Sponsored by:

Performance Data Recorder - Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 09:44 AM
LuckyGuy
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 373 Likes on 205 Posts
Default Performance Data Recorder - Yes or No?

I have reserved a production slot for a 2016 convertible (laguna blue on black Z51 with 2LT and chrome wheels in case anyone is interested ). Up here in Canada the navigation/performance data recorder is a $2,250 option. I'll never use the navigation and the PDR seems to be a bit of a toy that I'd only use a few times. Is it worth adding to my order?? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Old 05-06-2015, 09:52 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

no, unless your going to track the car and yes I have it. I'd sell you mine if I could
Old 05-06-2015, 09:59 AM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by LuckyGuy
I have reserved a production slot for a 2016 convertible (laguna blue on black Z51 with 2LT and chrome wheels in case anyone is interested ). Up here in Canada the navigation/performance data recorder is a $2,250 option. I'll never use the navigation and the PDR seems to be a bit of a toy that I'd only use a few times. Is it worth adding to my order?? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Nav system and PDR a definite YES if for nothing else -- resale. Is it an expensive toy? Probably, but it's an expensive car (at least in my view) and people who my look at it when you sell it (millennials) will expect at least a NAV system, and the PDR is a neat toy as a bonus to help sell it.

The NAV system works pretty well in my opinion and YES, unless you track the car the PDR is neat, but not used very often. I think I've used it for a couple 0-60 shots and will probably use it once or twice this summer at the 1/4 mile strip.
My car is a 3LT off the lot; so it came with the car, but if I ordered one EXACTLY like I wanted, I'd still get it. Like I said, the nav works reasonably well and the PDR is cool.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:00 AM
LuckyGuy
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cheapthrills
no, unless your going to track the car and yes I have it. I'd sell you mine if I could
Thanks - my thoughts exactly. If I ever hit the track it will be a one-time thing only!
Old 05-06-2015, 10:02 AM
LuckyGuy
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by kenownr
Nav system and PDR a definite YES if for nothing else -- resale. Is it an expensive toy? Probably, but it's an expensive car (at least in my view) and people who my look at it when you sell it (millennials) will expect at least a NAV system, and the PDR is a neat toy as a bonus to help sell it.

The NAV system works pretty well in my opinion and YES, unless you track the car the PDR is neat, but not used very often. I think I've used it for a couple 0-60 shots and will probably use it once or twice this summer at the 1/4 mile strip.
My car is a 3LT off the lot; so it came with the car, but if I ordered one EXACTLY like I wanted, I'd still get it. Like I said, the nav works reasonably well and the PDR is cool.
I hear you for sure - but I wonder just how much resale would be affected?? Won't ever really know I guess!
Old 05-06-2015, 10:04 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

As far as resale how many people sell the car on their own? A dealer might give you an extra $200 when you trade it in. I know I hate selling cars on my own.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:06 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Don't worry about the resale value, as on a trade in later on it won't change the value of the car much if any. I've found with my trade ins that dealers rarely check the options you've got, they simply want to know the mileage and then they look at the paint, very little else matters to them in determining trade in value.

So if you really feel like it's worth $2000, go for it, in my opinion it's not a big necessity. I'd rather put that $2000 towards gas so I could drive it more often
Old 05-06-2015, 10:10 AM
LuckyGuy
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Patman
Don't worry about the resale value, as on a trade in later on it won't change the value of the car much if any. I've found with my trade ins that dealers rarely check the options you've got, they simply want to know the mileage and then they look at the paint, very little else matters to them in determining trade in value.

So if you really feel like it's worth $2000, go for it, in my opinion it's not a big necessity. I'd rather put that $2000 towards gas so I could drive it more often
Old 05-06-2015, 10:14 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

Another consideration for adding the PDR is you can use it as a dash cam. Uses include crash information, might help with liability there, or defend yourself against a bogus speeding ticket, speed can be recorded. Or possibly to pin liability on unsafe trucker loosing debris on the road. Also can use it for valet mode. Can make recordings of fun trips on roads like Tail of the Dragon. Yeah, its expensive, came with my 3LT though, but a fun toy to play with. Find out how much it costs per month over the life of the loan and see if you can stand the increase in payments. May not make that big a difference. I often start a recording just in case, never to review it if nothing unusual occurs.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:15 AM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

You and I are in the same position. I am ordering a 16 and go back and forth on this. I have no need for the navigation as I use my phone and Waze. The PDR looks like it would be fun but I am not planning on many track trips. It seems like an expensive toy for the few trips I would take. On the other hand it would be really cool to have the video from the few times I do track it.

I don't think resale is an issue, I wouldn't get out of it what I paid and Corvettes are moving well no matter how they are optioned.

Originally Posted by LuckyGuy
Old 05-06-2015, 10:18 AM
billythekid310
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cheapthrills
As far as resale how many people sell the car on their own? A dealer might give you an extra $200 when you trade it in. I know I hate selling cars on my own.
It's really not that hard to sell a Corvette on your own or maybe I have just been lucky.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:22 AM
CriticalmassGT
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Frodo
Another consideration for adding the PDR is you can use it as a dash cam. Uses include crash information, might help with liability there, or defend yourself against a bogus speeding ticket, speed can be recorded. Or possibly to pin liability on unsafe trucker loosing debris on the road. Also can use it for valet mode. Can make recordings of fun trips on roads like Tail of the Dragon. Yeah, its expensive, came with my 3LT though, but a fun toy to play with. Find out how much it costs per month over the life of the loan and see if you can stand the increase in payments. May not make that big a difference. I often start a recording just in case, never to review it if nothing unusual occurs.
If you can use it like a dash-cam, I would absolutely get it. More and more people are running with dash-cams and it can help prove your case in an accident better than 4 witnesses can (ask my wife how we know).

