C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mom And Baby Killed, 2 Boys Hurt in DUI Crash (2014 Corvette)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 11:40 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Tragic.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:01 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

If that is him a pic of one drinking is not a very good idea.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:00 AM
quadeddie
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ILuvUMan
Innocent until PROVEN guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.
Or unless he was the one driving, admitted to driving, and the two dead people didn't kill themselves. It's a pretty obvious case that we can make prejudgements on without having to pretend that the guy is innocent.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:45 AM
Disavowed
Instructor

****ing *******! Really? look at his FB pic. Red solo cup at a party. The city has taxi shuttles waiting for the public to use. Let me guess. His take: My C7 is too important to be left in a parking lot. I need to make sure it gets home so it doesn't get scratched.

I know I should follow innocent until proven otherwise, but he stated he was driving. I truly hope I'm proven wrong and he was sober. Looking at his FB pic and the event he drove from. I don't think I'm going to be wrong, but I hope so. Even if sober, he was driving like a POS, for his car to be that far off the road in a residential area, where the speed limit is usually lowered to 35 mph ish.

I really feel bad for the father left behind. What a devastating blow. Wife and kid gone all at once. How tragic.

Last edited by Disavowed; 05-04-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:48 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I tend to agree, but unfortunately they will charge him with a lesser offense.
With the Republik of Kalifornia with the crazy laws here and mentality they would ban wine, wine festivals and Corvettes.
We know DUI is against the law but it continues

Last edited by LS WON; 05-04-2015 at 02:12 AM.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:12 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

Well, any ******** can go buy a Corvette. Maybe there should be an intelligence quotient for owning anything above 200 horsepower. You Tube is full of morons with powerful cars doing stupid stuff. Heck, I've done stupid stuff with less than 200 hp. When I was young and dumb. So far, 4 months in and 3000 miles, I haven't seen 100 mph on my dic (sounds so wrong) cuz I don't have a safe place to do that. But I do get on the interstate with great gusto. BTW I bought the Corvette for style and luxury, not for speed.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:22 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

awful-ruined lives including his. Only an idiot would get behind the wheel drunk-make that only an idiot would drive to a wine tasting event without a backup driver. Throw the book at him.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:29 AM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,497 Likes on 1,008 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

http://www.gofundme.com/tnamy8
Old 05-04-2015, 11:16 AM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

I live only about 20 miles from where this happened. It was all over the news this morning. The guy must have been flying to end up there. He's been charged with vehicular manslaughter. Hope he gets punished and goes to the big house, but nothing will ever bring back the people he killed.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:28 AM
Mr Guns
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I have very little experience with breathalyzers, but 0.13 doesn't sound that intoxicated, considering the legal limit in my state is 0.08, and used to be 0.10. Obviously he shouldn't have been driving, but I wouldn't think 0.13 would be so hammered that you couldn't keep it in the road.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:44 AM
lottavettes
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Guns
I have very little experience with breathalyzers, but 0.13 doesn't sound that intoxicated, considering the legal limit in my state is 0.08, and used to be 0.10. Obviously he shouldn't have been driving, but I wouldn't think 0.13 would be so hammered that you couldn't keep it in the road.
Most people over .08 can't pass the street test. .013 is over 50% higher.

80mph on a residential street is insane. They should take everything he's got while he's in the slam.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:47 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Threads merged
Old 05-04-2015, 12:05 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

Very tragic for all. A stupid decision that destroyed so many lives.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:15 PM
Disavowed
Instructor

I do have experience with them. I use one at work, and I bought one for my personal use so that I'm always certain I'm OK to drive if I've been drinking. That way I don't just wait a bit and think I'm OK to drive. I wait until I know I'm OK to drive. Which is under a .06 for me just so I know I'm more than legally OK.

Like mentioned above most folks over .08 won't pass the sobriety field tests. I know for certain I'm pretty jacked up at 1.0 and if I'm drinking on little or no sleep I'm pretty jacked up at .08. I also know for certain it takes several drinks to get to the .08 level, not "just 2 beers". For most folks 2 beers isn't going to be near .08 More likely to be about .02-.04. At .13 he was close to double the legal limit and if most folks can't do well at .08 then .13 is going to make them way worse. From dealing with many folks at work who are .12-.16 and beyond, I know they don't function well.

Last edited by Disavowed; 05-04-2015 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:46 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

It's more than enough to land a 460hp car in some dude's backyard, trust me. Especially if you start out as a dbag before you even take one drink.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:50 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

I weight around 185 and calculated I'd have to drink 4 beers in a hour to get to .08. Then maybe a beer an hour to stay at .08. .13 or whatever is a lot of drinking for the average guy...
Old 05-04-2015, 01:10 PM
Disavowed
Instructor

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
I weight around 185 and calculated I'd have to drink 4 beers in a hour to get to .08. Then maybe a beer an hour to stay at .08. .13 or whatever is a lot of drinking for the average guy...
This! Daffy you're spot on IMO.

