Lemon Law - Excessive Oil Consumption - Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 02:57 PM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by flytrade
Some of you are confusing depreciation with diminished value. We all know what depreciation is, and that cost belongs to the owner. Diminished value means that I did not get the car that I paid for, and the value of the car continues to lessen as they perform more maintenance. That cost should not be on me, but on the manufacturer. Where is the 5 pounds of sugar that I paid for?
If they replace the defective parts with OEM new parts then yes you did get the exact car you paid for. The perceived diminished value is only if someone cares that the car had maintenance performed.

What about the people who had to have their navigation screens replaced? Or their water pump replaced? At what point does warranty work justify a new car? It simply doesn't, not for a part or two...even if it is a major part.

How can you prove how much your car has diminished in value because they replaced a part under warranty? Will you get the subjective opinion of people who just say they might not pay as much? That would be a nearly impossible thing to prove.

I honestly feel like you're just upset that the car has problems, and you wanted a cherry perfect car to cherish and to hold. And to some extent, I understand. But asking them to replace the whole car because a part went bad is unrealistic.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:22 PM
flytrade
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If they replace the engine the vin numbers do not match, and if they fix the engine there is a trail of maintenance records. Each diminishes the value of the car, and this is not my fault - it's the manufacturer's fault. Since they are at fault - they should pay - not me.
As far as being owed a new car, that is not my opinion but rather what is stated in the FL Lemon Law. If the value is impaired I have a choice of either my money back or a new car. That is their rule and it's in writing.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:25 PM
flytrade
Advanced

BTW - replacing the alternator, water pump, PCV valve, etc. are minor items external to the engine and do not materially diminish the value of the car. What I'm talking about is major work to the car.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:25 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I've owned a 90s LT1, 2 LS1s, and LS3, LS7, and now a 2014 LT-1

Not one of them has ever consumed an ounce of oil. I measure what I drain out compared to what I put in and I keep and eye on the dipstick at Gas fill ups.

I don't know if I'm just extremely lucky or if it has to do with driving style or maintenance (religious about 3k miles) Over the years with each model there have been rants about oil consumption.

As for advice about what to do? Lemon law if you can but if not -- Trade it in to the repairing dealer. If they ding you for the engine work then sue them for it. Obviously it bothers you, so get rid of the car after it is fixed and move on.

Last edited by jedblanks; 05-07-2015 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:38 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

If they replace the engine the vin numbers do not match, and if they fix the engine there is a trail of maintenance records. Each diminishes the value of the car, and this is not my fault - it's the manufacturer's fault. Since they are at fault - they should pay - not me.
As far as being owed a new car, that is not my opinion but rather what is stated in the FL Lemon Law. If the value is impaired I have a choice of either my money back or a new car. That is their rule and it's in writing.
Matching numbers only mean something with collector cars, usually decades old. It means nothing for new cars and doesn't add to or diminish the value at all.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:00 PM
Elegant1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The way I understand it they no longer VIN stamp the engines.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:56 PM
Flying22low
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How The Florida Lemon Law Works

The Lemon Law covers defects or conditions that substantially impair the use, value or safety of a new or demonstrator vehicle (these are called "nonconformities").

Thats pretty clear. It would seem to be a matter if the value is substantially diminished. If the fix is to replace the engine, I wouldn't think you are going to lose value on the car. I think you already have lost pride of ownership, which is the most valuable part of a corvette.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:05 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Is this a lease, and you plan on returning it, no one cares you have your residual.
Own it and selling it in a few years. might make slight difference, keeping it for 5+ years then sell and had no problems, should not make any difference to a buyer, no diminished value.
In fact I would look at your car and consider it before I would look at one that did not have a new engine in it.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:27 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,921 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Some of you are confusing depreciation with diminished value. We all know what depreciation is, and that cost belongs to the owner. Diminished value means that I did not get the car that I paid for, and the value of the car continues to lessen as they perform more maintenance. That cost should not be on me, but on the manufacturer. Where is the 5 pounds of sugar that I paid for?
No, I'm not confusing depreciation with diminished value.... I full-well know the difference, but you're not being realistic... go put 100K miles on your C7 and you'll get the same amount for your car that I get for mine.

As I mentioned in my earlier post: if you wanted something that you could drive and yet have it appreciate you should have bought something that would have allowed you to do that. No new car will ever repay the monies you invest... ergo just drive it and enjoy it.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:52 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default really good advice

Originally Posted by Glen e
Lemon law is pretty cut and dried in florida, i have represented two mfrs in that state. It does not really matter what the problem is, if it meets the time down and/or repair attempts criteria. See a lawyer specializing in that field for a quick qualification meeting.

Good luck.
the typical owner is way overmatched to take it all on himself.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:39 AM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by TBIRD57
the typical owner is way overmatched to take it all on himself.
Maybe not, it probably depends on your state. In Texas its pretty cut and dried if your car meets the Lemon Law requirements, i.e. number of attempts to repair the same item or the total number of days in the dealer for repair. If you meet those requirements and the time and mileage limits, its an easy procedure. You aren't trying to convince the manufacturer (not the dealer) to take the car back, they have to take it back if it meets the lemon law. There is no litigation, its all administrative. You just have to make sure you follow the procedures once you notify the manufacturer you are applying the lemon law buy back provision to your vehicle.

