C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 buyers, are you opting for navigation?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 11:25 PM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 82 Posts

Default 2016 buyers, are you opting for navigation?

With the very big hint that they dropped at the NCM bash, it seems we might be getting Apple CarPlay and/or Android Auto. This was apparently in one of the press releases during the bash, but it has since been removed from the press release (interesting). But luckily the Corvette Museum Blog posted the following text on their site and it's still there as of this moment:

--------------
MyLink enhancement details

Advanced phone integration technology in the 2016 Corvette Stingray provides owners a simple and intuitive way to use their compatible smartphone in their vehicle. It integrates certain phone functions onto the 8-inch-diagonal color touchscreen, allowing users to call up music, navigation apps and more.

Once the phone is plugged in to the MyLink USB port, users call up music (saved or streaming), travel/map apps and other apps using the MyLink touchscreen, leaving the phone safely stowed – and avoiding the need for the driver to take his or her eyes off the road. Using voice commands built into a smartphone, drivers can also dictate and hear text messages hands-free.

A projection icon on the MyLink screen is visible when a phone is not connected. The icon changes to indicate a specific technology brand name when a phone is connected. The user can enter advanced phone integration mode and exit to other MyLink settings and menus, while continuing to stream music or audible navigation directions from a compatible phone.
--------------

With this in mind, is anyone still opting for navigation? It's a tough call because I have to put my order in before this information will likely be officially confirmed. For the record, I'm not concerned about the lack of PDR.

Last edited by docprego; 05-11-2015 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:36 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Buy it. Garmin's stuck to the windshield look tacky.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:38 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

When during the bash was this hint dropped? I don't remember anything about it.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:42 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
Buy it. Garmin's stuck to the windshield look tacky.
No way would I buy one of these cars without navigation. I don't really care what it costs.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:46 PM
Joy c7
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 238 Posts

And you also get the PDR.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:46 PM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mpuzach
When during the bash was this hint dropped? I don't remember anything about it.
It was in GM's press release for 2016 Z06. But it has since been removed from that press release.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:48 PM
docprego
Burning Brakes

No way would I buy one of these cars without navigation. I don't really care what it costs.
Why? If the touchscreen will display navigation apps from your phone, what's the reason to have it?
Old 05-12-2015, 12:06 AM
marcusdeshaun
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by docprego
Why? If the touchscreen will display navigation apps from your phone, what's the reason to have it?

I would surmise that a good reason to have it is that the internal navigation will show up in the HUD. I'm not so sure that the external nav apps will feed turn by turn to the HUD.

I have a strong feeling that even if CarPlay/Android Auto isn't initially supported, the hardware was upgraded enough to enable support for it. I'm assuming they pulled the press release because they're still working out some kinks specific to Corvette (keep in mind it is already available for the 2016 Volt).
Old 05-12-2015, 12:43 AM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by marcusdeshaun
I would surmise that a good reason to have it is that the internal navigation will show up in the HUD. I'm not so sure that the external nav apps will feed turn by turn to the HUD.

I have a strong feeling that even if CarPlay/Android Auto isn't initially supported, the hardware was upgraded enough to enable support for it. I'm assuming they pulled the press release because they're still working out some kinks specific to Corvette (keep in mind it is already available for the 2016 Volt).
Frankly if I can use Apple or Google maps directly on the touchscreen, that would be far better than GM's navigation system. In that case it's hard for me to justify GM's navigation just to get HUD integration.

I personally think CarPlay is imminent and will be in the '16 C7. The deleted info in the press release was a huge clue. If not, why would GM delete it?
Old 05-12-2015, 12:46 AM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

2LT and 3LT both have Mylink and Siri Eyes/Hands Fee. Here is what Webopidia says about it.

An extension of Apple's Siri functionality for enabling voice control of an iOS mobile device that is linked with a car's in-dash audio system. With Siri Eyes Free, drivers can speak natural language voice commands in order to operate the mobile device as well as the car's sound or in-vehicle infotainment system.
Siri Eyes Free operates via a voice command button on the car's steering wheel, enabling the driver to make and receive calls, select and play music, audibly send and receive text messages, access Maps and get directions, audibly receive notifications, set reminders and more.

