Sponsored by:

Release on driver & passenger seats

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 12:50 PM
HIHO
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Release on driver & passenger seats

I have not seen anyone post this yet, so here goes.

On my C4 & C5 if you wanted to release the back of the passenger seat while in the drivers seat, it was very simple by releasing the latch on the top back of the seat. It made it very simple if you were storing towels or other things behind the seat.

Not so on the C7, to release the passenger or driver seat the latch is near the bottom of the seat on the outward side. So if you are in the drivers seat, you have to get out of the car, go around to the passenger side and release the mechanism. Doesn't sound like much but is certainly a pain in the rear.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:33 PM
chipsvette06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HIHO

On my C4 & C5 if you wanted to release the back of the passenger seat while in the drivers seat, it was very simple by releasing the latch on the top back of the seat. It made it very simple if you were storing towels or other things behind the seat.

Not so on the C7, to release the passenger or driver seat the latch is near the bottom of the seat on the outward side. So if you are in the drivers seat, you have to get out of the car, go around to the passenger side and release the mechanism. Doesn't sound like much but is certainly a pain in the rear.
If I understand your question I don't believe you are correct. It is true that to pull the back forward you do need to use the latch handle at the bottom of the seat. However,when you want the seats pulled back to their normal position you just pull them back. No need to use the bottom seat latch.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:43 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,920 Likes on 4,806 Posts

No big deal.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:58 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

The C7 has limit sensors behind the seats. Need to be very careful not to place objects behind the seats that will trigger these limit switches as that will cause the power seat movement to be disabled until the sensors are no longer triggered.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:31 PM
HIHO
Racer

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
The C7 has limit sensors behind the seats. Need to be very careful not to place objects behind the seats that will trigger these limit switches as that will cause the power seat movement to be disabled until the sensors are no longer triggered.
If that is the case, then there should be a warning label on the seat and in the operators manual.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:33 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

If that is the case, then there should be a warning label on the seat and in the operators manual.
I assure you, this is the case. I'm almost positive I read a warning somewhere, but I have not been able to locate it - yet.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:33 PM
HIHO
Racer

Originally Posted by chipsvette06
If I understand your question I don't believe you are correct. It is true that to pull the back forward you do need to use the latch handle at the bottom of the seat. However,when you want the seats pulled back to their normal position you just pull them back. No need to use the bottom seat latch.
The issue is moving the back of the forward, not back to its normal position.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:23 PM
chipsvette06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The issue is moving the back of the forward, not back to its normal position.
Got it. My arms are long enough to reach the lever and not have to get out of the car.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:22 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,605 Likes on 6,618 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
I assure you, this is the case. I'm almost positive I read a warning somewhere, but I have not been able to locate it - yet.
Remembered the same thing and found this in the Owner's Manual:
Page 3-25 Warning
Stowing of articles under the passenger seat or between the passenger seat cushion and seatback may interfere with the proper operation of the passenger sensing system.

Not the warning about storing items behind the seat but similar.

Last edited by JerryU; 05-06-2015 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:58 PM
HIHO
Racer

Originally Posted by JerryU
Remembered the same thing and found this in the Owner's Manual:
Page 3-25 Warning
Stowing of articles under the passenger seat or between the passenger seat cushion and seatback may interfere with the proper operation of the passenger sensing system.

Not the warning about storing items behind the seat but similar.
I read the warning in the op manual, so I stand corrected. Maybe that is the reason the release mechanism is on the outboard side.

Regardless, I do wish there was more room to store items in the vert. I have a 3 week 4,000 mile trip coming up this summer, so storage space will be a major challange.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:38 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Page 3-2:

Seat Travel Limit
If a seat is moved all the way to the
rear and/or the seatback is reclined
so that it makes contact with the
carpet, all rearward seat movement
will stop. Normal operation of the
seat will resume when the seatback
is no longer in contact with the
carpet. This is normal.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:42 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

I know what you mean, exactly. Seat back release is awkward to reach while seated in the C7. Its in the usual place for most cars, outside and low on the back. C4, and I guess C5 (never owned one) is high and centered on the back of the seat, easy to reach from a seated position. I always stored my Atlas behind the seat in my C4. I still store it there on my C7. Wife doesn't put the seat all the way back so no issue so far with seat travel and sensor blockage. Oh well.... it is what it is.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:30 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,605 Likes on 6,618 Posts

Originally Posted by Frodo
I know what you mean, exactly. Seat back release is awkward to reach while seated in the C7. Its in the usual place for most cars, outside and low on the back. C4, and I guess C5 (never owned one) is high and centered on the back of the seat, easy to reach from a seated position. I always stored my Atlas behind the seat in my C4. I still store it there on my C7. Wife doesn't put the seat all the way back so no issue so far with seat travel and sensor blockage. Oh well.... it is what it is.
In stating how much better the seat in the C7 was than the C6 it was mentioned the C6 seat back latch was not very effective. When latched it still had a lot of back and forward movement. Never bothered me but it wasn't like the C7 which is very secure. Similar to the thick porous layer added under the leather to allow air circulation for the “new cooling feature;” it causes a delay in effective seat heat! Some gains some loses!

Last edited by JerryU; 05-07-2015 at 07:34 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Release on driver & passenger seats

Quick Reply: Release on driver & passenger seats