C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I must live in the best place for car bodies.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 01:38 PM
SMFCPACFP
Safety Car

Received 101 Likes on 39 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default I must live in the best place for car bodies.

I see that many people are putting plastic all over the finish of their new Corvette. I think to myself, "Are they saving it for the next owner?", or "Do all of these guys live on gravel roads, or race in the dirt?".

I am getting ready to sell my 2007 VY Z06 with just under 50,000 miles. I was washing it today and I notice that there were no stone chips on the front or around the wheel wells and brake ducts. OK, I didn't conduct my inspection with an electron microscope, but I do live in an area with a harsh cold climate, although I haven't had my Vette out in bad conditions. I looked at my 50,000 mile car carefully and saw nothing!!

I am also thinking does the C7 (I just purchased a 2015 VY Z06 this week) have a poorer paint job that my 2007?

Should I cover it in plastic for the next guy?
Old 04-28-2015, 01:54 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

No plastic on mine either - I do NOT do much highway driving with it; i recognize that can take a toll on the front end finish. I also don't follow people closely and watch out for trucks with no mud flaps, don't tailgate people, etc. It's everyone's choice but I personally dislike the appearance of the plastic.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:11 PM
silky1
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

You are going to get rock chips in this one. I don't think it has anything to do with the paint quality. The tires are super sticky. Most likely on the rockers and lower door. I got one the second week I had it. I have XPEL on the nose, headlights, and rockers.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:11 PM
tpapablo
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For what it is worth, I started out thinking that I would get expel on the high risk areas. But, then I decided that I didn't need to because, like you, I hadn't got a single chip on my C6 over my 5 years of ownership. Well, detailed the Z this past weekend and saw about a dozen chips/blemishes on the front and on the rear brake ducts.That's with under 2000 miles. So, I am going to put excel on those areas.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:13 PM
johnnypro
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Well if you're insinuating that it's not worth it I'd say quite simply that you're wrong. Depending on how **** you are about your finish, it's definitely worth it.

For the record, I did NOT put Xpel or any other kind of plasticy film protection on my car, nor do I intend to (I don't like how it looks). With that said, I already have 3 clearly visible dents on the front end of my car presumably caused by pebbles flying at me. The first one I got about 50 miles in! And I only have about 1500 miles on my car. By the time it hits 50,000 I'm sure it will be much worse. Maybe it's just the area I live in (Northern NJ), but those damn rocks are all over the place.

With that said, it doesn't really bother me that much. If it ever gets too bad I'll just have the whole area replaced, the part probably costs the same as a professional Xpel installation anyway.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:21 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Wrapping your car in plastic is analogous to covering your furniture in plastic. I am going to drive my Corvette and enjoy it. If it gets some dings, so be it. Life is too short at my age to worry about things like this.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:26 PM
LEJ ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

We live in Florida and we have these things they call "love bugs". They come out twice a year, sometime in May and again in September. They get really bad in some areas and if you drive your Corvette at all you will run into them. They aren't very hearty and when you hit them, even at slow speed, they squish all over. And you always hit them 2 at a time. That's how they travel, mated together.

Their juice is very acidic. I don't care how often or how well you clean them off you aren't going to get them all. Anywhere you miss one on a painted surface it will eat into the paint and leave a pit. Over a period of years you just can't help getting some paint damage from these little buggers.

The only way I know to keep the original finish looking good is to cover the frontal areas with film. I headed to the film shop as soon as I took delivery of my car. After about 6 years the plastic film was showing acne marks and I went back and had it replaced. The shop turned the old film in to the manufacturer and received a rebate for the cost of the material. The installer passed that savings on to me.

I'll probably go back again in a couple of years and have the film replaced again.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:35 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

I drove my C6 over 5 years and had a couple of small chips. Filled them in with drcolorchip. Now with my C7 if I get any chips I will do the same.
Spending the money some owners do to cover the car in plastic is crazy.
What is even more insane after spending upwards of $800.00 these owners now start worrying about damage to the clearwrap.
It looks terrible, cost way too much.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:44 PM
rstrait
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in the sticks two miles from the nearest paved road on a poorly maintained tar and chip road. My Corvette is fairly clean from when I wash it in town until I'm on my road heading home. Can;t wash it at home due to the well water having salt in it and it wouldn't do any good since by the time I hit the highway it would have dust on it. Oh, and there's the local rednecks driving toward my on the road going 50 MPH, where there's barely room to pass a car coming toward you, slinging bits of the chip part of the, "tar and chip," road at my car as they go by. So I got the Expel on the likeliest areas to get damage. First world problems and all, but it'd be nice to be able to have a clean car when I head out.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:47 PM
Elegant1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't even use a bra anymore. It's all a waste of time and money IMO.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:53 PM
C7DriverOnt
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

I have the 3M paint protection on the front bumper, up to the hood opening, the rocker panels and front of the mirrors. Much easier cleaning the bugs off and no damage to the paint. The rocker panels on these cars take a beating because of the sticky tires. Well worth it to put it in some selective spots, wrapping the whole car, that I don't get.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:17 PM
noel48
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by dvilin
I drove my C6 over 5 years and had a couple of small chips. Filled them in with drcolorchip. Now with my C7 if I get any chips I will do the same.
What is even more insane after spending upwards of $800.00 these owners now start worrying about damage to the clearwrap.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:27 PM
Splitter
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Wrapping your car in plastic is analogous to covering your furniture in plastic. I am going to drive my Corvette and enjoy it. If it gets some dings, so be it. Life is too short at my age to worry about things like this.

I'm a young guy and think the same way.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:41 PM
MADMANC7
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
I have to disagree. My XPEL looks great, and it gives me peace of mind. I do a lot of highway driving and My C5 was starting to look like it was sand blasted! Got 3M on my C6 (not great, but protected well), so getting it for the C7 was an easy decision. I'm also moving to Germany, so a nice finish won't hurt the resale value in 2 or 3 years. As always, this is a personal choice. I didn't do it for the next guy, I did it for ME.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:19 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,362 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Life is too short to drive around with a nice car with rock chips on it.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:30 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodson
Life is too short to drive around with a nice car with rock chips on it.
Exactly, and no one knows it's on there anyhow, unless I tell them and then they say, "Oh, ya, I see it now." Also helps if you track your car.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:37 PM
jrainlay
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone who lives in the Phoenix area knows paint protection is a must if you intend to drive your car and want to keep the finish looking good. Same reason all auto insurance policies out here carry glass coverage as a standard feature.

Get notified of new replies

To I must live in the best place for car bodies.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:46 PM
Algiers
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went back on forth on the Xpel and finally decided not to get it. I completely get why people use it but for me the price seemed too excessive. So far at 5K I have had one rock chip that was easily fixed with Dr. Colorchip. I do have side skirts though and they have done a lot to protect the rockers.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:07 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by jrainlay
Anyone who lives in the Phoenix area knows paint protection is a must if you intend to drive your car and want to keep the finish looking good. Same reason all auto insurance policies out here carry glass coverage as a standard feature.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:06 PM
Bavaria
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 93 Posts

Novistretch bra. 'Nuf said.

Quick Reply: I must live in the best place for car bodies.