Sponsored by:

GM employee pricing

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 03:10 PM
jimpru
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default GM employee pricing

Why will some dealers not honor the GM Employee discount? Found the exact car I was looking for (2015 Torch Red 3lt with black interior) called the dealership and was told they would not honor the pricing. First time I have ever ran into that issue.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:22 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dealer choice. Program rules can be complicated and GMS sales are subjected to more stringent audits, especially for the Corvette vehicle line. Some areas (such as Metro Detroit) it is difficult to find a dealer who does not accept program pricing. Other areas it is difficult to find dealers who will.

But in the end, a dealer has the choice to accept program deals or not and can accept for all Chevrolet cars but not for the Corvette.

Laborsmith
Old 04-25-2015, 03:25 PM
jimpru
Racer

Interesting. I have had three dealers accept it for a Corvette but not this particular one. Told him I would pick it up today but best they would do is about $1,000.00 off MSRP. all I could do not to laugh at them
Old 04-25-2015, 03:39 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Originally Posted by laborsmith
Dealer choice. Program rules can be complicated and GMS sales are subjected to more stringent audits, especially for the Corvette vehicle line. Some areas (such as Metro Detroit) it is difficult to find a dealer who does not accept program pricing. Other areas it is difficult to find dealers who will.

But in the end, a dealer has the choice to accept program deals or not and can accept for all Chevrolet cars but not for the Corvette.

Laborsmith

From the GM Employee Discount Program Rules and Guidelines:
Additional Information

If the dealer you visit is not willing to sell you a vehicle through the GM Vehicle Purchase Programs, you may visit another GM Dealer. Dealer participation is voluntary.

Dealers are not required to participate in the GM Vehicle Purchase Program. To determine a specific dealer’s willingness to sell vehicles under The Programs, you must contact the dealer directly.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:46 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

You do not mention where you live. In Michigan that dealer would be out of business. In MN most would tell you MSRP.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:10 PM
BUCKNERBUCK2
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Go with macmaulkin. I am gm employee in michigan and going through them has been by far best price and very painless for museum delivery. Deposit sent in tuesday, order official yesterday, go to 2000 status next week. Be built may 18-30. Excellent experience
Old 04-25-2015, 07:49 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
You do not mention where you live. In Michigan that dealer would be out of business. In MN most would tell you MSRP.
My point exactly.

Detroit Metro Area.

Laborsmith
Old 04-26-2015, 12:41 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I purchased my '15 with a GMS (employee pricing code). Two local dealerships by me...

One told me they wouldn't honor it on "performance vehicles" but would consider it on a leftover '14. I went to the higher volume vendor and got my '15 no questions asked with around 10K off MSRP
Old 04-26-2015, 07:10 AM
jimpru
Racer

The dealer is about 3 hours from me in Memphis Tennessee. No harm no foul. Just means I have to travel a little further to get the car I want. Like I stated this was the first dealer that would not honor GM pricing. I know that it is their right to refuse but when you have someone ready to buy today just different. Maybe that they are a small dealership and need the profit. Who knows. Like previously stated there are dealers that will and when you can get a large discount on one makes no sense not to.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:07 PM
Busa Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

When I was looking for mine every dealer in our DFW area was willing to participate. I was able to buy a Callaway that just rolled off the transport that morning using Supplier Pricing. All I had to do was negotiate the Callaway upgrade--not a lot of luck to speak of with that part.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:22 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Apparently that particular dealer feels he can make more money by selling the car without honoring the Employee discount than if he did honor the employee discount.

Nothing you can do about it. It's possible that you can get another dealer to do a trade with him, and then the second dealer will give you the employee discount, but doubtful that will happen.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:07 PM
oyealiz
Team Owner

Received 232 Likes on 119 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'16

Originally Posted by jimpru
The dealer is about 3 hours from me in Memphis Tennessee. No harm no foul. Just means I have to travel a little further to get the car I want. Like I stated this was the first dealer that would not honor GM pricing. I know that it is their right to refuse but when you have someone ready to buy today just different. Maybe that they are a small dealership and need the profit. Who knows. Like previously stated there are dealers that will and when you can get a large discount on one makes no sense not to.
Dealer about 1 hr south of me had what I wanted. They wanted MSRP, no discount and wouldn't take employee or supplier pricing.

Originally Posted by Busa Dave
When I was looking for mine every dealer in our DFW area was willing to participate. I was able to buy a Callaway that just rolled off the transport that morning using Supplier Pricing. All I had to do was negotiate the Callaway upgrade--not a lot of luck to speak of with that part.
I bought in April 2014, and no one in DFW would give the discount, so I went to Hendrick Chevrolet Shawnee Mission.

As others have said, it's up to the dealer. I wasn't going to give up employee discount pricing, though, when plane tickets are cheap, and it didn't cost much to drive home.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:02 PM
jimpru
Racer

Originally Posted by oyealiz
Dealer about 1 hr south of me had what I wanted. They wanted MSRP, no discount and wouldn't take employee or supplier pricing.

I bought in April 2014, and no one in DFW would give the discount, so I went to Hendrick Chevrolet Shawnee Mission.

As others have said, it's up to the dealer. I wasn't going to give up employee discount pricing, though, when plane tickets are cheap, and it didn't cost much to drive home.
Agree is makes no sense.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:13 PM
Dracla
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

It is merely a function of how many Corvettes the dealer has sold in the past. High volume dealers are much more likely to say "yes" to a GMS sale, at least in the 2nd or 3rd year of a new model (like the C7). Low volume dealers will likely say "no". If it is very late in the model year (think 2017 or 2018 versions) just about anyone will say "yes". But count on the very low volume dealers to always say "no".
Old 04-28-2015, 10:04 PM
OldJedi
Drifting

Received 614 Likes on 336 Posts

I found that dealers that are near GM plants or GM Headquarters would be more than willing to accept GM Supplier / Employee discount. I ordered mine from Rodgers Chevrolet near Detroit and they brought the car to my house in South Florida in their transport. I thought it was great.
Attached Images  

Last edited by OldJedi; 04-28-2015 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:48 PM
1 STING
Drifting

Received 888 Likes on 500 Posts

In my search during the past few weeks I found several dealers willing to honor GM Suppliers Discount which I assume is at invoice price or close to it and wound up using the plan to purchase a 2015.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:20 PM
GLENK
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OldJedi
I found that dealers that are near GM plants or GM Headquarters would be more than willing to accept GM Supplier / Employee discount. I ordered mine from Rodgers Chevrolet near Detroit and they brought the car to my house in South Florida in their transport. I thought it was great.
WOW! Talk about SERVICE! That is awesome.

Get notified of new replies

To GM employee pricing

Old 04-29-2015, 12:15 AM
runner61627
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by OldJedi
How much extra was the transport?
Old 04-29-2015, 08:33 AM
RickConti@Coughlin
Safety Car

Received 1,554 Likes on 557 Posts

Why will some dealers not honor the GM Employee discount? Found the exact car I was looking for (2015 Torch Red 3lt with black interior) called the dealership and was told they would not honor the pricing. First time I have ever ran into that issue.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:43 AM
davekp78
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

I couldn't find any dealer in central Florida willing to do employee discount. Wound up going to Les Stanford, and doing courtesy delivery.

Quick Reply: GM employee pricing