C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mom And Baby Killed, 2 Boys Hurt in DUI Crash (2014 Corvette)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 06:41 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

This happen just 1 day prior to 35 year anniversary of Candace Lightner's daughter, Cari, being killed by a drunk driver here in my hometown of Fair Oaks, Ca. Candace is the person responsible for the start of MADD ( mother against drunk driving)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candy_Lightner
Old 05-06-2015, 11:07 PM
Disavowed
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bapd77
It takes about 3 hrs vs 1 hr. From my name you can tell im an LEO. I do it quite often. I rarely do blood unless something other than alcohol is suspected. Can take the entire shift.
See for us, (LEO as well, Vegas PD) they take exact same amount of time to do the tests. In fact, even faster for blood, due to no observation period and the data input for the intoxilyzer. Blood is VERY fast and easy. Our booking facility at county has 2-4 blood draw nurses on staff 24/7. So it's walk in do a blood draw and move on or do breath and move on, but in NV we have to give THEM the choice. Unless it's a felony DUI or DUI drugs then it has to be blood and felony is 2 blood draws one hour apart. If they refuse the blood we're required to get a search warrant. Then it would take longer, but if they won't do blood they're not likely to do breath, and we're right back to doing a forced blood draw after we get a warrant.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:12 PM
Disavowed
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AttyVette
I just want to preface my later statements with the statement that there is NO excuse imo for driving while intoxicated...period. I have personally seen crime scene photographs of innocent victims minding there own business when an intoxicated oerson runs over them killing or seriously injuring them or their family members or friends. I have talked to numerous people during voir dire of dwi and bwi cases and many people seem to want the prosecution to prove a person was basically falling down drunk not just intoxicated to find someone guilty of dwi..there is ca big difference in the two things intoxicated and drunk. Also the Mindset of some people who think but for by the grace of God that could have have been them now on trial right now....I have actually had people tell me that when I was conducting a voir dire of a dwi case ,they didn't want to convict someone because they just " made a mistake".... I have won dwi cases (and have also lost other dwi cases ) where the judge would not let me introduce evidence in the case because the judge ruled it was more prejudicial than probative to the case. I recall one particular man getting multiple misdemeanor dwi cases ( only one conviction) because he got good at beating the system. All those things disgust me!!

I want to make it clear that my heart is always for the innocent parties minding their own business when someone else chooses to do what they did that then changed the victims life and the victims families lives forever. I am praying for the family of the woman and her 14 month old daughter killed in this incident ( as well as the two injured children that were hurt ) but I won't call it an accident because a person chose to drink and choose to drive his car after he had been drinking so this incident was not unforeseeable imo..he apparently (according to news articles ) is remorseful for what happened but he can't take it back, none of us can change what happened. I am praying that justice ( as best as the law can be served in this terrible case) be served. That being said, I am also praying for this man who is accused of these crimes , as he will have to live with the consequences of what occurred for the rest of his life! I pray that he tells others (whether convicted or not) the truth about what happened and that he will spend the rest of his life warning others what can happen and did happen in own personal case..

I pray for this accused mans wife as I am sure that she is suffering too ( differently than the decedents family of course but she and his other loved ones are victims of his actions too..collateral damage) ..there are no winners in this incident...only losers.
Well put.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:23 PM
ersin
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AttyVette
...I pray that he tells others (whether convicted or not) the truth about what happened and that he will spend the rest of his life warning others what can happen and did happen in own personal case..
My guess is that he'll be spending most, if not all of the rest of his life behind bars.

Cheers.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:25 AM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,497 Likes on 1,008 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

East Bay wine festival organizers revisiting protocols in wake of tragic Livermore crash

http://www.mercurynews.com/my-town/c...protocols-wake
Old 05-07-2015, 09:08 PM
coupeguyz51
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

Ya know the title of this thread "Mom And Baby Killed, 2 Boys Hurt in DUI Crash (2014 Corvette)" really misses the point...
Just as a hypothetical thread posted by the Brady Bunch "Mom And Baby Killed, Two Boys Hurt in Assault Rifle Driveby" misses the point...

It is not the tool (car/gun) that actually delivers the blunt force/penetrating trauma resulting the cessation of life that is at issue, as much as some seem to make it so,
But the SCUMBAG who was wielding the tool who is the issue, and for whom excuse after excuse is made when the case gets to court (poverty, addiction, ptsd, etc, etc, all bulls..t) and the wimpy judges that buy into it that are the real issue/problem....
Old 05-07-2015, 09:27 PM
LS14ME2
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Quick Silver Z
East Bay wine festival organizers revisiting protocols in wake of tragic Livermore crash

The fact of the matter is, he may not have had one sip of the festival wine/beer.. It is an open festival in downtown Livermore, there are many bars and restaurants with bars and he could have been at any one of them, and I would bet that would be a more likely scenario.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:25 PM
MTCWBY
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quick Silver Z

The accident happened over 2 hours after the festival stopped serving so I have to wonder if he went somewhere else in between. The direction of travel, the festival location and his house aren't quite consistent in coming from the festival.

I'm in Livermore and this guy was a neighbor of friend and was known to drive way too fast on residential streets with lots of neighbors complaining. The crash site is a 35 zone with a relatively sharp curve that's sloped the wrong way. I have to drive by it every day on the way home from work. It looks like the road curved and he didn't.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:45 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

Default Charged and arrested

Charged with two murder counts, Jones faces two counts of felony driving under the influence of alcohol, causing injury, as well as multiple victim and excessive speed clauses.