If you want an eye opener, go over to the 2014 Cherokee forum and do a search for buy back or lemon law. FCA has had a boatload of problems with the ZF 9 speed transmission in the Cherokee and Dodge 200 and has bought back a bunch of them. You have options under buy back provisions, some took another new vehicle and others took refunds. Some guys have had more than one Cherokee bought back by Jeep.

Last edited by Ernest_T; 05-08-2015 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:55 AM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

I agree with the post above, VIN numbers are not stamped into engines so there are no numbers to match or not match. The only possible thing would be if the part number was correct for the car, and it would be.

"A trail of maintenance" actually improves the value of the car not diminishes it, records of maintenance at a dealer are desirable.

That may be the rule but the reality is your value has not been impaired, and you will have a difficult time proving otherwise.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:20 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

Decided I should check my oil based on this thread. Because of the Z51 package it's sort of a pain to wait about 7 minutes to check but I figured it's been 3100 miles since my oil change. I really haven't burnt more then a drop or two.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:31 AM
Flying22low
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cheapthrills
Decided I should check my oil based on this thread. Because of the Z51 package it's sort of a pain to wait about 7 minutes to check but I figured it's been 3100 miles since my oil change. I really haven't burnt more then a drop or two.
I ran out and checked mine too, based on this thread! It hasn't burned any in 1200 miles since first oil change.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:27 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Matching numbers only mean something with collector cars, usually decades old. It means nothing for new cars and doesn't add to or diminish the value at all.
I agree, 30-40 years someone may care. I can understand why the OP is disappointed but it happens. Just tell thr dealer you want it fixed in a reasonable amount of time, not months.
Old 05-08-2015, 02:02 PM
ratman6161
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 10mm_
I agree with the post above, VIN numbers are not stamped into engines so there are no numbers to match or not match. The only possible thing would be if the part number was correct for the car, and it would be.

"A trail of maintenance" actually improves the value of the car not diminishes it, records of maintenance at a dealer are desirable.

That may be the rule but the reality is your value has not been impaired, and you will have a difficult time proving otherwise.
Would even a Chevy dealer have any way to pull up records on this sort of thing years after that fact? Even if it was done at a dealer?

I recently traded in my 2001 C5 which I bought new in December of 2000. The car never had one single thing go wrong with it in more than 14 years. But...if I had had significant work done on it at an independent shop who would even know?
Old 05-08-2015, 02:22 PM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by ratman6161
Would even a Chevy dealer have any way to pull up records on this sort of thing years after that fact? Even if it was done at a dealer?

I recently traded in my 2001 C5 which I bought new in December of 2000. The car never had one single thing go wrong with it in more than 14 years. But...if I had had significant work done on it at an independent shop who would even know?

Get notified of new replies

To Lemon Law - Excessive Oil Consumption - Help

Old 06-10-2015, 01:05 PM
flytrade
Advanced

Here is an update.

I got my C7 back after 32 days at the dealer's service department. They did a major engine rebuild including all new rings and valve guide seals. Now they want me to put 1,000 miles on the car to see if that fixes the problem.

However, I have also started the formal lemon law process, and I'm communicating with the GM Mediation Liaison. It does not matter to me if this engine rebuild fixes the oil consumption problem or not - I want an "exact replacement" C7 and compensation for my mental anguish for the past 4 months. GM is researching this and will get back with me in a few days. I'll keep you posted.
The following users liked this post:
McCarthy (02-17-2017)
Old 06-10-2015, 01:13 PM
CriticalmassGT
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette dave
Wouldn't there have been some type of warning on the dash of low oil?
Yeah, right around the time it's run dry and is already doing damage to the engine. Unfortunately it isn't set up like the fuel units are. In 50 something years that particular bit of technology hasn't really advanced very much across any of the manufacturers.

Last edited by CriticalmassGT; 06-10-2015 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:11 PM
Bradysdad
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Here is an update.

I got my C7 back after 32 days at the dealer's service department. They did a major engine rebuild including all new rings and valve guide seals. Now they want me to put 1,000 miles on the car to see if that fixes the problem.

However, I have also started the formal lemon law process, and I'm communicating with the GM Mediation Liaison. It does not matter to me if this engine rebuild fixes the oil consumption problem or not - I want an "exact replacement" C7 and compensation for my mental anguish for the past 4 months. GM is researching this and will get back with me in a few days. I'll keep you posted.
I had the same thing happen to my wife's X5, only the engine completely seized at 1,500 miles. They pulled the engine, torque convertor and tranny, sent it to Germany while Germany sent a brand new set up. She now has 20,000 miles on it and has had No issues.

I have been a Corvette guy for years, with my most recent being the ordering of a new 2016 Z51 coupe. I understand why you are upset by this entire process, but asking for restitution for "mental anguish" seems a little out of bounds. Actually it reminds me of a Judge Judy show my wife watches. If you want real mental anguish, try watching your parent go through a year long fight with cancer only to lose in the end, or your wife come close to death due to unknown illness. Not having a car, which the dealer/mfg did repair, is by no means "mental anguish".

I feel your pain, but I also think you are being a little ridiculous about your demands. We are not talking about a 1967 427 tri-power matching numbers car. We are talking about a 21st century Chevy, regardless of what brand Chevy it is.

I wish you well in your journey...

Quick Reply: Lemon Law - Excessive Oil Consumption - Help