C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member! Corvette on order. What do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 04:32 PM
IndyPilot
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default New Member! Corvette on order. What do I need?

Hey Everyone!

Just wanted to introduce myself and ask a few questions. This past Wednesday, my wife and I placed our order on our first Corvette and we can't be more excited. It's always been a dream to own one. I owned a 1996 WS6 TransAm back in the day and my first car was a 1985 WS6, so, I've been hooked on sports cars for a while.

It's a basic one but we are still super excited. Specs are:

Shark Grey
Black Interior
1LT
Auto
ZF1 Appearance Package
Red Calipers
Performance Exhaust

Right now, we are at code 2000 I believe.

Anyway, we are looking at "essential items" we need to purchase, mainly to keep the car looking great. We are going to be buying some Weather Tech floor mats and a cover for the garage to keep dust off of it during the winter.

I've been looking at getting a Novastretch Bra for long trips. Any thoughts on those? I do remember owning a bra on my first TransAm and it did scratch up the front of my car from leaving it on. Is that a concern with the Novastretch?

What else do we need to get? Soaps? Microfiber towels? Polish? etc...

Looking forward to your replies and chatting with you all!

Last edited by IndyPilot; 04-18-2015 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:48 PM
redstar299
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you wanna keep the car looking great XPEL is a must.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:51 PM
IndyPilot
Instructor

Originally Posted by redstar299
If you wanna keep the car looking great XPEL is a must.
Hmm. Is that like the 3M film? I had considered getting the film on my WS6 but I heard it yellows after a few years. Any truth to that?
Old 04-18-2015, 04:54 PM
redstar299
Racer

Xpel has a 10 warranty. No I don't believe it yellows. Its must have as far as im concerned I would never buy and not put it on
Old 04-18-2015, 04:58 PM
chipsvette06
Instructor

Originally Posted by IndyPilot
Hmm. Is that like the 3M film? I had considered getting the film on my WS6 but I heard it yellows after a few years. Any truth to that?

Not with expel and a few others.

Door sill guards
No scratch with nova bra
Parking assist to avoid front end damage
Hug your wife daily.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:59 PM
Holy C7
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Congrats on your C7 order. I placed mine two days ago and ordered almost the exact same car you did, except I went with Arctic White. Cant wait!

As far as stuff to get, if your car will be parked for more than two weeks your going to want to get a battery tender. I would recommend a CTEK 4.3 through Amazon. As far as detailing stuff, there is a fella on here named Glen e who has put together an easy, straight forward detail method using just a few, very good and fairly inexpensive products. Many people on here have tried it and have been very pleased with the results.

I will send you a PM with add. info.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:59 PM
IndyPilot
Instructor

Originally Posted by redstar299
Xpel has a 10 warranty. No I don't believe it yellows. Its must have as far as im concerned I would never buy and not put it on
Thanks for the info! I found an installer close to me and I'll contact them about a price. I'm assuming the hood, fender, and mirror kit should suffice?
Old 04-18-2015, 05:01 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

I agree completely with those who recommend Xpel or 3M; it's a complete no brainer IMO. Also, get a nice set of Lloyds Ultimats (front and rear). What about a nice C7 jacket? The Cutter and Buck one that they sell at the National Corvette Museum store is one of my favorites.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:02 PM
IndyPilot
Instructor

Originally Posted by chipsvette06
Hug your wife daily.
Haha, you aren't kidding! It's funny because I was the one originally wanting the car and I kind of just let it go for a while thinking we wouldn't do it. Then, one day, she starts sending me amortization, household budget, and loan payment spreadsheets she made up with "You know, we can actually do this if we want".
Old 04-18-2015, 05:03 PM
IndyPilot
Instructor

Originally Posted by mpuzach
I agree completely with those who recommend Xpel or 3M; it's a complete no brainer IMO. Also, get a nice set of Lloyds Ultimats (front and rear). What about a nice C7 jacket? The Cutter and Buck one that they sell at the National Corvette Museum store is one of my favorites.
Would you recommend the Lloyds over the WeatherTechs? We got a set of WT's for my parents and were pretty impressed by them.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:03 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Thanks for the info! I found an installer close to me and I'll contact them about a price. I'm assuming the hood, fender, and mirror kit should suffice?
I did entire hood, entire front fenders, front bumper, headlights, outside mirrors, doors, rocker panels, door sills, and rear fenders (basically everything except the A pillars, roof panel, rear fascia, and rear hatch). I have ZERO regrets.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:07 PM
IndyPilot
Instructor

