Sponsored by:

Bowling Green Upgrades !

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 12:01 PM
Dan12
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BlessedHellride
Have you ever driven a Porsche Caymen or Boxter? It wouldn't be a rear engine in any case it would be a mid-engine.
Yeah who would want a Ford GT or 911 twin turbo, all Ferraris with mid engines are garbage. F1 cars are no comparison to Nascar. I only drink Budweiser and wont acknowledge any other beer. I know the type.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:26 PM
DerekShiekhi
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Chevy's Pumping a Lot of Green into Its New Corvette Paint Shop

Chevy's Pumping a Lot of Green into Its New Corvette Paint Shop

The C7 looks good in pretty much any color, but the color Chevrolet is concentrating on most with its upcoming $439 million Corvette paint shop is green.

Read the rest on the CorvetteForum.com homepage. >>
Old 05-22-2015, 02:36 PM
jma242
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 109 Posts

I'm doubtful they will improve the car's paintjob, but I'm hopeful that we will have an expanded color selection when this plant gets running. It's a buzzkill waiting to see only one or two new colors every year, and they are usually pretty close to what colors we already had. In some cases the new colors are a step back.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:47 PM
sromley
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jma242
I'm doubtful they will improve the car's paintjob, but I'm hopeful that we will have an expanded color selection when this plant gets running. It's a buzzkill waiting to see only one or two new colors every year, and they are usually pretty close to what colors we already had. In some cases the new colors are a step back.
Each of us has our own bias when it comes to colors; and I do agree that more options could be better. I would be satisfied if Chevy would only have two to three colors it they got rid of the damned orange peel. No pun intended.. I almost bought an Orange car 'cause I really think its unique and badass. Ended up with Shark Grey. Understated and better looking up close.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:51 PM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,683 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Another post on the paint upgrade!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-upgrades.html
Old 05-22-2015, 02:59 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by DerekShiekhi

The C7 looks good in pretty much any color, but the color Chevrolet is concentrating on most with its upcoming $439 million Corvette paint shop is green.

They are digging in a box of ground? I don't know?????
Old 05-22-2015, 03:24 PM
sromley
Advanced

The more I look at this picture, the funnier it gets. Imagine the conversation: "hey, we need a picture that represents the investment we are making in our plant."

"Well, lets fill up a box with dirt, and then pretend to shovel some out."

"Oooh, that's a great idea."

Old 05-22-2015, 03:44 PM
tyho
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Those shovels look expensive!
Old 05-22-2015, 03:54 PM
sromley
Advanced

Originally Posted by tyho
Those shovels look expensive!
Or as my Tennessee friends say, "those look 'spensive."
Old 05-24-2015, 04:16 PM
1bzman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Paint Shop

Originally Posted by green2000
From the GM notice:

"State-of-the-art FANUC robots with Versa-bell 3 electrostatic applicators for an extremely smooth finish and maximum transfer efficiency, saving 25 percent of the paint material used, which also benefits the environment

Longer, high-efficiency baking ovens for exceptional paint finish and lower energy use.

"With this major technology investment, we can continue to exceed the expectations of sports car buyers for years to come," said North American Manufacturing Manager Arvin Jones. "These types of investments are evidence that the customer is at the center of every decision we make.""

It appears that they think they already have excellent paint so we'll have to see how this pans out.
Less Paint save money. I don't see where GM says the quality of the paint job will be any better only that GM will save money.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:21 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by green2000
From the GM notice:

"State-of-the-art FANUC robots with Versa-bell 3 electrostatic applicators for an extremely smooth finish and maximum transfer efficiency, saving 25 percent of the paint material used, which also benefits the environment

Longer, high-efficiency baking ovens for exceptional paint finish and lower energy use.

"With this major technology investment, we can continue to exceed the expectations of sports car buyers for years to come," said North American Manufacturing Manager Arvin Jones. "These types of investments are evidence that the customer is at the center of every decision we make.""

It appears that they think they already have excellent paint so we'll have to see how this pans out.
Save the environment!! Tree huggers unite. Lets make sure to save the ethanol as well. How about an all electric Vette?

More sickness to come! If it all comes to this, then dump the Vette.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:38 PM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by sromley
The more I look at this picture, the funnier it gets. Imagine the conversation: "hey, we need a picture that represents the investment we are making in our plant."

"Well, lets fill up a box with dirt, and then pretend to shovel some out."

"Oooh, that's a great idea."

Maybe they're afraid they'd hit a sinkhole if they dug in the actual ground!
Old 05-24-2015, 11:02 PM
daytonagary
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Elegant1
most of this money will be earmarked for Rear engine production retool of the factory for the upcoming Zora and C8 rear/mid engine platform.
LOL Been seeing the mid engine Corvette rumors out since the mid 1960's. Will never happen. Toured the plant last month and the plant is working everyone 10 hours a day, 6 days a week to keep up with demand as much as possible. Extra investment will ease some of those pains. NOT build a mid engine car. When you already have a car that is as nice or nicer and as fast or faster than the competition that sells their cars for twice what the Corvette sells for, no need to build a $150,000 mid engine Corvette. With 50-50 weight distribution the present vette handles awesome already and mid engine won't improve that dramatically.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:59 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Elegant1
most of this money will be earmarked for Rear engine production retool of the factory for the upcoming Zora and C8 rear/mid engine platform.
Considering the paint shop's sole purpose is to... ehm... paint the car.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:10 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
Will orange peel and poorly aligned panels now be a thing of the past with this upgrade?
An often overlooked fact about new robots is that engineers can shift focus from maintaining old robots to improving the paint finish.

But more directly, the new robots will have better characteristics like more accurate fluid and air control, faster failure sensing, etc.

This all adds up.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:47 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

maybe this will allow the BG plant to continue to offer low-volume colors (with optional cost if necessary), giving the customers more choices...
current paint shop capacity is limited to 10 colors.

Quick Reply: Bowling Green Upgrades !