Sponsored by:

ACS Zero7 and Z06 Stage 1 splitter on AW in Carbon Flash

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 12:56 PM
StingerBG
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Default ACS Zero7 and Z06 Stage 1 splitter on AW in Carbon Flash

Just got my ACS Zero 7 (Z06 style) rocker skirts and my Z06 stage 1 splitter put on my car. It was an entire DIY learning experience for me. Prepped, painted and polished them all by myself (of course using Glen e's method). Also covered them myself in XPel before putting them on. I will say, they definitely turned out better than I thought they were going to!! I will eventually get some better pics but these will do for now. Oh and sorry the car looks so bright, these were taken in low light so I had to focus my camera on the asphalt so I could actually see the pieces.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:22 PM
harpster58
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very Nice! Can you give us some install details and any pointers you learned? Also did you use tape or drill new holes per ACS recommendation? That's what has been holding me back on this... thanks!
Old 05-22-2015, 03:36 PM
StingerBG
Pro

Originally Posted by harpster58
Very Nice! Can you give us some install details and any pointers you learned? Also did you use tape or drill new holes per ACS recommendation? That's what has been holding me back on this... thanks!
Yeah I waited a LONG time before installing them because I knew if I was going to I would be drilling holes because I don't like using tape for aero parts, and I was afraid of there being visible holes in the car if I didn't like them. But once it was on, it wasn't all that bad! I actually liked the skirts and splitter more in person than I thought I would. I also used the supplied pop rivets. Some people are worried about having to drill the rivets out to get the pieces off...but I hope to never have to take them off, and if I do then it's just a matter of drilling them out, no big deal. The front splitter I put on using the factory bolts that you have to take out and re-use (8-10 of those) plus 4 pop rivets in the front 4 open holes. Didn't really see the need for all the other rivets. It was a fairly simple install. While I was down there, I went ahead and took the small air dams off. I know they're for directing air around the tires at high speeds, but I doubt I'll ever really need them. Also, be sure to have a good jack and jack stands if that's how you plan on lifting the car. I actually had to buy a low-profile car jack (got a good deal on a 3-ton pittsburgh jack for $89!). For the rocker skirts, you have to remove and reuse 5 small screws. I took those off put the skirt up and put them back in to hold the skirt in place. Don't tighten those down all the way though because you may need to shift the skirt a little for alignment. I did it all, by myself, but it would be a touch easier if you have a helping hand...but still do-able by yourself. If you're going to cover the skirts in a clear bra first, do so before installing them on the car. I really like the ACS zero 7 style because they offer protection on the car plus the shape allows you to still be able to get in and out very easily.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:11 PM
harpster58
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the details - REALLY HELPS!

I've looked at all the these Z0& style skirts but keep going back to ACS for looks. I have a white Vert and looking forward to getting them installed but I'l probably just buy them painted as I tend to screw up that kind of stuff
Old 05-23-2015, 08:25 AM
kiley2418
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Very nice!!
Old 05-23-2015, 06:07 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,936 Likes on 4,815 Posts

Looks good, nice job.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:05 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,772 Likes on 4,193 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Well done.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:10 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,479 Likes on 14,071 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Nicely done. The additions to the car look great.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:30 PM
sandcracker21
Pro

Received 521 Likes on 185 Posts

any issue with parking blocks or total clearance with this splitter?
Old 06-07-2015, 10:15 PM
StingerBG
Pro

Originally Posted by sandcracker21
any issue with parking blocks or total clearance with this splitter?
No more than normal with this car. The splitter alone only dropped the front about another inch. Basically, if I hit anything with this splitter, I would've hit it with the bumper anyways...
Old 06-08-2015, 04:00 AM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

Good job.

I wasn't able to get my skirts on today. I didn't have the fasteners I wanted. Oh, well...
Not really into the rivet idea. I know they will need to come off at some point to be repainted.

However, I did finish the Z06 grill and Z06 splitter. I'll post more photos under my own thread.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:21 AM
StingerBG
Pro

Originally Posted by ///ADMAN
Good job.

I wasn't able to get my skirts on today. I didn't have the fasteners I wanted. Oh, well...
Not really into the rivet idea. I know they will need to come off at some point to be repainted.

However, I did finish the Z06 grill and Z06 splitter. I'll post more photos under my own thread.
Looks good! I just used the pop rivets....and here's my reasoning, which some may want to take into consideration (although scrivets may work fine too, just a bigger hole needs to be drilled)....but if the splitter/skirts do actually need to come back off at some point, then re-installed, if using a screw type of fastener, you really run the risk of eventually stripping out the hole that you are screwing into considering you are actually only threading into a fiberglass composite material. Once it is stripped your only options are to either then pop rivet/scrivet that hole, or go to a bigger screw type. IMO, pop rivets really are not THAT hard to take out, just drill them out with a drill bit. Plus the pop rivets will hold the splitter better than screw type. This is all just my opinion however!
Old 06-08-2015, 08:49 PM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

Well nuts do not "screw" into the material. They expand behind the material and are completely reusable. You can easily take the splitter on and off as much as you need. I went with screwhead expansion rivets. Same effect for half the price. Either way...

Old 06-08-2015, 09:31 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Looks great! Congrats.

Get notified of new replies

To ACS Zero7 and Z06 Stage 1 splitter on AW in Carbon Flash

Quick Reply: ACS Zero7 and Z06 Stage 1 splitter on AW in Carbon Flash