Originally Posted by mpuzach
I did entire hood, entire front fenders, front bumper, headlights, outside mirrors, doors, rocker panels, door sills, and rear fenders (basically everything except the A pillars, roof panel, rear fascia, and rear hatch). I have ZERO regrets.
Cool. I'll have to price it out and see how much it all costs. I'd like to do the whole car but need to see how it fits into our budget (don't want to push my luck with the wife).
Old 04-18-2015, 05:22 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,936 Likes on 4,815 Posts

Clay bar
Polish
Wax
Detail spray
Micro fiber towels
Yes on the Lloyds mats over the weather techs
As for the clear bra quite expensive and I am not a fan. You can see the edges, then you are always looking for damage to the Xpel itself. . I would rather use the nova bra for road trips and drcolorchip for any minor paint chips IF you get any.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:43 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Hey Everyone!

Just wanted to introduce myself and ask a few questions. This past Wednesday, my wife and I placed our order on our first Corvette and we can't be more excited. It's always been a dream to own one. I owned a 1996 WS6 TransAm back in the day and my first car was a 1985 WS6, so, I've been hooked on sports cars for a while.

It's a basic one but we are still super excited. Specs are:

Shark Grey
Black Interior
1LT
Auto
ZF1 Appearance Package
Red Calipers
Performance Exhaust

Right now, we are at code 2000 I believe.

Anyway, we are looking at "essential items" we need to purchase, mainly to keep the car looking great. We are going to be buying some Weather Tech floor mats and a cover for the garage to keep dust off of it during the winter.

I've been looking at getting a Novastretch Bra for long trips. Any thoughts on those? I do remember owning a bra on my first TransAm and it did scratch up the front of my car from leaving it on. Is that a concern with the Novastretch?

What else do we need to get? Soaps? Microfiber towels? Polish? etc...

Looking forward to your replies and chatting with you all!
Hello IndyPilot:

Welcome the C7 world of sports cars.

I essentially have the same C7 as yours. Just in Torch Red and Gray Interior. My 5 multispoke Z51 style wheels are chrome.

Here's my set up and what I have added.

I paid $56,088 for the C7.

I then put in additional items that I thought were necessary and would enhance the appearence of the C7.

Corvette C7 as purchased:

2015 Corvette C7
Non-Z51/1LT
Torch Red
Gray Interior
A8 Transmission
ZF1 Appearance Pkg
Performance Exhaust
Chrome Multi-Spoke Wheels (Paid $1995 additional)
Indoor GM OEM Car Cover (Red w Corvette logos)
Battery Protection charger (sold this re purchaesed a CTEK MUS 4.3 - 8 step charger)
MSRP: $64,010
Paid: $56,088

Additions:

OEM GM Front Splitter $105.00
GTX Z06 Side Skirts $389.00
Lloyds Mats $140.00
Stingray Cargo Mat $135.00
CTEK MUS 4.3-8 Step smartcharger $65.00
Torch Red Fuel Rail covers $25.00
Torch Red Manifold Covers $20.00
20% Window Tint (4 windows + Hatch) $125.00

As for detailing.....

I use allot of Meguiars products....sold on Amazon
Mothers or Meguiars Clay Bar Kit or Nanoskin sponge (fine grade)
I used Pinnacle Black Diamond Paint Coating to coat the paint. ($79.99)
I used Pinnacle Black Diamond Wheel Coating to coat the chrome wheels...$39.99
Microfiber Towels from Chemical guys....sold on Amazon
I use a Duragloss or Rain-X spot free wash.
I use Pinnacle Synergy Wax

You will get many opinions on what products to use for detailing, There is no right or wrong product. You have to experiment with various products. No matter what professional detailer you speak with they all have different opinions and products they use. It is easy to get carried away buying detailing products. I do suggest a Dual Action Buffer or Polisher. There are various brands from Porter Cable, Meguiars, or Griot Garage. I did use a Mother Clay Bar kit once the car was delivered and did a comprehensive detail job with just 50 miles on the C7.

As for the film application on the car. I used 3m Film Shield on my Formula F1000 race car to protect the nose, shock cover, mirrors, side panels etc. The 3M Film Shield here in New Mexico did yellow after a period of time (about 2 years). My Formula F1000 did not sit out in the sun, only on race days. I would avoid this product.

