Sponsored by:

Another Oil Change Question From The Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 12:46 PM
AlaskaPaul
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Another Oil Change Question From The Newbie

To reiterate, I am not a car guy/mechanic, but usually change my own oil and try other minor maintenance like changing filters, shocks, tires, etc.
And I have never used a car jack in my life.

But I definitely want to change the oil in my C7 to keep it out of the hands of a dealer. I have read too many horror stories, as have you all.

So for months before I picked up my car last Tuesday, I had posted on this forum several threads asking about changing oil, lifting the car, and so on. I have also read many other threads on the same subject.

I had made up my mind that I was going to do it the easy way, and save some money, and be safe, by lifting the car in the middle in the front jacking point, putting my existing rhino ramps under the front wheels, lowering it onto the ramps and do the oil change.....or use wood ramp extenders (woodworking is my hobby) to get up on my ramps and do it.

Now I read in an older post on another forum that the car MUST be level to do the oil change, which screws up all my plans, makes it much more of a chore, and frankly scares the hell out of me to get under.

What's the story? Can it be adequately done with only the front up, or is it mandatory to have it all level?

The car has 250 miles on it at the moment, is a Z51 (dry sump) and I have to figure this out in a day or two or it will sit in my garage until I do.

And no, the dealer is not going to touch it!

Alaskapaul
Old 04-26-2015, 03:33 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

It must be level. The drain plug is near the front of the engine, so if you raise the front you're not going to drain out all the old oil.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:49 PM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

Does this apply to the Z51 (dry sump) as well?
thx
Originally Posted by meyerweb
It must be level. The drain plug is near the front of the engine, so if you raise the front you're not going to drain out all the old oil.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:22 AM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Does this apply to the Z51 (dry sump) as well?
thx
Yes. The Z51 has two drain plugs, one to drain the tank and the other the engine. There is always some oil in the engine, and if the front end is raised you're not going to get that drained out. And I suspect you won't get all the oil out of the tank if it's not level.

And this is true for all cars, not just the Stingray. It's just a bigger hassle on the 'vette because it's so low.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:51 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,896 Likes on 1,300 Posts

I quit changing my own oil at 14 - I'm now 73. I now have more than 600,000 miles in Corvettes, daily driver's all.... these things are not holy relics, they're cars.. take 'em somewhere and be done with it. Good grief!
Old 04-27-2015, 11:16 AM
BlueDevilZ51
Melting Slicks

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts

I changed mine yesterday on ramps. I got over 9.5 quarts out. That's probably 99% of what you'd get out if the car was perfectly level. So doing an oil change on ramps is in no way an issue.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:19 AM
C7DriverOnt
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

I did mine on ramps at 500 miles and the oil out was almost exactly the same amount that went in to fill to the same level. I measured it just to be sure. So ramps don't seem to make a whole lot of difference on the amount you can get out. I don't have a dry sump engine.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:22 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by meyerweb
Actually the engine oil pan sump is drained by the rear(side) plug and that will drain most of the oil that is in the sump. The oil filter is mounted at the rear of then engine and when removed, the oil in the filter and in the engine's oil galleries and the oil cooler will drain.

The front plug drains the large reservoir and most of that oil will drain. A small amount of oil will be held in the cast in place oil line that is in the oil pan, but not much.

If you remove the two drain plugs and the filter and let it completely drain, and then raise the rear of the car to make it level, very little oil will drain out of the front plug. Not enough to worry about.

But if the OP is concerned about getting every ounce of oil out of the system, then after raising the front of the car, and setting it down on the ramps, removing the two plugs and filter and let it drain, then go to the rear of the car and raise it with his floor jack so the car is level, wait for those few ounces oil to drain, then lower the rear of the car back onto it's rear tires, go to the front of the car, install the new oil filter and the two drain plugs, and then raise the front with his floor jack, remove the ramps, then lower the car onto it's front tires, and then pour the new oil into the reservoir.

