Sponsored by:

Opening the door with the engine running

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 09:46 AM
bluez51c7
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Opening the door with the engine running

I cannot figure out why I can open the car door sometimes while the engine is running and other times I can't. What is the reason?
Old 05-06-2015, 09:55 AM
U8 DU5T
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Not trying to be a jerk but did you unlock the door? The door automatically locks when you put in it gear and drive off. It doesn't unlock until you turn the car off. I have a M7. Might work differently for an A8.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:57 AM
bluez51c7
Advanced

U8 thanks I did not think of that, that has to be the reason. duh
M7 too
Old 05-06-2015, 09:59 AM
motox621
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

don't fell bad i couldent figure that out in my c6 days for a while .....but yes once you put it in gear it locks the door and doesen't unlock till you turn to motor off or you have to unlock it to get out
Old 05-06-2015, 10:01 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by bluez51c7
I cannot figure out why I can open the car door sometimes while the engine is running and other times I can't. What is the reason?
Depends... auto or manual trans? personalization settings? page 2-13 of the "Book of Words" as I call it, explains what causes doors to lock and unlock under computer control. Perhaps you will find the answer your question there. Good Luck
Old 05-06-2015, 10:07 AM
Dracla
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the doors lock when you put the car in gear. I believe it unlocks the doors when you put it in park...at least that always happens with my wife's Equinox. I'm now not sure what happens when I put my Corvette in park with the engine running. But I'll find out now that you asked.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:12 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Mine (A6) has to be in Park for the doors to unlock. If you are still in gear, you can manually unlock the doors by pushing the unlock button.

From the manual:

"Automatic Door Locks

The vehicle is programmed so that when the shift lever is moved into P (Park) for automatic transmission vehicles or when the ignition is turned off or is in Retained Accessory Power (RAP) for manual transmission vehicles, both doors will unlock.

With the vehicle stopped and the engine running, door unlocking can be programmed through the Driver Information Center (DIC). This allows the driver to choose various unlock settings. For programming information, see Vehicle Personalization on page 5-41"
Old 05-06-2015, 01:24 PM
bluez51c7
Advanced

Thanks again U8 you are exactly right, I just went our for lunch and you need to hit the "unlock" button to get the door to open.
What through me was that this morning I backed out of the garage and had to go back into the house to get something. I assumed that I would have to shut off the engine to get out but when I tried the door button it opened. When I got to work, I wanted to open the door to check out the parking alignment and it wouldn't open.
The doors locked on the way to work but did not lock in the driveway.
ah-ha
Learn something every day.
I drive my car every day and after 6 months I am still learning things, very cool car yes?

Get notified of new replies

To Opening the door with the engine running

Quick Reply: Opening the door with the engine running