C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer told me basic nail puncture in run flats could not be repaired?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 10:09 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Patch/plugged tires will absolutely lose their speed rating, but will be perfectly fine for the majority of everyday use. Conservatively, I would estimate I have 100,000 miles on patched/plugged tires on RFs.

I've never had a single issue with a tire that was properly repaired, and have been able to drive every one of them until they wore out in due course.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:20 PM
stevdug
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Ha,,, I just ran the "can't fix your tire" gambit this week. Wife ran over a nail which punctured pretty much center of tread, took it to a regional chain who informed me they could not repair due to liability issues. I origiinlay bit and bought a new tire but the tire they mounted up was completely different tire. The shop claimed the Michelins that came on the car were discontinued, so I had them break it down, got a refund and left. Took it next to a small independent shop shelled out 15 bucks for a good plug patch and all is good. Next day was a track day so the car was ran hard all day and patch held perfectly.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:39 PM
Oldfalguy
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well that tire was at least less expensive than the last muffler bearing I had fixed
Old 05-23-2015, 03:10 AM
Virtual Geezer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Dealer is a crook.
I doubt complaining to them would help. Maybe the BBB and Chevy. Probably a good idea to find another dealer to repair your car.

Old 05-23-2015, 03:27 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 934 Likes on 488 Posts
Tech Contributor

It's not a gambit a scam a conspiracy or whatever… Authorized motor vehicle dealers just will not repair it due to liability , they just want a new tire. It's the safe play for them.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:07 AM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
It's not a gambit a scam a conspiracy or whatever… Authorized motor vehicle dealers just will not repair it due to liability , they just want a new tire. It's the safe play for them.
BS. You figure big outfits like Discount Tire are somehow immune to lawsuits?
Old 05-23-2015, 09:09 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

It's not BS....DEALERS DONT HAVE TO mess with patches and plugs, they are "warranty parts changers"......not fix it shops making 25 bucks here and there....they simply don't have to do this kind of repair. 40 years dealing with 100o mfr service depts, it's their MO......

And my std disclaimer when discussing dealer operation policies: not HOW IT SHOULD BE, but HOW IT IS for many dealers.....

Last edited by Glen e; 05-23-2015 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:45 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

T
Originally Posted by NB68
Anyone else lied to like this or otherwise by their "trusted" dealer?

So just to clarify, I call Michelon and they confirm, yes, no problem fixing a nail puncture flat, (but they only officially recommend doing it one time as it would be classified as affecting the speed rating if patched more than once,,,but technically could be done anyway).

Goodyear, similar story.i

Depends on the shop and Michelin policy. The franchised Firestone dealer in town is the only one the Chevy/BMW/Mercedes dealer (and I) trust to touch Vette wheels from being ruined. They will only fix a flat (1 in the case of Michelin) if not in the sidewall. Unfortunately their rules say the outer tread is part of the sidewall.
For my C6 with a nail in the outer tread they told me to try another shop. Those folks (who I would not have let touch my tires anyway) said they would not touch a run flat on wide wheels. The Firestone dealer is the only one in the area with a touch less tire machine. Even then only 2 or their ~20 technicians are allowed to work on Vette tires!
The best fix is a combo plug/patch but that requires removing the tire. Getting a low profile very stiff run flat tire off the wide rim requires the right equipment and skill. For what it's worth.

Last edited by JerryU; 05-23-2015 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:48 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Glen e
It's not BS....DEALERS DONT HAVE TO mess with patches and plugs, they are "warranty parts changers"......not fix it shops making 25 bucks here and there....they simply don't have to do this kind of repair. 40 years dealing with 100o mfr service depts, it's their MO......

And my std disclaimer when discussing dealer operation policies: not HOW IT SHOULD BE, but HOW IT IS for many dealers.....
And that's fine if it is their policy, but the dealer should be up front about this and not try to sell a new tire when a plug/patch repair would render the punctured tire to good working condition. At a minimum they should have said the owner could take the car to whatever shop they recommend to get the tire repaired.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:35 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
And that's fine if it is their policy, but the dealer should be up front about this and not try to sell a new tire when a plug/patch repair would render the punctured tire to good working condition. At a minimum they should have said the owner could take the car to whatever shop they recommend to get the tire repaired.
No arguement there......totally agree......however if the direction from GM is to not fix and replace tire, they should have said that too....I doubt any dealer knows (or cares) what the Michelin policiy is......making up crap s inexcusable....

Last edited by Glen e; 05-23-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:17 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
Happens all too often, on all sorts of issues.

As far as RF repairs go: They are just as reparable if the puncture is in the same place and of the same size as non RFs. DON'T let anyone tell you differently. If the shop has a liability issue, they should tell you that don't want to repair it, not tell you it cannot be repaired. Certainly, they should not try to rip you off to the tune of almost $600 bucks for a new tire.

I gave up almost a decade ago when it came to dealers and tires. Go to a tire shop that has a good rep.
The one legitimate concern with repairing runflats is that there's no way to tell how far the tire was driven at zero pressure, or at what speeds. The tire is spec'd to run up to 50 miles at up to 50 mph, I believe. If the vehicle was, instead, driven at 75 mph for 150 miles, the tire could have suffered internal damage that is invisible, but will cause the tire to fail later.

The dealer may be trying to cheat the customer, or they may just want to avoid liability in case the tire delaminates and a major accident with bodily injury or death results.