Siri Eyes Free was first announced in 2012 and is now available on a variety of new model cars from automobile manufacturers like Chevrolet and BMW. Siri Eyes Free also plays a key role in the Apple CarPlay system (formerly "iOS in the Car") that debuted in early 2014.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:58 AM
tunaman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

We love the NAV in the wife's Stingray and I'll be including it in mine this year, regardless whether CarPlay makes it or not.

Great integrated system IMHO, great to have a backup and also great not to have to use my data when we can get the feed from the birds.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:12 AM
docprego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ammo
2LT and 3LT both have Mylink and Siri Eyes/Hands Fee. Here is what Webopidia says about it.

An extension of Apple's Siri functionality for enabling voice control of an iOS mobile device that is linked with a car's in-dash audio system. With Siri Eyes Free, drivers can speak natural language voice commands in order to operate the mobile device as well as the car's sound or in-vehicle infotainment system.
Siri Eyes Free operates via a voice command button on the car's steering wheel, enabling the driver to make and receive calls, select and play music, audibly send and receive text messages, access Maps and get directions, audibly receive notifications, set reminders and more.

Siri Eyes Free was first announced in 2012 and is now available on a variety of new model cars from automobile manufacturers like Chevrolet and BMW. Siri Eyes Free also plays a key role in the Apple CarPlay system (formerly "iOS in the Car") that debuted in early 2014.
Having Siri Eyes Free is completely different than having it as a component of CarPlay. Have a look:

https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

Last edited by docprego; 05-12-2015 at 02:15 AM.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:27 AM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

As I recall, there was some wishful thinking/rumbling around the bash among attendees, but I never heard it out of the mouth of gm reps.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:09 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

The 2016 Volt has the "3rd Generation" Chevy My Link. The 2016 Corvette should also have it.

The rumors are that like Ford Sync this one will be updatable. Maybe they removed the press release items because it won't be initially available but part of a later update?
Old 05-12-2015, 07:26 AM
Sir Nuke
Drifting

Received 425 Likes on 245 Posts

With this in mind, is anyone still opting for navigation? It's a tough call because I have to put my order in before this information will likely be officially confirmed. For the record, I'm not concerned about the lack of PDR.
if you happen to track your car..... its worth it.....if not....NOT A CHANCE. the fact that GM packaged the Nav and PDR TOGETHER was a total F.U. There is no way in the world I would pay $1700 for NAV, because that is what you are doing if you get it with no need/want for the PDR. there are way to many other options available that will do the job for a LOT less cash.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:26 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Frankly if I can use Apple or Google maps directly on the touchscreen, that would be far better than GM's navigation system. In that case it's hard for me to justify GM's navigation just to get HUD integration.
^This.^
Old 05-12-2015, 08:41 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I don't like my iPhone navigation system at all. Wouldn't want iPhone as my navigation system in a 60/70 thousand dollar car. The GM system is far superior, after menu selections are known works extremely well. I have the navigation map page in view all the time even when destination has not been selected, my personal default. At $1,700 the price is comparable with other car manufacturers navigation system cost and you get the PDR. Unless something superior is offered, I will order navigation on my 2017.

Get notified of new replies

To 2016 buyers, are you opting for navigation?

Old 05-12-2015, 08:57 AM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I really don't see $1795 is a bad deal for Nav & PDR combined, if you will remember Nav in the C6s was $175o and it was a Denso POS. The new Nav is much better and you get the PDR with it, even if you don't use the PDR at the track it comes in handy on fun roads or just on the street. So the way I see it Nav was $1750 in the C6 it's now $1795 in the C7, small increase for a better system.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:22 AM
*Trip*
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I know that all manufacturers are going to try to cling to the factory nav concept but it will be obsolete in a few short years.....Google maps integration into a touch screen is the future, especially with the active traffic mapping, it's awesome.....(the native Apple maps is pretty mediocre)

I think eventually they will try to force you to have a"connected" car with monthly fees to have nav & full internet access in your car.....especially in a car that has no normal DIN structure so that it cant be replaced aftermarket.....

It hasn't worked with On-Star being the"go to" for hand free calling as they hoped and gm will be forced to integrate Bluetooth into every car just to keep up with the standard offerings of every Kia on the road...
Old 05-12-2015, 09:34 AM
Busa Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

Got to say I just took my 2015 to near Tampa then to north of Jacksonville and back to DFW and it worked fantastic. The Nav that is.

Quick Reply: 2016 buyers, are you opting for navigation?