Link.....
http://patch.com/california/livermor...om-baby-girl-0

Link indicates he drove thru the area at speed of 75 to 99 MPH....I would think this area would be 35 to 40 MPH max. Guess they found the black box........screwed for good.

Last edited by John A. Marker; 05-22-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:58 PM
Skidplate
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by John A. Marker
Charged with two murder counts, Jones faces two counts of felony driving under the influence of alcohol, causing injury, as well as multiple victim and excessive speed clauses.

Link.....

Link indicates he drove thru the area at speed of 75 to 99 MPH....I would think this area would be 35 to 40 MPH max. Guess they found the black box........screwed for good.
Try this link:
Old 05-22-2015, 08:12 PM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Skidplate
thank you. this guy made an awful mistake, but should pay the price.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:07 AM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by John A. Marker

Link.....

If the Orwellian device was found, it would have a specific speed, not 75 to 99. However according to this website
http://www.harristechnical.com/wp-co...S_CDR_List.pdf 2014 C7s do not have the intrusive, and reeking of Patriot Act offensiveness, EDR. Something that makes me happy. Don't take that to mean I'm ok with his behavior; this guy needs the book thrown at him. But one does not need a EDR to prove drunkeness and high speeds. The exact speed is irrelevant. It was high enough to completely destroy the car. No doubt well in excess of the posted limit.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:17 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by golden2husky
If the Orwellian device was found, it would have a specific speed, not 75 to 99. However according to this website
http://www.harristechnical.com/wp-co...S_CDR_List.pdf 2014 C7s do not have the intrusive, and reeking of Patriot Act offensiveness, EDR. Something that makes me happy. Don't take that to mean I'm ok with his behavior; this guy needs the book thrown at him. But one does not need a EDR to prove drunkeness and high speeds. The exact speed is irrelevant. It was high enough to completely destroy the car. No doubt well in excess of the posted limit.
Is this that blackbox that is suppose to record the driver responses and vehicle speed before a collision?
Old 05-27-2015, 02:02 AM
bimmerborn
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 120 Posts

News says "onboard computer shows the car was going 99 mph"

http://wn.ktvu.com/clip/11537268/ple...nts-appearance
Old 05-27-2015, 11:09 AM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

This d-bag is getting the book thrown at him, and rightfully so. He's been charged with 2 counts of murder, DUI, and is being held without bail. I'm not a LEO, nor am I a lawyer, so don't understand the distinction between a charge of murder and vehicular manslaughter. My wife and I discussed it this morning and neither of us get it, except maybe they are making an example of the guy. As for being held without bail, they must feel he's a flight risk.

The d-bag's life is over. He's no doubt lost his job, he's in the slammer (I'm sure he's tremendously enjoying that experience), his wife should be packing her bags if she has any sense, and the civil suit is right around the corner. Oh, and he'll be in the big house for God knows how long and a felon to boot.

I feel for the family of those injured.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:12 AM
MTCWBY
Heel & Toe

75 is way too fast for that curve and 99 is crazy. Frankly 50 is too fast because not only is the curve banked wrong but that whole stretch of road has numerous exits with lots of traffic. Because of the curve and vegetation you're blind at a lot of points. He's going to jail for a long time.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:45 AM
Iavan74
1st Gear

[COLOR=#00b050][FONT=arial][COLOR=Black]Yeah even I tried opening the URL. Doesn’t work for me either. I though think it would be him as I found this info on other websites but can’t say anything. Even I asked my cousin who works with a Los Angeles DUI lawyer but even he had no idea.

Last edited by savewave; 05-29-2015 at 08:20 AM. Reason: No off-linking to commercial websites

Get notified of new replies

To Mom And Baby Killed, 2 Boys Hurt in DUI Crash (2014 Corvette)

Old 05-09-2016, 05:22 PM
xwing
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

To bring up an old thread: It appears the trial still hasn't started. This article from last month mentions that he will be charged with murder...
http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-cou...dui-crash-that

Last edited by xwing; 05-09-2016 at 05:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
C7 x 2 (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 08:17 PM
C7 x 2
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts

I just read this entire thread and beside it making me very sad I feel compelled to comment on some misconceptions regarding drinking and driving. As a former LEO, 32 yrs. now retired, there were many posts in this thread about the need to be intoxicated to be arrested and probable cause to be asked to submit to a field breath test. Many decades ago the charge for drinking & driving or drunk driving was Driving while Intoxicated (DWI). That pretty much limited this statute to strictly alcohol consumption. When drugs, legal or not began to be commonly used most states changed their statutes to Driving Under the Influence (DUI). This encompasses anything that might impair the ability to drive. The smell of alcohol is not required to establish probable cause to administer field sobriety tests if the LEO has observed questionable driving. You can be charged with DUI if your prescribed medication causes impairment. I have arrested & convicted people for DUI when they hadn't drank a drop---but they had been sniffing spray paint aka huffing or taking drugs or medications. You don't need to be falling down or unable to walk or over .08 to be in violation, you just need to be under the influence and some people can be wiped out on 2 beers ie. a cheap drunk. Just saying you may be under .08 blood alcohol but if you are weaving all over the road, blowing thru intersections and running other vehicles off the road you are probable going to be getting arrested.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:32 PM
vettman96
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Another douchebag with a right foot that is out of control, and we all pay for that.

Quick Reply: Mom And Baby Killed, 2 Boys Hurt in DUI Crash (2014 Corvette)