That's something we, as tire owners, should keep in mind: If the tire was actually at zero pressure, and you've cheated on the 50/50 specs, you might want to pass on getting the tire repaired.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:47 AM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

I have a tire plug kit from Griots. It is VERY easy to repair your own puncture as long as it's less than 1/8" and in the tread and not the sidewall. I have plugged many tires using this kit (not my Corvette).
Old 05-24-2015, 01:18 PM
AttyVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Sorry, that information is wrong. Michelin allows ONE repair per tire:

thanks for posting ..I had a repair done on one of my tires by Discont Tires ...no problem having the tire repaired at all!
Old 05-24-2015, 11:58 PM
Thrill6
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The liability excuse is just that, an excuse. They have ZERO liability if the tire is repaired according to the tire manufactures specifications and if some lawyer could figure out how to sue them that's why they have insurance.

They just want to bend you over and sell you a tire.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:18 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
I have a tire plug kit from Griots. It is VERY easy to repair your own puncture as long as it's less than 1/8" and in the tread and not the sidewall. I have plugged many tires using this kit (not my Corvette).
Do yourself a favor and throw that kit away. A plug alone is NEVER a proper repair. All repairs should be a plug AND patch. Tire MUST be removed from wheel for a proper repair.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Tire Repair.pdf (863.1 KB, 113 views)
Old 05-25-2015, 12:25 AM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Do yourself a favor and throw that kit away. A plug alone is NEVER a proper repair. All repairs should be a plug AND patch. Tire MUST be removed from wheel for a proper repair.
He doesn't need to throw the kit away. He DOES need to understand that those kind of plugs are for temporary repairs, and a proper internal plug / patch should be done as soon as possible.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:26 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Originally Posted by meyerweb
He doesn't need to throw the kit away. He DOES need to understand that those kind of plugs are for temporary repairs, and a proper internal plug / patch should be done as soon as possible.
OK, I'll accept that.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer told me basic nail puncture in run flats could not be repaired?!

Old 05-25-2015, 06:23 AM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Thanks. I know it's a temporary repair. It lets me get to my destination and schedule a repair rather than being stuck or having to use a temporary spare tire.

I would never patch a run flat in this way. I would just drive it to the repair place. They put run flats on these cars for a reason...
Old 05-25-2015, 09:00 AM
brokaw
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why didn't you verify nail
issue by checking tire
yourself ??

Originally Posted by NB68
Anyone else lied to like this or otherwise by their "trusted" dealer?

So I hear a clicking in the tire one morning. I am ready for my oil change anyway so I take it into the dealer for that and ask them to check if I have a rock or something in the rear tire, (it was not losing any air).

They call back and tell me I have a nail right in the center, and bad news...run flats cannot be patched...I'll need to buy a new tire from them for $580 bucks!

I say I'll get back to them. I call the local tire places just to check and they all say, sure we can repair that?!

So just to clarify, I call Michelon and they confirm, yes, no problem fixing a nail puncture flat, (but they only officially recommend doing it one time as it would be classified as affecting the speed rating if patched more than once,,,but technically could be done anyway).

Goodyear, similar story.

I call them back...the service guy gives me the ,"well, that's what we're told" line. I ask him to check into it and get back to me.

Sure enough he calls back and says, oh, well, "it turns out that's just our policy" for liability purposes...what?

So, it gets better.
I take it about 30 mi to a trusted local tire shop, (3rd gen family owned type of place).
They say they'll fix it for $25 bucks, great...except after inspecting the tire, they find no nail, no rock, (clicking sound stopped after leaving the dealer but they said they did nothing), sprayed it down and no sign of any puncture!

So, what am I left to think?

a) dealer service guy is just an idiot following what he was told and the nail fell out on the way to the other shop and just happened not to puncture through.

b) Never was a nail and dealer was trying to scam me for a new tire when they saw an opportunity?

Either way the experience seemed less than honest to me.
If it is your "policy" not to repair but to replace, tell the customer that so they have a choice, vs lying and saying flat out, it can't be repaired and hope I spend the $$ blindly without checking into it.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:35 PM
NB68
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by brokaw
Why didn't you verify nail
issue by checking tire
yourself ??
Thanks for all the good discussion and information.

Bottom line is, I don't feel I can trust this(any?) dealer now which is unfortunate bc they were right across the street from my office.

I never saw a nail...the space btw tire and wheel well makes it difficult to see without standing behind the car and having someone drive slowly and watch the bottom as it rotates.
Well I did not have the time for it that morning, and trusting the dealer just said, "hey I hear clicking so I assume there is either a rock or nail. Could you check it out while in for the oil change?"

The tire was not losing air either so I was hoping for the rock scenario and surprised to get the nail scenario and even more so to get the cant be fixed scenario....I checked with tire shops AND the mfg right away as I just did not buy it and found what you all have confirmed.

As of today still no leak and put a few hundred miles on it so that seems to confirm either no nail puncture ever existed OR I have a set of the worlds first self helping tires!

It just burns me though they in no uncertain terms told me there was a nail and described exactly where it was and they did not remove it.
I think they took a chance andi called the bluff...many customers would trust them to do the right thing and ok the repairs sight unseen I'm sure.

I'd like to think my dealer would be the foremost expert on everything about my corvette vs the mystery mechanic down the street but it seems not so much these days.

Quick Reply: Dealer told me basic nail puncture in run flats could not be repaired?!