priced ($150.) catch can, to keep oil residue out of your intake manifold. This was the first big mod I did to mine, as DI engines can't clean off the intake valves, as the fuel is not sprayed into the intake runners, but directly into the cylinder. Eventually, you will see carbon buildup on your valves, unless you get a catch can, or have a garage clean your valve stems... Been there.. done that on other vehicles...

For now... just enjoy your new toy!!!! I AM!
Old 05-17-2015, 08:44 PM
IndyPilot
Instructor

Originally Posted by nmvettec7
IndyPilot:

I am sure that you will be bombarded with detail product suggestions. You have built a good starting list. Over a period of time, I am sure that you will be inticed to try new products. There is no right or wrong when it comes to detailing. I detail allot of modern and classic cars and I am always trying new products.

I would suggest an Air Force Master Blaster either the 4HP or 8HP model, they work great and there are many posts here on the forum about them.

Read reviews and find and use products that you like and are easy for you to use.

There is no "one" expert when it comes to detailing. Opinions are vast as well as suggestions.
Hey there. Thanks for the info. I guess I should've been more clear that I was asking to see if I was missing anything rather than looking for opinions on the products (particularly the soap and wax). Right now, as far as the wax, I'm either going to go with Zaino or the products that Glen e suggested in his how-to which looks mostly like Blackfire. I get a feeling that at a certain price point, most all products will perform very similar.

Quick Reply: New Member! Corvette on order. What do I need?