Get notified of new replies

To Mom And Baby Killed, 2 Boys Hurt in DUI Crash (2014 Corvette)

Old 05-04-2015, 01:14 PM
Mr Guns
Drifting

I guess it takes more than what I thought to get to 0.08. When they changed it from 0.10, I heard people complain that they couldn't even have two drinks at the bar without being over the limit. Based on that, I was assuming that if you could feel it AT ALL, you were over the limit. Like I said, I have no personal experience with breathalyzers. I was made to blow once because I left a bar and had a tag light out. I was there to see a band I liked. I hadn't drank anything, did everything right, and he still made me blow. I think the cop was disappointed when I blew a zero.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:28 PM
Disavowed
Instructor

I guess it takes more than what I thought to get to 0.08. When they changed it from 0.10, I heard people complain that they couldn't even have two drinks at the bar without being over the limit. Based on that, I was assuming that if you could feel it AT ALL, you were over the limit. Like I said, I have no personal experience with breathalyzers. I was made to blow once because I left a bar and had a tag light out. I was there to see a band I liked. I hadn't drank anything, did everything right, and he still made me blow. I think the cop was disappointed when I blew a zero.
Yes it does take a bit to get to .08. You're no different than most folks when you say that you thought 2 drinks would put you over the legal limit. That's pretty common thought, it's just not accurate thought.

BTW, unless the cop smelled alcohol on you, or from the car (maybe emitting from another person) he has no probable cause (PC) to make you take a breath test. Just driving with a light out from a bar isn't enough PC for a breath test. He has to articulate a reason to believe you'd been drinking alcohol. Assuming what you said was true, (I have no reason not to believe you) and you didn't have a passenger who could have been emitting an odor of alcohol that could be mistaken as coming from you. The cop was out of line. He shouldn't have been disappointed you were a .0 he should have been disappointed in himself for poaching at a bar (not legal) and bending the rules to get a breath test. Again, this is assuming what you said was true. There's always 2 sides to every story and we don't know the cops side.

I retire as a LEO in 30 months. I can honestly say I've NEVER ONCE bent the rules, or broken the rules to enforce the rules. Even when you play by the rules there's still plenty of work to be done and arrests to be made. I was told by a veteran cop when I first hired on in academy. "The only thing this job can't take from you is your integrity. You have to give that away yourself and when you do you can never get it back, so don't lose it". I was about to be caught in a white lie and before I could finish he told me that. I then told him exactly what happened and I've lived by those words ever since.

Last edited by Disavowed; 05-08-2015 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:44 PM
Mr Guns
Drifting

Originally Posted by Disavowed
Yes it does take a bit to get to .08. You're no different than most folks when you say that you thought 2 drinks would put you over the legal limit. That's pretty common thought, it's just not accurate thought.

BTW, unless the cop smelled alcohol on you, or from the car (maybe emitting from another person) he has no probable cause (PC) to make you take a breath test. Just driving with a light out from a bar isn't enough PC for a breath test. He has to articulate a reason to believe you'd been drinking alcohol. Assuming what you said was true, (I have no reason not to believe you) and you didn't have a passenger who could have been emitting an odor of alcohol that could be mistaken as coming from you. The cop was out of line. He shouldn't have been disappointed you were a .0 he should have been disappointed in himself for poaching at a bar (not legal) and bending the rules to get a breath test. Again, this is assuming what you said was true. There's always 2 sides to every story and we don't know the cops side.
Good info. He was definitely poaching the bar. As soon as I left, he pulled out and came up behind me. He followed me for 1/4 mile, and pulled me over when I was about to get on the interstate. I knew what it was all about. My wife was with me, but neither of us had drank anything. I did everything right as far as interaction with the cop. I have a concealed carry permit, so I'm always extra cautious to not make an officer uncomfortable. I turned the interior light on, hands on the wheel, and respectful to the officer. He asked if I had been drinking or if I was the DD, and I told him neither of us drank anything. He had me get out of the car, patted me down, and had me blow. I got back in the car and he returned with my license. He said that he smelled alcohol in the car and that we probably had it on our shoes from the bar floor, and in the future we should wipe them off. Did he really smell anything? Probably not. I wasn't worried about it as I hadn't drank. It was just an inconvenience.

Quick Reply: Mom And Baby Killed, 2 Boys Hurt in DUI Crash (2014 Corvette)