Sponsored by:

Z51 eLSD Display

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 01:21 AM
BIC
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Z51 eLSD Display

I am trying to understand the Z51 eLSD indicator and the manual is not very helpful. It says:

"eLSD and Wheel Slip: Displays when the Electronic Limited Slip
Differential (eLSD) is active and intervening with the vehicle’s normal
operation. The display also displays slip percentage in a range of low,
medium, and high."

Driving straight & steady on the highway shows a number at the top of about 8-12%. Took me a while to realize the bottom of the gauge was not malfunctioning. At first glance, it appears the left wheel is 0% and the right is 30%. After a while, I saw tiny green bars on the left towards zero; the bottom is graphical interpretation of the easy to read percentage at the top. Not really a range of low, medium & high as stated in the manual but guess they're referring to the bar graph on the bottom.

Anyway, what does the percentage number mean? Why is the eLSD active while driving straight & steady on the highway? Thanks.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:51 AM
beekeeper
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Electronic limited slip

The way I understand it, it is like a mechanical limited slip differential, when one wheel starts to spin it mechanically locks the other wheel with the use of a clutch. With the electronic limited slip differential it can apply the optimum amount of clutch engagement to give both drive wheels power without locking the differential which causes traction problems while in a turn.

So the number is the percent of power, or clutch engagement between the two rear wheels. It remains active as it is always monitoring inputs like throttle, yaw, steering angle and most importantly slip between the two wheels.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:23 AM
BIC
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Yes, that makes sense. Given that, it seems counter-intuitive for it to be active on a straight Interstate, dry, steady 65 MPH, no lane changes, no turns, steady throttle. Nothing should be slipping under those conditions.

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 eLSD Display

Quick Reply: Z51 eLSD Display