He does not have to crawl under the car when the rear is raised with his floor jack, so no safety concerns there.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:26 AM
AlaskaPaul
Instructor

Originally Posted by BlueDevilZ51
I changed mine yesterday on ramps. I got over 9.5 quarts out. That's probably 99% of what you'd get out if the car was perfectly level. So doing an oil change on ramps is in no way an issue.

Thanks BlueDevil, that's the answer I was looking for from someone who has done it.......that only front ramps will work rather well, although maybe not perfect.

99% is good enough for me.

I appreciate the feedback. Sure I'm concerned about the oil change, but I don't really care to be **** about it. I have a 2002 Chevy Avalanche with 150k miles on it and still running strong. When I think about the many times I let the oil go way past it's life cycle, I cringe. This is acceptable to me.

Thanks again,

Alaskapaul
Old 04-27-2015, 11:29 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

As pointed out, the dry sump system has very little oil in the oil pan. You are mostly draining the oil sump (which is higher) and the lines.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:30 AM
AlaskaPaul
Instructor

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Actually the engine oil pan sump is drained by the rear(side) plug and that will drain most of the oil that is in the sump. The oil filter is mounted at the rear of then engine and when removed, the oil in the filter and in the engine's oil galleries and the oil cooler will drain.

The front plug drains the large reservoir and most of that oil will drain. A small amount of oil will be held in the cast in place oil line that is in the oil pan, but not much.

If you remove the two drain plugs and the filter and let it completely drain, and then raise the rear of the car to make it level, very little oil will drain out of the front plug. Not enough to worry about.

But if the OP is concerned about getting every ounce of oil out of the system, then after raising the front of the car, and setting it down on the ramps, removing the two plugs and filter and let it drain, then go to the rear of the car and raise it with his floor jack so the car is level, wait for those few ounces oil to drain, then lower the rear of the car back onto it's rear tires, go to the front of the car, install the new oil filter and the two drain plugs, and then raise the front with his floor jack, remove the ramps, then lower the car onto it's front tires, and then pour the new oil into the reservoir.

He does not have to crawl under the car when the rear is raised with his floor jack, so no safety concerns there.

Great suggestion, thank you. As I have said numerous time on this forum, being a newbie to Corvettes is a learning process and I appreciate all of the kind folks who lend their experience to that process.

Thanks

Alaskapaul
Old 04-27-2015, 11:40 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
I quit changing my own oil at 14 - I'm now 73. I now have more than 600,000 miles in Corvettes, daily driver's all.... these things are not holy relics, they're cars.. take 'em somewhere and be done with it. Good grief!

I'll be 73 in a couple of months and I change the oil in all four of my vehicles plus the riding lawnmower.

No big deal, but I do have two 4 post lifts so I'm not crawling around on my back to change the oil. Plus I have way more experience changing oil and filters then the flunkies at a oil change place(including a Chevrolet dealer). Been doing my own oil and filter changes since my Mom owned an Esso station in the late 1950's(when I was in high school).

Plus I know that there are two fittings on my rear toe links that need greasing on my C6 Z06. I doubt that they would be greased at a quick lube place or even a Chevrolet dealer.

In addition, it gives me a chance to inspect the bottom of my car, including the tires, that a flunky isn't going to take the time to do.

Last edited by JoesC5; 04-27-2015 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:28 PM
ratman6161
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60

I guess maybe in a few years when I retire I may start doing more myself. But right now, my time is the most critically short resource in my life. Plus, while I know the theory on how things work, I'm very short on practical/usable skills. And if the dealer screws it up, I have some recourse while if I screw something up I'm.....screwed Finally, if I can't trust the dealer to do an oil change its time to find a new dealer cause what will I do if something serious happens???? Just saying....

Get notified of new replies

To Another Oil Change Question From The Newbie

Quick Reply: Another Oil Change Question From The Newbie