Insurance scammers are on the rise in a lot of countries (they like to cut in front of you then slam on the brakes causing you to rear-end them). Can also be handy for Road Rage incidents which as we all know are also on the rise. And I would think having the PDR in the vette built in would be a better option than having something extra stuck to your windshield (I would prefer it built in, but that's me).

The only upside to a dashcam is if you need to, you can pop it off the windshield and continue recording an incident if it moves out of the viewing area in front of your car, and as another said, the resolution and picture quality may be better as well.

Uhh, just make sure it is turned off if you plan on going over the speed limit. lol.

As far as the nav systems in cars, I don't like them. They tend to be slow, and updates are expensive. I prefer my phone and Sync Services (Ford's Non-nav screen navigation used in conjunction with the Ford Destinations app or calling services and have them plan out a route and download it to your car) and/or Waze. Sync Services is $60.00 a year (first 3 years are free), and map updates on the phone are free, and they are updated more often.

Also, I'm just weird with in-car nav screens cluttering up the look of the interior. I have never really liked them in any car, so i'm probably in the minority on that one.

Last edited by CriticalmassGT; 05-06-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:22 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Frodo
Cheap dash cams do a much better job of this, the picture quality is far better (really GM the picture sucks), they come on when the car starts (once again GM please make this happen). I hate having to remember to start it all the time, then not even know if it's running when an hour later I think "did I start the PDR?" the downside of the dash cam of course is it's not attractive stuck to your windshield alongside of your radar detector.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:24 AM
LuckyGuy
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Boiler_81
You and I are in the same position. I am ordering a 16 and go back and forth on this. I have no need for the navigation as I use my phone and Waze. The PDR looks like it would be fun but I am not planning on many track trips. It seems like an expensive toy for the few trips I would take. On the other hand it would be really cool to have the video from the few times I do track it.

I don't think resale is an issue, I wouldn't get out of it what I paid and Corvettes are moving well no matter how they are optioned.
A tough decision for sure - but I appreciate everyone's thoughts on this - many thanks!

Last edited by LuckyGuy; 05-06-2015 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:25 AM
clegg
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I added the option because I wanted factory Nav and for resale, I would think a buyer would want factory NAV in a 70000 dollar car. It's worth it in my opinion.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:51 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Save your money why spend it on something you will hardly ever use. As for resale value realistically who thinks about what you may or may not get sometime in the unknown future.
Get the options you want and enjoy your Vette.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:53 AM
LuckyGuy
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dvilin
Save your money why spend it on something you will hardly ever use. As for resale value realistically who thinks about what you may or may not get sometime in the unknown future.
Get the options you want and enjoy your Vette.
Sound advice

Get notified of new replies

To Performance Data Recorder - Yes or No?

Old 05-06-2015, 12:23 PM
Disavowed
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got mine because it was the only way to get nav and I wanted nav. Also someone pointed out above it has some quality uses such as recording a truck throwing/kicking up debris onto your car. You'd have the proof to hold them liable or at least prove to your insurance that the object you hit was thrown onto your car. If it was in the air and not on the ground where you ran it over. It doesn't count as an accident on your insurance thus your rates don't go up.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:31 PM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by CriticalmassGT
I'm just weird with in-car nav screens cluttering up the look of the interior.
The screen is going to be there whether you have nav or not. Same with most modern cars, what with infotainment systems becoming popular. Wife's Nissan has it. I don't usually display the nav anyway. I prefer to have music titles and such displayed there. I agree with those who prefer a smart phone for nav. Wife and I compared Nissan nav, C7 nav, and Garmin. Garmin won out. We still use phone for most situations.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:06 PM
BIC
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I debated the same option and wound up ordering the NAV/PDR on my 2015 Z51 2LT. After 800 miles:

Pros: Even though Google Maps & Garmin have advantages over the built-in (I use all three at different times), on a $70,000+ car, I expect the aesthetics of a built-in NAV. I like the big screen always there in front of me, I like the NAV integration with the HUD. Although the PDR wasn't built to be a dash-cam, and lacks some of the functionality of a $100 dash-cam, I still prefer the built-in convenience and aesthetics as a dash-cam (I'll never track it). I have a radar-detector on a Blendmount. That's enough near the windshield of a $70,000+ car. In my CTS, I mount radar, Garmin & dash-cam on windshield for a cross-country trip. It's pretty ugly. I don't use those around town--just the built in NAV.

Cons: Overpriced--but on a $70,000 car, what's another $2,000 to have no regrets.

If I think about the cost, I can get annoyed--otherwise, I'm glad I have the NAV/PDR. Even with their faults, I still like having them. Could I live without them--yes. Can I live without a Corvette--yes....

Quick Reply: Performance Data Recorder - Yes or No?