In order to Xpel the C7 entirely, look to spend about $3500. Doing the essential areas will cost in the neighborhood of $1500. I would be very cautious of any "spin" from a seller and installer of any film product. Keep in mind they are there to sell a product. The product does not cost that much, it's the professional installation and labor costs to install the product that drives the price up. There are numerous products on the open market. Keep an open mind when considering a purchase. 3M, Xpel and Suntech are the major players in this product.

I would make a through investigation and complete your due diligence before committing to any film application on the C7. There are mixed opinions on using a protective film shield. I don't trust any 10 warranty on any of these products personally.

I have choosen not to put any film on my C7 as I live in a city of about 100,000 were I do not have heavy traffic and our roads are in good shape.

I hope this info helps. Enjoy your new ride. It is one awesome driving machine.
Attached Images   

Last edited by nmvettec7; 04-18-2015 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:48 PM
Papa D
Heel & Toe

Before my car left the dealer it had splash guards, side skirts from RPI and Xpel to full hood, bumper, rockers, lights and mirrors. Don't forget a battery tender. Enjoy the new ride. You may also want to consider extended warranty considering all the electronics and a first year automatic.

Last edited by Papa D; 04-18-2015 at 07:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-18-2015, 08:12 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Patience. A must have.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:42 PM
IndyPilot
Instructor

Out of curiosity, why are the Lloyds floor mats better than WeatherTech?

Get notified of new replies

To New Member! Corvette on order. What do I need?

Old 04-18-2015, 08:52 PM
3rail
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of curiosity, why are the Lloyds floor mats better than WeatherTech?
Actually you are comparing apples to oranges.....so to speak. I have BOTH SETS and swap them out for our different seasons here in the northeast.

The Lloyds mats are very, very thick lush CARPET. Very elegant and comfy underfoot.

The Weathertechs are exactly what the name implies. They are made from rubber and are for mostly bad weather, rain, snow, etc. they are highly functional but not very stylish or comfy under foot.

Just my Pennsy Dutch advice......hope that helps.

Donald
Old 04-18-2015, 09:09 PM
Da Hawk
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 46 Posts

IndyPilot,

Congrats to you and your wife on a great purchase! Welcome to the forum and the club!

Fellow forum member, Glen e, has a great washing/detailing process that he shares with everyone. In it, it will include items that he recommends using to get maximum results. I, as well as many others here in the forum, have heeded his advice and the car always looks great when complete.

Here is a link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/acxkaf44c...VlC5djtQa?dl=0
Old 04-18-2015, 09:22 PM
3rail
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What else do we need to get?
First, congratulations and welcome to the SG family. I have a SG Z51 with the black 2LT interior. You will love it!

Now, back to your question, How deep are your pockets?

So far on my list since purchase...

Lloyds carpet floor mats (Stingray logo)
Lloyds carpet for rear hatch (flag logo)
Weathertechs floor mats
GM splash guards
Dynamat for some additional sound deadening and insulation
LED side markers (smoked)
Novistretch cover bra for front end and mirrors
Gorilla black lug nuts with locks
Black caps for valve stems
"Jake" center caps
Hockey pucks for jack points
Low profile "early warning crash device" audible for front end
Vinyl covers for sun visor "warning" yellow stickers
LED lamps for rear cargo area (replace stock incandescent)
Covercraft sun shield for windshield
Covercraft car cover for indoor use
License plate frame
Vanity DOT license plate
Griots garage DA polisher (replace my Porter Cable)
Metra "Master Blaster" (upgrade from my leaf blower)
A set of wheel Woolies (great for cleaning those deep barrels)
More car care products than I can list
A cool pair of Oakley sunglasses
GM leather jacket that matches the SG car (gift from my sons)
Cutter-Buck springtime jacket

That may be it for now....hope you will have as much fun as I am having!!

Just my opinion on film for the car. I have done that in the past....this time around I decided to pass. My C7 is not a daily driver but will see plenty of road use. For trips I will use the stretch bra and if I get a chip or two, I will handle that with some touch up or DRChip. Honestly, I cannot justify the price for a wrap. I do not plan to enter car shows so a chip or two is just a badge of courage and I doubt the casual observer will ever see them when the rest of the car sparkles like a jewel.

Post up some pics when you get your ride.

Donald

Last edited by 3rail; 04-19-2015 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Bad spelling

Quick Reply: New Member! Corvette on order. What do I need?