Sponsored by:

Mode selection

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 07:48 PM
Pelee4me
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Mode selection

I have the engine sound management in "Sport" mode, not in auto mode but every time I start the car it defaults to touring mode. How do I make it stay in sport mode?
Old 05-19-2015, 07:52 PM
scottsh
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Just curious, but how do you know it is in touring mode for the exhaust? Does the car show the engine sound management mode or are you just going by sound?

I personally can't tell a whole lot of difference in my non-NPP exhaust while sitting in my driveway between modes.

On a side note, I love the Stealth setting. Not because I use it, but because they decided to name this mode something that implies that the car could ever be a sleeper. I guess it could sneak into Osama Bin Laden's compound though in Stealth mode?
Old 05-19-2015, 08:06 PM
Pete43
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine, if you shut the car off in track mode, it will default back to touring. It stays in sport mode if you shut it off in sport.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:08 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

If you have the non-NPP exhaust, there is no difference in exhaust sound between modes. Only the NPP system has the valves after the mufflers to change the sound.

Pelee, Scottsh' question is valid. If you set the engine sound management to Sport, what is displayed on the DIC (T, S, Tr, etc.) has nothing to do with sound. Only if you set engine sound management to Auto does turning the mode dial affect sound.

Tell us what you set, and what you're seeing / hearing, and maybe we can help.

Last edited by meyerweb; 05-19-2015 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:31 PM
Pelee4me
Racer

Originally Posted by meyerweb
If you have the non-NPP exhaust, there is no difference in exhaust sound between modes. Only the NPP system has the valves after the mufflers to change the sound.

Pelee, Scottsh' question is valid. If you set the engine sound management to Sport, what is displayed on the DIC (T, S, Tr, etc.) has nothing to do with sound. Only if you set engine sound management to Auto does turning the mode dial affect sound.

Tell us what you set, and what you're seeing / hearing, and maybe we can help.
I have the performance exhaust. It's very evident when the valves are open or closed. If I turn the car off in track mode it switches to touring mode when I restart the car. I can tell this 2 ways, first because it's quiet and second because I can see the "T" in the DIC indicating touring mode. I'll have to try it in sport mode as mentioned above to see if it stays in sport mode.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:31 PM
scottsh
Pro

My 2015 non-NPP has that menu option for Engine Sound Management but I could never figure out what it did - I guess nothing - but then I wonder why they left it in?
Old 05-19-2015, 08:35 PM
scottsh
Pro

Originally Posted by Pelee4me
I have the performance exhaust. It's very evident when the valves are open or closed. If I turn the car off in track mode it switches to touring mode when I restart the car. I can tell this 2 ways, first because it's quiet and second because I can see the "T" in the DIC indicating touring mode. I'll have to try it in sport mode as mentioned above to see if it stays in sport mode.
ESM mode isn't the same as the DIC-displayed overall mode. the Engine Sound Management mode is just for those valves to make it loud. I would think that if you set it to Off or Track (depending on year) it would stay there?

The overall mode always goes out of Track and into Touring when you restart. This is intentional because they are worried about less capable drivers getting in your car and not knowing how to handle Track mode.

On my 2015 car, if I leave it in Sport mode it stays there.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:43 PM
Pelee4me
Racer

Originally Posted by scottsh
ESM mode isn't the same as the DIC-displayed overall mode. the Engine Sound Management mode is just for those valves to make it loud. I would think that if you set it to Off or Track (depending on year) it would stay there?

The overall mode always goes out of Track and into Touring when you restart. This is intentional because they are worried about less capable drivers getting in your car and not knowing how to handle Track mode.

On my 2015 car, if I leave it in Sport mode it stays there.
I didn't realize that. I'm sure that's it. Normally I use sport mode, I just tried track mode a few times to see the difference. While I'm here, what is "steAlth" mode?
Old 05-19-2015, 08:45 PM
scottsh
Pro

Under 'Engine Sound Management' in the Vehicle settings of the infotainment menu you can change the dual-mode exhaust behavior. If you want the valves to always be open (loud) in all DIC driving modes, you can do that by setting it to Track (2015) or Off (2014). For 2015 they added Stealth as a mode that I believe leaves the valves always closed (quiet) regardless of DIC driving mode and throttle setting.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:46 PM
WesC7
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete43
Mine, if you shut the car off in track mode, it will default back to touring. It stays in sport mode if you shut it off in sport.
Same with my '15. And I so dang glad I got the NPP.....
Old 05-19-2015, 09:05 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

We have all these modes yet I leave mine in Sport 95% of the time. Occasionally I will set in Track and when driving in the rain, Weather. I have a base non NPP equipped car, thinking even if I had the Z51 option with Magnetic ride I would still operate in Sport with the exhaust valves closed. Perfectly happy with what I purchased.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:31 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

I always leave mine in Sport mode-I like the way the ride is in Sport. I set it to Touring mode when my wife is in the car. The ride isn't as stiff in Touring mode.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:01 AM
meyerweb
Safety Car

This is normal behavior. If you shut the car off in Track mode it will always restart in Touring. It will stay in Sport mode if you shut it off in Sport mode.

But track mode, and track sound, aren't exactly the same thing. You can go into settings on the center screen, and set Engine Sound Management to always be in track mode, regardless of what the mode switch is set to. The driving mode will still reset to Touring, but the sound will stay in track.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:22 AM
DeStreGa5
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 61 Posts

I just recently found about this feature since I now have just over 600 miles on my car. I'm just wondering if anyone has noticed a difference between Sport and Track in the Engine Sounds Mangement. I've been using the Sport mode I really love the way it sounds, but how does Track mode sound?
Old 05-22-2015, 11:35 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by DeStreGa5
I just recently found about this feature since I now have just over 600 miles on my car. I'm just wondering if anyone has noticed a difference between Sport and Track in the Engine Sounds Mangement. I've been using the Sport mode I really love the way it sounds, but how does Track mode sound?
Not to sound like a wise guy, but why not put it in track mode and hear for yourself.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:41 AM
Digfoot
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 05-22-2015, 12:42 PM
DeStreGa5
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
Not to sound like a wise guy, but why not put it in track mode and hear for yourself.
At idle I don't really hear a difference. I was just wondering if it sounds different while driving. I try not to mess with it too much when I'm actually driving. So far it does sound very similar to Sport mode.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:19 PM
Bburr
Racer

Received 203 Likes on 98 Posts

Using the Automatic Trans, as far as I can tell, you can change any of the modes while driving, even drop it down to Manual.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:08 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DeStreGa5
At idle I don't really hear a difference. I was just wondering if it sounds different while driving. I try not to mess with it too much when I'm actually driving. So far it does sound very similar to Sport mode.
In track mode the valves open up earlier and open completely in some situations where they are only partly open in Sport. There's no reason not to change it while driving. Unless you have the MRC shocks: you don't want those in track mode on the street.

Anyway, in driving around on surface roads where I'm accelerating and/or decelerating, I hear a significant difference in track vs. sport. At part throttle acceleration, Track sounds notably more aggressive. If you don't have MRC, set engine sound management to auto, and twist the mode dial between Sport and Track while driving around. If you have the MRC and don't want to run track mode on the street, take a short drive with ESM set to Sport, then set it to Track and duplicate the drive.

I think the difference will be clear.

Get notified of new replies

To Mode selection

Quick Reply: Mode selection